Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Loc: N America
A TERARIUM THE SIZE OF A SHOE BOX?
    #1096555 - 11/29/02 04:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hi all, got ANOTHER newbie question, here goes:
I have 3 tupperware containers full of NICE colonizing pieces of BRF/VERM cake with PES hawaiian mycelium taking completely over...
This is the question part. I can't build a large terarium with a humidifyer, or case them...
How can I get fruit?
Would getting a nice plastic container w/ lid, bottom lined with soaked perlite work?
This is what I want to do...
Get a small clear container, sterilize and lined with wet perlite. Then sterilize some masonj jar lids, place the crumbled cake on them in small piles, then mist and put the lid back on to bring back mycelial growth, after a few days, I will fruit, by misting and fanning 4 times daily...Would this work?
I am goin extremely small scale for now, until I get the method down and see some fruit before I go big....
ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated... THANKS ALL!

--------------------
We are the counter-culturaly elite...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: A TERARIUM THE SIZE OF A SHOE BOX? [Re: moorhsum]
    #1096567 - 11/29/02 05:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

I have 3 tupperware containers full of NICE colonizing pieces of BRF/VERM cake with PES hawaiian mycelium taking completely over...

I don't quite understand, how do you have "pieces" of brf/verm? Please explain this and how you sterilized this.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineGLOCK_357
Bezerker
Loc: hell
    #1096572 - 11/29/02 05:02 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

why are ure cakes crumbled and why can u case and why the hell did ure cakes not colonize through and through. even if had whole cakes that werent crap ud have to sterilize everything including perlite

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Re: A TERARIUM THE SIZE OF A SHOE BOX? [Re: GLOCK_357]
    #1096759 - 11/29/02 06:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, this is how I ended up with what I did...I got a Grow kit (bag with injector site/breather patch etc.)
I innoculated with PEF hawaiian spores from syringe, the usual way and followed rest of directions EXACTLY...roughly 4 weeks later the bag became milky "I assumed it was mycelium growing" so I placed the bag on my fridge, to fruit, temperature never fluxed, and with the bag there was no need for humid.
3 more weeks went by and NO SIGNE of a single fruit! I was pissed and assumed what I thought was mycelium, might in fact be cobb web or something similar.
Anyways, I cut open the bag, and low and behold it WAS mycelium, with nice fluffy white patches starting to come through on top, so I sealed the bag back up
and crubled the cake into peices for better colonization, hence the crumbled cake...
After another week, the mycelium was still just growing but not as fast, so I put it into 3 STERILIZED (Isopropyl alcohol / boiled 10 mins to rinse) tupperware containers, wich are wrapped in big towels, to conserve heat, and keep out light...(Cause I cant fruit in them)...The mycelium is still beutiful, and absolutely NO contams,Great white colour, NICE damp "mushroomy earthy" smell, nothing bad...
Just NO FRUIT!
WHAT DO I DO!
It's a simple answer to a maybe not so simple problem.
Sorry for taking up so much space but this is my first grow, and I know no where else to turn.
Thanx everyone.

--------------------

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1096770 - 11/29/02 06:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

why don't you get the tupperware thing with a lid, but not a clear one. put a bit of wet perlite at the bottom, then the crumbled bits, then wet vermiculite on top, and put the lid on. Leave it in the dark for a week, then go back to see if it's ready to come out into the light and have babies..

but what do I know? my casing hasn't even 'worked' yet! I'm just up late and enjoying the conversation.

--------------------
buh

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Re: A TERARIUM THE SIZE OF A SHOE BOX? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1096780 - 11/29/02 06:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, thats was my plan...To put perlite on tha bottom to take care of the humid.
I just wanted to come here and see if there were any other ways to go about it, to "guarentee" fruiting...

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1096794 - 11/29/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

So you took uncolonized substrate out of the bag, hmmm...... if you don't get contaminated, you could fruit it in a terrarium with moist perlite. Why can't you case it? I mean it is already crumbled.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Re: A TERARIUM THE SIZE OF A SHOE BOX? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1096836 - 11/29/02 07:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The substrate was colonized in the bag,I cut it open, cause 6 weeks later, I had no fruits....I took it OUT of the bag, because I wanted to divide it up, instead of risking contam...Believe me, unless cobbwebb grows THICK, my mycelium isn't contamntd...Plus I wanted to try 2 different teks, 1 to case with perlite on bottom with vermiculite on top, OR and 2, to just place crumbled cake, into a terrarium, and mist it...
This is my first time so maybe I should chuk it and start again...Lost cause? Maybe...
I don't think I'll ever be able to make one satin blue...I have no native psilocybe species in my area, just A. Muscaria and Pan. Subb. wich I have never found...

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1096848 - 11/29/02 07:36 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

not a lost cause just yet. Hopefully they won't get contaminated, how much, percentage-wise, would you say is colonized?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

#1096864 - 11/29/02 07:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well, the other day I took out one of the larger pieces of one of the containers,
and disected it...Some sunflower seed even had mycelium INSIDE of it...
I'd say 98% colonized, because I can still make out most of the seeds and grains...
And for the CO2 question, I don't mind fanning every 3 hours if I have to!
I just wanna see a fresh fruit!

--------------------

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

#1096868 - 11/29/02 07:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

P.S. The peice was about HALF a golf ball, and I didn't return it to the container...
I can't believe it hasn't been contaminated, I think Someone in mushroom heaven is looking out for me!

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1096871 - 11/29/02 07:47 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I say wait till it looks 100% colonized and sprinkle moist, sterile verm on it (about 1 inch thick) and incubate it (keep it in the dark, in temps in the mid 80's, with no air exchange). When the verm looks 30-50% colonized, induce pinning (drop temp, expose to light, increase humidity, and fan). Good Luck.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

#1096883 - 11/29/02 07:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'ma do it tonight...Whats the best way to sterilize vermiculite...I've read that it contains no organic matter so nothing can grow on it...

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

#1097514 - 11/30/02 12:19 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I hear the micro wave is good, I only tried it once, and it dried the casing layer out pretty good. About nothing being able to grow on it, well on the one verm casingn attempt that I fucked up, 2 of 3 casings got cobweb.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineGLOCK_357
Bezerker
Loc: hell
    #1097693 - 11/30/02 01:47 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

use microwave for 3min on verm. that will sterilize it. if i were you id look up some info on horse poo tek. for casing since its already crumbled. or take the material and place it in a paper cup put a thin layer of vermiculite on it let it conolize in about 80 deg. F. in an incubator and then rig up a standard terraium with bubbler system and fan the hell out of it after it gets pins.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract