Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Polypropylene Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Re: Read This [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1106221 - 12/03/02 02:16 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah Randall, I did. And I told the manager of the theatre and got the phone number of corporate and told them too. I told them:

"I will never be back."

I have only broken that promise once. Lord of the Rings, last year

I will see The Two Towers this month and watch myself in a movie called "Gods and Generals" in February

God only knows how much money I've saved. For a long long time movies were my thing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Read This [Re: ]
    #1106439 - 12/03/02 06:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't consider depriving oneself of mass media to be a good way of keeping informed. Alternative publications are just as plagued by biases and misinformation as the mainstream media. The best way of staying informed is to get information from all sources.

I don't think anyone could possibly believe that they have a good grasp on popular culture today if they didn't watch any television at all. Usually, "I don't watch any TV" is a veiled way of saying, "I think I'm smarter than everyone".

If you also don't read newspapers and magazines, how do you stay informed?

The funny thing about that article was that it claims propaganda is a bad thing, and then provides a link to Adbusters. Adbusters is the epitome of rhetoric and propaganda. Sure, I agree with some of the things they have to say, but they say it in the same heavy handed I-know-what's-best-for-everybody kind of way that world leaders do.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Read This [Re: Phluck]
    #1106885 - 12/03/02 11:20 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Excellent post, Phluck. Well-reasoned, well-presented, and dead-on accurate.

I am currently on my semi-annual vacation in Ottawa, Canada (I live in the Dominican Republic) and I am gorging myself on TV programs, newspapers, and magazines. My usual source of information on current affairs is the Internet, and the net just can't compete (yet) with the print media, especially newspapers. I can get newspapers in the Dominican Republic, but they're hideously expensive (except for the Dominican papers, which are hideously inadequate) and the selection is pretty much restricted to the Miami Herald and USA Today (barf) so I rarely buy any.

While it is true that no single publication will present ALL available info on a particular issue, if I had to choose just one I would vote for The Economist. While I am sure they have their own editorial bias, in my opinion it is less than that of any other magazine I have discovered to date. They certainly beat the hell out of Time and Newsweek and MacLean's.

pinky

--------------------

Anonymous

#1107279 - 12/03/02 01:48 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I understand your viewpoint but I have a slightly different take on the matter.

And the reason to be informed is? If you will notice I do not comment very much on world affairs. There is a reason for that. First, I am uninformed. Secondly, it has very little to do with how I govern my affairs.

There is this pervasive idea out there that one absolutely has to know the latest scandal in Washington or on the International Scene in order to know what to have for dinner. And to that I say, "Hogwash."

Although I am very politically active I prize my emotional health above the ingestion of information that sickens me. You should read a bit of Dr. Andrew Weil on this subject.

I have peace of mind. Do you?

And the reason to be knowledgeable about popular culture is?

The nature of man has not changed in millenia and probably will never change. Of what use is popular culture to me? Will it help me govern my affairs? We it help me politically? I seem to do quite well without it. When I was young I was all about popular culture too. Now that I am older I realize there is more to life than the latest cd by my 'fav' rock star.

In reply to:

Usually, "I don't watch any TV" is a veiled way of saying, "I think I'm smarter than everyone".

Yes, well like all personal interpretations that opinion is as likely to be incorrect as correct. I could interpret your entire post as saying you thought you were better than me because you are "informed". But would that make it so? Hardly.

If you feel that being informed about the war with Iraq will help you to govern your personal affairs then by all means be informed. I just doubt that it will amount to a hill of beans (your being informed). You are as entitled to govern your life as I am mine.

Take notice that I did not castigate you for your opinion. I am not sure of the reciprocity.

Be well,

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

#1107485 - 12/03/02 03:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Popular culture, whether it be high brow literature, or a commercial for ass wax, is a direct feed from the conciousness of our society.

By following popular culture, you will be exposed to great works of art, and the collective opinions, perceptions, and revelations of our society.

The best thing is, you have access to so much of it. All the good, and all the bad. With past works of art, all the unpopular stuff has been filtered out, and you're just left with what a select group has deemed to be the 'classics'.

"I have peace of mind. Do you?"

I'm happy.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson

Anonymous

#1107676 - 12/03/02 03:58 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, that is a good point. When we expose ourselves to those sources of information we are in contact with the 'mainstream' and the collective consciousness. And there are advantages and disadvantages in that. For me personally I find the contact to be cumbersome for doing the job that needs to be done. It's distracting and depressing at the same time.

There's another viewpoint on the classics. When a song or a book or a piece of art has passed through a generation or two and still found to have value it is a better piece of work. Some of the music I grew up with is still around for a reason, I think. It was good music. Stairway to Heaven was a good song and many people still enjoy it. There are other songs that hit the airwaves and were never heard of again. Sometimes that was because they weren't very good.

Of course this brings us to the conundrum of whether a piece of art should be judged valuable by the 'unwashed masses' in the first place. Who is to say that the massmind is any better at judging a piece than a single individual?

Which brings back to the other point. The collective consciousness maybe good for some things but helping one establish peace of mind might not be one of them.

I view peace and happiness to be quite different animals. If I had to choose between the two I know which one I'd rather have. I am happy from time to time but most of the time I am at peace whether I am happy or not.

Good thoughts.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Read This [Re: Phred]
    #1107866 - 12/03/02 05:41 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

USA Today

You poor poor guy. USA Today is as cheesy as it gets, besides the "Globe" style supermarket rags.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: Read This [Re: Murex]
    #1108137 - 12/03/02 08:02 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I like the "culture jamming".  There's a billboard in my neighborhood that does a good job i think.  It's an American flag superimposed with peace sign and bombs.  It's kinda cool. i'll post a pic. :smile: 

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#1108182 - 12/03/02 08:33 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

"I wouldn't consider depriving oneself of mass media to be a good way of keeping informed. Alternative publications are just as plagued by biases and misinformation as the mainstream media. The best way of staying informed is to get information from all sources."

I agree

"I don't think anyone could possibly believe that they have a good grasp on popular culture today if they didn't watch any television at all."

A good grasp on popular culture is something I think more people outta avoid.

"Usually, "I don't watch any TV" is a veiled way of saying, "I think I'm smarter than everyone"."

If everyone didn't watch TV, we would all be smarter.

"If you also don't read newspapers and magazines, how do you stay informed?"

By watching TV. HAHAHA! Just kidding.

No, seriously, I don't think it can be overstressed how crappy TV is. Not so much the device itself, but the widespread addiction to it and worship of it (and, of course, the programming). I mean it's just a standard thing for there to be a TV at the center of every home or home away from home. The TV should be something you should have to wheel out of the closet every now and then, instead of the centerpiece of comfort. I keep mine stashed away unless im going to play PS2 or watch a movie or south park or something. And as for staying "informed", that's a dangerous idea. Most of the information propagated by the media is either trivial, politically skewed, or useless. Or worse.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1108215 - 12/03/02 08:50 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I watch World News, but it's really a Europe/American News show.  :tongue:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Read This [Re: Viveka]
    #1108259 - 12/03/02 09:06 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

There is good programming on TV, it's just less common than the bad stuff.

Is television watching really that bad? Would someone actually be 'smarter' if they didn't watch TV? I don't watch that much compared to a lot of people I know, maybe an hour a day, tops.

I don't know if TV will be with us for that much longer. It's going to merge with the internet pretty soon.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1108580 - 12/03/02 11:01 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I watch "The Daily Show,' it gives the best perspective on current events that I know of on television.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Read This [Re: Evolving]
    #1109759 - 12/04/02 11:40 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I know you're probably joking, but I do think that the Daily Show is probably the best satire currently on US television.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1109813 - 12/04/02 12:09 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I watch it more than any single regular news program. You can look at human follies as tragedy or comedy, I prefer comedy whenever I can see it.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

#1111162 - 12/04/02 07:10 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

That's a good way to see it!  :wink:

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
Re: Read This [Re: Murex]
    #1111730 - 12/04/02 09:43 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I skimmed it. I wonder have you ever taken a media analysis class. It taught me pretty much the same things i saw in your article. It also taught me how devious advertisors can be. Also the way our government shamelessly manipulates the media. (You think the press is free, your wrong)

I spend far more time in the Shroomery than i do watching T.V. When i do watch T.V. it's usually something on the discovery or learning channel. I occasionally watch a Sci-Fi movie or two.

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Re: Read This [Re: 3eyedgod]
    #1111980 - 12/04/02 10:59 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

No. Taking 5 dried grams and opening my 3rd eye allows me to see the world and society under a new light.

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1112105 - 12/04/02 11:48 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I've realized something strange about commercials. Rarely do I buy something because of a commercial I saw, If I do, it's because of the facts about the product that caught my attention.

I was just watching a commercial for sattelite internet, and it pissed me off because they never came out and told me what I wanted to know:

How much does it cost? Initial investment, and monthly fees.
What are the Upstream/Downstream speeds?
How does Sattelite latency compare to ground lines?

None of that just "Our product is great, their product is stupid!"

Another thing I've noticed, sometimes a commercial will cause me to crave somethng OTHER than what the commercial is for. For example, a commercial for KFC comes on and i think to myself "Mmmmm... PIZZA!"

The commercial was for chicken, not pizza, but I didn't want any chicken at the time, I wanted pizza. Quite often commercials do result in me buying something, but hardly ever is it what the commercial was for.

All the food people should get together into "The Food Council", and just have commercials for "Food".

(singing)
"Food, glorious food, so edible, and tasty."

(speaking)

Isn't food great? Wouldn't you like some food right now? Some fish would be nice right now, wouldn't it. Perhaps you'd like something baked, or fried. Here are some pictures of food you might be interested in."

(Shows pictures of food)

"Mmm boy! that's some good eatin. Go out and buy some food right now!"

(Smiles)

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1112119 - 12/04/02 11:55 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

More Americans get their news from The Daily Show, than from any other country.

:cool:

--------------------
This space for rent

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Re: Read This [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1112837 - 12/05/02 06:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

No shit, so the country in which the Daily Show is aired, is the country in which viewers watch it? Well I'll be damned.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Polypropylene Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates