Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Supposed nature of man
    #1098021 - 11/30/02 10:15 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Why do people think that it's in man's nature to fight each other for power?

I see people who think like that as being stuck in the past. The primitive environment and fear of the unknown forced man to hoard wealth and ensure his survival. Now we have the possibility to communicate with all people on earth and arrive at solutions that work for everyone. There doesn't have to be anymore fear.

Our nature is always evolving with our environment and gained knowledge. Why are there these supposed negative roots we can't overcome? It's like saying because you were confused and cried alot as a little kid, that it would be impossible for you to understand and cope with reality as you grew up.

Its like people are afraid to look at the possibilites, cuz it's easier to just say we're bound by our history.
There has to be a time when understanding and compassion will rule and we'll never look back.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Supposed nature of man [Re: Grav]
    #1098061 - 11/30/02 10:57 AM (14 years, 14 days ago)

In reply to:

Why do people think that it's in man's nature to fight each other for power?

I see people who think like that as being stuck in the past....

It is the nature of some men to fight each other for power. To deny or ignore the realities which confront us, hampers our abilities to overcome their negative consequences. Some of us are able to overcome our 'negative roots,' but it is reasonable to assume that many will not. We should adjust our behaviors in acknowledgement of this.

In reply to:

Now we have the possibility to communicate with all people on earth and arrive at solutions that work for everyone.

An admirable goal, but who determines what is a 'solution for everyone' and what happens when some reject such solutions or feel that they are not proper for them?

In reply to:

Its like people are afraid to look at the possibilites, cuz it's easier to just say we're bound by our history.
There has to be a time when understanding and compassion will rule and we'll never look back.

History is the foundation of the present and a teacher to guide us in the building of the future. We should always look back, lest we forget the lessons of history and repeat the mistakes of the past.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Supposed nature of man [Re: Evolving]
    #1099493 - 11/30/02 11:34 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

I guess most of my post is based on wishful thinking and not reality...

Of course we should always be conscious of the past and learn from it, I just can't accept that because some men have always fought for power, that it is impossible for everyone to chill out eventually.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology