Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineribbit
up till dawn

U.S. World Police
    #1098987 - 11/30/02 07:47 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

US World Police

im not trying to reflame an old subject, however, as more controversy dealing with the US arrises....i come to think.

i don't know how many of you are US veterans? but i am, and i would like to hear what you thought of your military experience, not that your chain of comand sucked or whatnot, but rather how you felt about doing what you were. and this mostly pertains to soldiers that were sent over seas...

i myself was in the army from 97-2000, and was sent to korea, ill admit that i had a good experience over there. but now that im older and look back, why exactly did i sacrafice 1 year of my life to serve in a country where i wasn't wanted? despite my genuine beliefe that if we didn't have military presence, the north would invade...we are not wanted over there...

ive come to believe that we are only there to protect not the interest of S. Korea, but the market. you probably don't know how much the US market is over there, the gov't is probably making millions and millions allowing Coke, and Budwieser, and McDonalds and every other american business to flourish there...

my question to you, do you think it is right to put US troops on the line for the sake of making more bucks in the gov't pocket?

if you have a different opinion, id like to hear....

thanks,
ribbit

ps, i was only using korea as an example

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: U.S. World Police [Re: ribbit]
    #1100456 - 12/01/02 08:25 AM (14 years, 9 days ago)

I liked your post. I liked the question...

"do you think it is right to put US troops on the line for the sake of making more bucks in the gov't pocket?"

That's almost it for me. Not quite but the differences are minute.

I REALLY liked...

"ive come to believe that we are only there to protect not the interest of S. Korea, but the market. you probably don't know how much the US market is over there"

Well, that IS it isn't it?

Of course we all know.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Invisiblemr crisper

#1101682 - 12/01/02 09:00 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

click on the pic to enlarge it.
i guess you are not the only one to raise this question.

Offlineribbit
up till dawn

Re: U.S. World Police [Re: mr crisper]
    #1103367 - 12/02/02 10:00 AM (14 years, 8 days ago)

yea, i wish the US was more like canada, they keep a low profile, and are not targeted by terrorists as the US, perhaps we bring it upon ourselves

considering that the US is relatively a new country compared to europe and asia, and since being a super power, perhaps the US doesn't know how to handle or deal with this great power.

it reminds me of when a E5 first gets his stripes, he walks around with his chest expanded, demanding respect and attention from lower enlisted. then we always laugh behind his back.

kinda the same senerio

Invisibleooo
Stranger
    #1104228 - 12/02/02 04:20 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

reasons for extended international military presense: general US hegemony across the globe ("world police"); corporate interests (i.e. Colombia); "protection" of various natural resources (i.e. petro); strategic surrounding of particular future threats (i.e. China, Iran, Pakistan, the sleeping bear, etc); protection of Zionist Israel; protection of various ideological-compatible nations to the US (i.e. most of western Europe).

Is US military hegemony keeping the world safe and free? Not really. Would September 11th had happened if the US were not so blindly protecting and financing Zionist Israel or maintaing military bases in Saudi Arabia or for bombing the Sudanese pharmacutical plant in 1998? I doubt it.

The US Empire is causing enormous trouble globally and will only get worse.

the iron fist behind the invisible hand

Offlinepsilocybinist
Re: U.S. World Police [Re: ooo]
    #1104245 - 12/02/02 04:25 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

Yep! The American government is goin down the drain very quikly. And I just wonder how much longer we can go on like we are before the shit hits the fan. :confused: 

Offlinehtownkid28
pimpin' ain'teasy

Loc: in hell! aahhh!!!!!
    #1104295 - 12/02/02 04:44 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

as a veteran i served my country because i truly wanted to. i felt that it was the best country in the world and was fortunate to be a citizen of it. and after enlisting, if the government felt that i could best serve them by placing me in a foreign country to protect financial interests then so be it. after all thats what the military is there for. to protect any and all interests whether they be people, land, or monetary. i have no regrets. i know there are alot of people now days who enlist just so they can get their college money and don't really care about what they are actually doing. i'm not knocking them as long as they live up to their obligation but i think some of them don't really think about what they are getting into. so by the time they are ready to leave the military they are bitter because they didnt realize the level of sacrifice they were going to have to make. to answer your question, though, i don't feel that it is wrong at all.

--------------------
"in your pockets with red hot rockets!"

"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Offlinepsilocybinist
Re: U.S. World Police [Re: htownkid28]
    #1104521 - 12/02/02 06:07 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

damn! You can tell they got you brainwashed

Offlinehtownkid28
pimpin' ain'teasy

Re: U.S. World Police [Re: psilocybinist]
    #1105004 - 12/02/02 08:52 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

why does that make me brainwashed? just because i believe in something and am not afraid to stand up for it?

--------------------

Anonymous

#1105041 - 12/02/02 09:03 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

the pockets belong to rich men whose children will never see war...

my grandfather died on a beach somewhere in france along with hundreds of his friends... somewhere along the line, ideals changed and a new game was created... as great as this country is, we are hypnotized into accepting a pace of and type of life that enslaves us economically... pits us against one another... convinces us that welfare mothers are our problem. creates social programs that were designed to fail... fails to change energy policies back in the 70's when we stood on line waiting for gas on odd and even days... u want ot talk about national security? our energy policy was a breach of national security... we are being conditioned to not care for one another... but within the same breath... we reach out to one another in ways that offer hope... soon my son will probably be called to serve his country... he will fight against someone else's son, from some other part of the world. for what? energy... access and control of it...

oh i forgot... we're fighting because they despise our way of life... hmmmm .... we are despised because we have remained ignorant to the pain the rest of the world has endured upto this point. one day we will realize the men we hold up as hero's never gave to shits about us... when desperate enemies strap bombs to their bodies and walk into our malls it will be middle class and poor americans who feel the pain...

i hate when a misguided palestinian straps a bomb to themselves and takes the lives of innocent jews... because we have been manipulated by the few who tug on the strings and work below the surface... religion is a tool used to drive a wedge between us... the reality is there is one source of life.... we get all worked up and easily led by fluff... by nonsense...  a small group of men and women have figured out ways to use us against one another for their own means... when an oil company names one of it's oil tankers "the condoleza rice" u gotta wonder what the big picture really is...

i believe another world is possible...

for those who plan on fucking with my shrrom rating... fuck u all! 
:cool:

Edited by Anonymous (12/02/02 09:58 PM)

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
    #1105101 - 12/02/02 09:30 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

I served for 8 years. I did it because I believed in defending my country. But as I grew older, I realized that to date, the US military has NEVER been used for defense (I suppose attacking Japan after Pearl Harbor is the one exception). In the dozens of wars our country has fought in, our military has ONLY been used offensively. To ensure they didn't lose the support of the American people, the Government changed the name of the "Department of War" to the "Department of Defense". I think that trick fooled (and continues to fool) the huge majority of Americans.

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

Offlinehtownkid28
pimpin' ain'teasy

Re: U.S. World Police [Re: GoBlue!]
    #1105151 - 12/02/02 09:49 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

i guess the revolutionary war, the war of 1812, and WWII we were always on the offensive. i must have sat thru a different history class. you could even argue that our troops were used defensively. maybe not in defense of our country but other's. i definitely wouldn't say we were there offensively because what did we really gain?

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1105172 - 12/02/02 09:57 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

My brother was in the marines for 4 years
he just went and enlisted in the army now, and just got made a Sargent (sp?)
when i talk to him on the phone it bothers me how he is all for getting shipped over to Iraq. He totally believes in what America is doing.

it's fucked.

Offlinepsilocybinist
Re: U.S. World Police [Re: Grav]
    #1105260 - 12/02/02 10:22 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Htownkid, I wasn't tryin to attack you. The government has ways to make people think that what there doin is for the greater good when it really isn't. I have known alot of people that have joined the service and really had no clue what they were gettin into. But im sorry for comin off like an asshole, that wasn't my intention.

Anonymous

Re: U.S. World Police [Re: psilocybinist]
    #1105263 - 12/02/02 10:24 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

After WWII, we had to be the world's police. So it continued during the Cold War, when communism had to be contained to prevent nuclear war. I guess Bush #1 and Clinton couldn't bear to give up the title of Pimp of the World.

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Re: U.S. World Police [Re: htownkid28]
    #1105340 - 12/02/02 10:46 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

If you took a history class in the US, you shouldn't have learned that our wars were offensive (that wouldn't make us look very good, now would it?).  As an example of how biased our history books are, I remember studying US history and one of the chapters was called "AMERICA WINS THE SPACE RACE!!!"  This was because we were the 1st country to put a man on the moon.  But let's look at space history:

1957, 1st satellite in space - USSR
1957, 1st animal in space - USSR
1959, 1st man-made object on moon - USSR
1961, 1st human in space - USSR
1963, 1st woman in space - USSR
1965, 1st space walk - USSR
1966, 1st soft moon landing - USSR
1967, 1st death in space - USA
1969, 1st attempt to put man on moon - USSR
1969, 1st man on moon - USA

We WIN!!!  Forget about the following space firsts, the race is over, and the US wins!:

1971, 1st space station - USSR
1976, 1st mars landing - USA
1986, 1st civilian death - USA
1988, 1st human in space for 1 year - USSR

Anyways, you're exactly right in saying "not in defense of our country but others".  That's the spin we put on it.  Did South Vietnam really want our help?  Or did we force it on them?  I guess the answer depends on whether you ask the US or the Vietnamese.  :tongue: 

--------------------

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Re: U.S. World Police [Re: Grav]
    #1105351 - 12/02/02 10:49 PM (14 years, 7 days ago)

Well, as long as your brother is still in, it's good that he believes in what he is doing, since neither he nor any military person can make decisions about war (only civilian polititians can).

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #1105751 - 12/03/02 12:33 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

US needs another wake up call. If they attack this place again, more people will join the military, the gov't will just put out more propaganda to join. Simple.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #1105752 - 12/03/02 12:33 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

US needs another wake up call. If they attack this place again, more people will join the military, the gov't will just put out more propaganda to join. Simple.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

Anonymous

#1106235 - 12/03/02 04:31 AM (14 years, 7 days ago)

the thread has gone off course...

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion