Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use'
    #11003584 - 09/05/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Helen Kreft

Burton Mail

Saturday 05 Sep 2009

A BURTON town centre store selling items branded with cannabis leaves has been accused of promoting drug use.
Horninglow and Eton parish councillor Barry Martin says Gimme Gizmo, in Coopers Square, is ‘giving out the wrong message’ to youngsters by selling gifts such as clocks carrying a logo depicting the Class B drug.

The store, which sells toys and gadgets, as well as some adults toys, is also advertising a neon light in the shape of a cannabis leaf with pictures of cannabis leaves in the background on the box. The shop also sells car air fresheners in the shape of the distinctive cannabis leaf. These items are positioned close to the entrance of the shop.

Councillor Martin said: “We don’t want it in Burton town centre or in Swadlincote. It is not acceptable.

“They are promoting soft drug use and are making it seem cool and glamorous.

“Soft drugs can lead to harder drugs and eventually the cemetery. There have been examples of this in Burton recently.

“This firm should be highlighted and put on the spot. We need to say yes we want your business but not that kind of business.

“This shop is in Coopers Square. What are they (centre management) doing about it? Why have there not been better checks? “This is sending out the wrong message to young people, who are very impressionable.”

Councillor Martin contacted the Mail after reading a story in yesterday’s paper about how a ‘high energy’ drink called Simply Cocaine – which also features a cartoon character called Charlie on the bottle – was being distributed from Swadlincote.

Critics have called for it to be banned, branding the drink’s name ‘totally irresponsible’.

However Garry Shepherd, of Simply Drinks, said the name was ‘a bit of fun’ and that rock stars used drug references in their songs. He said a perfume called Opium was also available.

The Mail tried to contact Gimme Gizmo’s management company, Birmingham-based wholesaler Discount Radio and Watch Ltd, but no one was available for comment.

A Coopers Square spokesman said centre management only dealt with security and cleaning, and could not comment on the products sold by individual shops.

by Helen Kreft helen.kreft@staffordshirenewspapers.co.uk

http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burtonmail-news/displayarticle.asp?id=446692

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #11003603 - 09/05/09 10:16 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

seems very dumb to me. shops are getting criticized for selling t shirts with a cannabis leaf on them. when cannabis causes no harm to anyone. but other shops get no criticisms for selling t-shirts with pictures of guns on, when guns are made to kill people. might just be me that's confused.:confused:

Edited by ShroomerRoss (09/05/09 10:19 AM)

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #11003616 - 09/05/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Soft drugs Alcohol can lead to harder drugs and eventually the cemetery. There have been examples of this in Burton recently.

fixed.

Do they really think cannabis merchandise isn't available at other places, say.... the internet?

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

OfflineSmitington
Unidentified Flying Object
Male

Loc: Mushroom Kingdom
Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: Green_T]
    #11003804 - 09/05/09 11:15 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I guess they don't believe in freedom of speech and expression

--------------------

Offlinediminutiveshroom
Ecologist
Male User Gallery

Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: Smitington]
    #11003908 - 09/05/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like Spencers

--------------------

OfflineSunshineDaydream
Journeyman
Male User Gallery

Loc: OK Flag
Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: diminutiveshroom]
    #11003920 - 09/05/09 11:51 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

^^^
that's what i was thinkin

Invisiblebuddhabadger
Evil Overlord

Loc: The Forest
Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: SunshineDaydream]
    #11003967 - 09/05/09 12:06 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like Councillor Martin's been paying too much attention to Jacqui Smiths' bullshit. Hurrah for more gateway drug think of the children nonsense.

--------------------
- I don't abuse drugs; in fact, I think I treat them quite nicely. -

InvisibleDango_Bill
Seven
Female User Gallery

Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: buddhabadger]
    #11004090 - 09/05/09 12:35 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Time for me to go order a case of this Simply Cocaine energy drink. I do like me some caffeine.

Offlinesnowglobe
\(^o^)/

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' *DELETED* [Re: Dango_Bill]
    #11004242 - 09/05/09 01:05 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by snowglobe

Reason for deletion: personal reasons

Invisibleelementswrath
Finger' trippin good
Male User Gallery

Loc: suiciety Flag
Re: UK: Store 'Promoting Drug Use' [Re: snowglobe]
    #11004980 - 09/05/09 03:42 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

the only things i have with marijuana logos on is my zippo.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals