Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRift_Valley
Sporadic
Trip Report: My Balii Mushroom Experience
    #1097939 - 11/30/02 06:12 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

MY FIRST MUSHROOM EXPERIENCE

My first experience was around 1989 in Bali, Indonesia. Up untill then I had heard about mushrooms, but thought that it was only something that hippies did. Anyway I had heard that there was a outdoor resturaunt in Kuta called Midnight Oil that had mushooms, but you had to ask for their 'Special Menue'. Being young and inexperienced as well as nervous I ordered a regular meal. At the end the guy came to me and asked if there was anything else I wanted - as they do. Shyly I asked for there 'Special Menu', and with out any questions he came back with another menue. It was basically the same as the original menu but with mushrooms. (ie) fried rice with mushrooms, fish stuffed with mushrooms, mushroom omellette etc. Any way I decided on the mushroom omellette.
After 10 minutes it arrives, about a 20cm round thin omellet toped with - I realise now - a genrous serving of black thin mushrooms.. Being paranoid and a bit scared I wolfed down the omellete and said to the girlfriend at the time - ' lets go'. The ommellete was the usuall but I remember I had a vey straw like taste.

Anyway after spending around $1.50 AU on the omellete we were off.. I hadn't had mushrooms before and didn't know how what to expect or anything. We catch one of those horse and carts back to Troppo Zone - for all you Auzzies - You know what I mean.... The ride back was less than 10 minutes. I felt absolutely normal.... Untill, I got off the cart.

When I went to pay the guy I unzipped the money belt. Now, you have to imagine the scene. It was around 11pm, Im dressed up in pink shorts and a green flourecent tank top, an baseball cap and my big blue money belt, burnt to a crisp from to sun. But when I unzipped the money belt it was EMPTY!!!! I rechecked, still empty. The girlfriend rechecked and said ' its all there', but dammed if I caould find any money!!! I mean it was still empty when I checked. She ended up paying.

Troppo Zone had one of its usuall parties that night. The "Flouro Party" - when I hit the scence I was grinning from ear to ear but wasn't prepared. All the music and colours was too much. I felt that totally paranoid because of too much sensory imput. So I said to the girlfriend, "take me back to the room".

One in the room arounf 1 hour after ingestion Ii felt really restless. I remember that dreaded feeling, "Am I ever going to return to normal". I had visions of returning to Perth in a straight jacket in 10 days time. I had lost reality of the whole space and time concept. I just sat there at teh end of the bed picking flowers and watching imaginary ant crawling throught the bedspread. I even climbed into the bathtub with all my cloths to try and straighten up!.

It wasn't untill 10 years later that tried mushrooms again, this time in Amsterdam. After being there 3 times I decided to try dried mushrooms. Being more informed and mature it was a much better experience.....

My advise ....
Know about what you are taking.
Create the environment

As for mushroom cultivation.
Follow the teks - to the word
Don't worry too much about sterility. There is a misunderstanding between being sterile and clean ( I know - MPH (Epidemiology and Biostatistics), and currently work in an Infectious Disease Unit).

Now Im in Saudi Arabia for the last 6 years - enjoying mushrooms and making home brew.....

Take it easy Guys......

Edited by geokills (11/30/02 02:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr Wobblehead
WizardExtraordinary &Absolute CocoaSlut

Loc: They tell me it's a hospi...
Re: My Balii Mushroom Experience [Re: Rift_Valley]
    #1098096 - 11/30/02 09:30 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Don't worry too much about sterility. There is a misunderstanding between being sterile and clean ( I know - MPH (Epidemiology and Biostatistics), and currently work in an Infectious Disease Unit).

So are you saying that there is absolutely no chance of infection of cakes if I just rinse things in water instead of sterilising them? I think you're talking out of your arse mate.

Ever heard of

Clostridium perfringens
Clostridium botulinum

It is not difficult to find clostridium spores in organic brown rice flour, or in any vegetable matter. Most growers are aware that mycelium eats up the Oxygen in closed jars quite easily leaving the perfect environment for spore forming anaerobic bacteria to have a three day illegal rave party from hell.

The main reason that the sealed cans and jars that you buy in supermarkets are pressure cooked (BY LAW) when they are packed is to destroy these very bacteria. So are all these canning companies and our national food agencies just being stupid? If you knew about something other than infectious diseases, like food poisoning disease you might also be aware that there is a huge history of dead people who home canned and jarred vegetables and meats and didn't sterilise them properly in a pressure environment. Most of those people died from botulism (yes, died), a lot of other people were seriously fucked up by it.

Would you submit to a surgeon who washes his instruments in fairy liquid and dries them on a tea towel? No you wouldn't. So don't tell other people that sterilisation isn't important. Could you imagine walking into your dentist to see him using the sink instead of an autoclave, would you let that person shove those instruments in your body?

If you are playing around with something edible that is going to be left in warm moist conditions for several weeks then it needs sterilising not just cleaning.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Trip Report: My Balii Mushroom Experience [Re: Rift_Valley]
    #1098619 - 11/30/02 02:42 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Well, it sounds like you had an interesting experience.  I hope I can find a restaurant one day that will serve me from their 'special menu' :grin:

As far as sterility, I agree that many people go overboard in being extremely cautious - however, that is not necessarily a bad thing.  Contams do happen, and you should be as clean as possible, but in most circumstances, common sense will get you far. 

But to all you new growers out there, take head to Mr Wobblehead's words.  Sterilization is important, and should always be done for a grow op.  When I speak of 'common sense' and not being overly cautious, I'm only referring to intermediate steps in the grow process - for example, when casing, or handling colonized cakes, it is not necessary to create a glovebox or to use special instruments to ensure completely sterile contact... again, not that it's a bad idea, but under most circumstances you'll be fine if you're careful and clean.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflinePoopman
Man of Poop
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Trip Report: My Balii Mushroom Experience [Re: geokills]
    #1107954 - 12/03/02 06:26 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hey, that sounds like an awesome time you had in Bali. Guess what, I'll be going to Bali in 3 weeks! I will also be going to Hong Kong, Indonesia, Bankok, and a few other places that I forget. I am going with my family however and I probably will not be able to have any experiences like you had. Anyways, I hear the drug laws in Bali are very extreme and are punishable by death, this may be more recent though as I also heard that mushrooms were not illegal during the time you went to Bali. If you can, please elaborate about your trip either in this post or in a PM. Thanks.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures