Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN]
    #10543420 - 06/20/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op
June 20, 2009 - DailyGleaner.com

A Fredericton man with an affinity for magic mushrooms will find out later this summer if he will be going to jail.

Sean Douglas Cottrell, formerly of Dunns Crossing Road, appeared for sentencing Friday in provincial court on three drug-related charges stemming from the discovery in November of a massive magic-mushroom grow operation at his southside apartment.

Seized drugs had a potential street value of almost $50,000.

Cottrell, 27, pleaded guilty earlier to production, possession and trafficking charges under the Controlled Drug and Substances Act.

Judge Camille Dumas listened to arguments on sentencing Friday and set the matter over until Aug. 31.

Dumas said he needed the time to consider what had been presented to him - information that included more than 100 pages of submitted case law.

Crown prosecutor William Corby said members of the Fredericton Police Force were called to 120 Dunns Crossing Rd. on Nov. 7.

They were alerted because the building's maintenance supervisor had responded to some water damage at that location and had entered one of the apartments when no one was home.

He thought was he saw was unusual and was unsure whether what he saw was dangerous, the court was told.

Corby said the department's drug section obtained a search warrant and eventually entered the apartment in protective gear.

What they found was an apartment geared primarily for the growing of magic mushrooms, a drug that can cause a powerful hallucinogenic effect.

Among the items officers discovered were tubing, humidifiers, tubs of rice flour, large stainless steel sterilization pots and almost 700 Mason jars.

The jars were being used to grow the psilocybin or magic mushrooms.

There was also more than $12,000 in cash, as well as some marijuana.

Corby said the accused provided a lengthy statement to police in which he admitted using marijuana and growing magic mushrooms.

"He admitted to selling magic mushrooms," Corby said.

"Most of the money seized (was) from the sale of mushrooms."

The prosecutor said Cottrell was remorseful and co-operative following his arrest.

Corby said the potential street value of the magic mushrooms being grown was between $27,000 and $40,000, with the value of mushrooms already grown and dried between $6,500 to $9,800.

"The amounts of drugs are certainly indicative of something more than a hobby," Corby said.

Dumas wondered if the mushrooms were considered a hard or soft drug.

"This is more akin to marijuana and hashish than it would be to heroin or cocaine," Corby said.

He asked the court that Cottrell be given a lengthy period of incarceration in provincial jail.

"Going to jail is a general deterrence more than a conditional sentence," he said.

Defence counsel Gary Miller asked that his client be given a conditional sentence of house arrest.

Miller said Cottrell has been up front about the entire operation, telling and sharing everything he could with police.

"The pre-sentence report expresses very clearly the remorse that he felt."

Miller also presented the court with letters of support for his client, including at least two from his employers, in which he was described as hard-working, courteous, kind, reliable and modest.

In addition to those letters, Miller also filed a letter of apology Cottrell had written to both his landlord and parents.

Miller said he has never had a client who was so co-operative with police or as remorseful.

The defence lawyer said a conditional sentence, to be served at his parents' home, will allow his client to keep his job.

"I urge this court to show some mercy for this young man," he said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: veggie]
    #10543762 - 06/20/09 05:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Among the items officers discovered were tubing, humidifiers, tubs of rice flour, large stainless steel sterilization pots and almost 700 Mason jars.

Now whoh, this guy had this big of a grow op without moving on from the PF tek? Cause that's what it sounds like.

I mean shit dude 700 mason jars, did he make an order straight from the manufacturer or something?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlinenickelz34
Fungi Eater

Loc: Quebec, Canada Flag
Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: veggie]
    #10543773 - 06/20/09 05:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

gosh i feel bad for they guy at least he had a job and everything. but that all still does not overcome the fact that he was selling. we should be growning for our own use and if anything else be giving to friends NOT selling . if he would not have been growing so much there would not have been that kind of water damage. idk how he would have gotten water damage like that if he was doing it right. i see lots of probation and prob restitution for damages other than that he will be ok even though that is a lot of shrooms lol

--------------------
Super Easy LC

Shroomerys secrets to free things !! All users contribute!!

The reason my post count is so low is because I know how to use the  search option on this site

Rotten Status : closed site gone

OfflineJusListen
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: HERE
Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: nickelz34]
    #10543832 - 06/20/09 05:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nickelz34 said:
gosh i feel bad for they guy at least he had a job and everything. but that all still does not overcome the fact that he was selling. we should be growning for our own use and if anything else be giving to friends NOT selling .

AGREED :thumbup:

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#10543883 - 06/20/09 05:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nickelz34 said:idk how he would have gotten water damage like that if he was doing it right. i see lots of probation and prob restitution for damages other than that he will be ok even though that is a lot of shrooms lol

I bet that he was running a greenhouse or two in there if he was doing hundreds of BRF cakes. Greenhouses can be tricky because water condenses on the bottom. If one was working while running this serious of a setup I could see something like this happening easily.

Apartments are not the place to run mushroom farms and it is a shame that the law chooses to persecute our brethren whom cultivate the "forbidden fruits" of the mushroom world.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlinecool33

Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10544188 - 06/20/09 07:36 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

How does he find time to run an operation like that and sell and have a job?

OfflineRitual
Spore Collecter
Male

Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: cool33]
    #10544963 - 06/20/09 10:48 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

His only problem in my eye is that he bit off more then he should have.  I seriously hope the guy doesnt go to jail though.  Something like this is not worth locking another human being up in a cell.  There should be sensible regulation like you cant give them to a minor or operate a vehicle,  but growing and selling them to other adults should be OK in a free society.

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

#10545029 - 06/20/09 11:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
Quote:

Now whoh, this guy had this big of a grow op without moving on from the PF tek? Cause that's what it sounds like.

I mean shit dude 700 mason jars, did he make an order straight from the manufacturer or something?

That's really not THAT much for a commercial grow op.  It's not unusual for home cultivators to have over a hundred quart jars, although at that point, one might think of switching to mycobags.

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: Stealthgrower]
    #10545104 - 06/20/09 11:15 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

man if it takes you accumulating 100 jars to switch to bags you got patience.

Quote:

How does he find time to run an operation like that and sell and have a job?

obviously by cutting corners on humidity systems maintenance.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10545681 - 06/21/09 01:31 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
Quote:

Yeah, the guy obviously doesn't know jack shit about what he's doing.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Offlinepftek

Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: shroomzey]
    #10545732 - 06/21/09 01:48 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

rice flour? wtf is this?

700 1/2 pint jars - ROFLMAO. Have fun with that.

Offlinepasucks
Stranger
Male

Loc: pennsyltuckey
    #10546564 - 06/21/09 08:55 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nickelz34 said:
gosh i feel bad for they guy at least he had a job and everything. but that all still does not overcome the fact that he was selling. we should be growning for our own use and if anything else be giving to friends NOT selling . if he would not have been growing so much there would not have been that kind of water damage. idk how he would have gotten water damage like that if he was doing it right. i see lots of probation and prob restitution for damages other than that he will be ok even though that is a lot of shrooms lol

We should be doing what ever the fuck we want with a substance that grows out of the GROUND selling to children is off limits but in a free country (which we don't live in) you have the right to pursue any business adventure as long as your not hurting anybody.

"The pre-sentence report expresses very clearly the remorse that he felt."

Yea remorse for getting caught, and what kind of dumb ass is working with 700 jars and not even doing casings with bird seed or something lol what a nut bag.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Man awaits sentencing for magic-mushroom grow op [CAN] [Re: pasucks]
    #10548588 - 06/21/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I have seen some here say that they can get crazy yields off of cakes and I've seen pics that can vouch as well. I would never try to touch cakes again for anything short of testing an isolate of some kind. The reason is expense and the amount of time it takes to produce such a small substrate. I got organic BRF for 49 cents/100kg and that's kinda pricey I think it was 29c for the inorganic kind. While lawn clippings, some manure (cardboard if you have a wood-eating species) and sometimes sawdust/wood-shavings/wood-chips are easily free if you collect/find them. That's on top of all the other great substrates that are dirt cheap to buy.

I have to wonder if he was of the one category or the other. Well, suffice it to say, I don't think he was a shroomery member. Sounds more like he got his info off of eroid.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinepftek

#10548811 - 06/21/09 05:07 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I wonder what his sentence will be...

I bet canada is a lot less intense than the U.S.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Man gets jail time for turning home into magic-mushroom farm [Re: veggie]
    #10985892 - 09/02/09 11:18 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

A Fredericton man who turned his southside apartment into a magic-mushroom drug operation was denied his request for a conditional sentence of house arrest Monday and was instead jailed for six months.

Sean Douglas Cottrell, 28, formerly of 120 Dunns Crossing Rd., previously pleaded guilty to Nov. 7 charges of production of magic mushrooms, possession of magic mushrooms for the purpose of trafficking and possession of marijuana.

The illegal grow-op was discovered by the building supervisor, who had to enter Cottrell's apartment when he wasn't home.

In passing sentence, provincial court Judge Camille Dumas said he had to balance mitigating and aggravating factors.

Among the former are the facts that Cottrell has no prior criminal record and has shown genuine remorse for his actions.

On the other side, he said, were the facts that Cottrell had a sophisticated, well-planned and lucrative drug operation.

"The crime is not one of impulse or momentary lapse in judgment," Dumas said.

Police officers found mushrooms worth $25,000-$45,000 on the street and $12,000 in cash in Cottrell's apartment after they were summoned to the residence by the building supervisor.

Dumas said granting a conditional sentence of house arrest would send the wrong message to the public, as it would be less likely to deter others from engaging in a similar criminal enterprise.

In addition to the six-month jail sentence, Dumas imposed fines and victim-fine surcharges totalling $430, a 10-year firearms prohibition and one year of probation.

During his probation, Cottrell must undergo counselling for addiction to illegal drugs.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/rss/article/779187

--------------------
http://heffter.org

InvisibleArden
לנשום

Loc: Α & Ω Flag
Re: Man gets jail time for turning home into magic-mushroom farm [Re: motaman]
    #10989577 - 09/02/09 10:28 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

They were alerted because the building's maintenance supervisor had responded to some water damage at that location and had entered one of the apartments when no one was home.

Fucker probably responded faster to the fungi than he did the water damage.

Out of control water brings mold, bacteria, mosquitoes, tsunamis, and Pamela Anderson.

Mushrooms bring enlightenment.

Throw his ass in jail.

OfflineDrShroomkenstein
Freelance Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: The south, the deep south
Re: Man gets jail time for turning home into magic-mushroom farm [Re: motaman]
    #10993423 - 09/03/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

700 jars good goongamoonga http://www.shroomery.org/forums/images/icons/eek.gif . Why not go bulk in bags then transfer to large tubs?

--------------------
Take two of these and call me in the morning, and GET OFF MY LAWN!!

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Re: Man gets jail time for turning home into magic-mushroom farm [Re: DrShroomkenstein]
    #10993477 - 09/03/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

like others who use cakes, he probibly didn't want to buy a pressure cooker.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck