Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
mycobag question
    #1096960 - 11/29/02 10:29 PM (14 years, 10 days ago)

Please excuse me if I sound like a dumbass,I'm totally new to growing 'shrooms and I'm still doing a lot of reading.

I have the Homestead EZ-Gro kit (I ordered it before I found this site and knew any better) with a mycobag with Orissa spores. Since it's been cold lately,the heat is on and it never gets above 70 in my house,so the bag has been colonizing for over a month (I built a little shitty incubator that I kept it in,but I stopped using it because it was too wet).The mycobag is still only about 75% colonized and the mycelium isn't very thick,however, the bottom of the bag IS thick and there are about 20 large pinheads (that I can see). I'm guessing that since I took it out of the incubator,the lower temps caused it to fruit. I don't want all the thick mycelium to turn into pins. What should I do. Go ahead and mix it with the substrate? Let it colonize longer? Will it properly colonize the cow shit before it pins like crazy?

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineNewbie2000
Idiot:www.soby.us

Re: mycobag question [Re: monoamine]
    #1097153 - 11/30/02 12:00 AM (14 years, 10 days ago)

I use the Myco bags myself. Pinning can be caused by either a drop in temp, or exposure to light. Mycelium is very light sensitive. You want to make sure it is in total darkness as it colonizes. ALso, you want the temp to be as close to 85 degrees for maximum colonization. Full colonizatiuon will only take about three weeks, depending on the strain. However, you can initiate pinning once the bag is 90% colonized - it doesn't have to be colonized all the way for you to pin it and get great shrooms. I would case it soon, this might help with the pinning. Hopefully, it will colonize the substrate - (I assume you mean the casing layer) before it begins to fruit like crazy. If you can't stop it, roll with it, and let them fruit. Note your mistakes, and do it better the next time. The first time I tried to grow, I got jack shit. SO if you are getting pins, if worse comes to worse, let em go and enjoy what harvest you get.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation