Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
First Time Straw *Completed* (02/22/03)
    #1094518 - 11/28/02 06:32 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well now that I'm moving along nice and steady in my experimentation. Here we have some straw :smile:

Strain: Ecuador
Substrate: Rye Grain
Spawn: Quarter Bale of Pasturized Wheat Straw
Casing: 50% Peat Moss - 50% Vermiculite - Dash of Hydrated Lime

Background:
Well lets see here.. the rye grain jars were inoculated on 11/14. They were done 45 min simmer 5 min rinse 1 hour 15 minute PC all night to cool and grain to grain transferred in the morning. They were done in a batch of four, but the fourth jar was used to grain to grain transfer some 14 other jars.

The Straw
This is a cardboard box full of straw, less then a quarter of the bale I bought. I had originally planned to spawn that box full of straw but realized that 1. pasteurizing that much straw would take FOREVER and 2. that I didn't have enough colonized rye grain jars.

I used a metal bowl to compact the straw into the pot I was using.

Here is the actual pasteurization. Kept it between 160-175 the entire time, by the time the second pot of straw was done I got it tweaked to know exactly where to put the dial to keep the temperature at exactly 170.

As the pasteurization came to an end I took the oven rack out of the oven and put it over the sink, and then took two bags inside each other strained the straw out by putting the lid on and draining the water with the lid cracked until there was no water coming out of the pot and dumped the straw into the plastic bag seen here and put it on the oven rack to cool/drain.

I repeated the past the entire pasteurization process (compacting, pasteurizing, cooling) once more to get two grocery bags full of pasteurized straw.

Here is what the straw looked like when I opened it after it had cooled/drained for several hours.

Spawning
Here is a picture of the rye grain jars I used to spawn the straw. At the time I thought it might not been enough rye grain to colonize fast enough.

Close-up of one of the rye grain jars, showing the amount of colonization.

And here is what the jars looked like after I shook them up.

I put in about an inch layer of straw then dumped most of one of the jars into the straw, then proceeded to mix it up a bit.

I continued this process two or three times until I got it all up to about this high.

Finaly I put a black plastic bag over the hole lot and after punching a shitload of holes in it for breathing, then I put a weight over top of the plastic bag to weight down the straw compacting it and increasing colonization time hopefully :smile:

Aftermath
And her it is two days later.

Update 11/30
Ack! Lost count of what day of colonization it is... hmm prolly day 4. Anyways heres an updated colonization picture

I'll prolly keep updating as it progresses. I just hope it colonizes fast enough to beat contams :smile:   

12/03 Update:
Hmmm.. the war against contaminations looks bleak, but I still hold that things will go through.. god I hope!

Here we have what I beleived to be a contamed peice of straw.

And here we HOPEFULLY have some pictures of healthly growing mycelium colonizing the straw... once again... I hope to god it is.

12/05 Update:
Faith in the straw grows thinner with every contamination found :frown:

Overall colonization is still continueing but... *sniff* the future looks bleak indeed :frown:

After finding the contam and plucking it the bin was sprayed lightly with a spray bottle filled with h202, and then after that sprayed again lightly with a bottle of water and bleach mixed in the parts of 200:1, but with things going ever so downhill all I can do is pray that this works out.

I think when I finaly get rid of this one, or it stops contaming and fully colonizes.. whichever comes first, I'm going to do afew things different. First thing is I'm going change the temperature of the bin in order to speed up colonization time. Second thing is I'm going to use twice as much spawn, if not more dependong on spawn availability. Also I might do my next experiments with les straw overall, as in like a pie tin full of straw rather than an entire plastic bin, as well as try a chemical sterilization technique. All this will have to wait until the end of the month though because all of my colonizing rye grain jars were lost to contamination, and there won't be enough for this until then.

Update 12/09
Colonization looks to be comming along nice, no visual contams yet and it's smelling pretty like fungus and has lost it's general "straw" smell.

Visual Aids:

12/23 Update:
Okay well since someone mentioned that it had been 12 days since my last update I decided to finaly get some form of an update on here.
Aproximatly half a week ago I decided that the straw was fully colonized as it started to pin, but this was because I had no temperature regulation on it and it was just colonizing at around 70-75f. After I saw these pins I picked every one I saw off, and cased with about an inch and a half of 50% peat moss 50% vermiculite and a couple tablespoons of hydrated lime and then put a heater blanket on top to move the temperature up to 85f. A couple of days later mycelium was starting to break through and it continues to do this. It should be ready to cold shock by x-mas and then I can let the fruiting begin.
Sorry about the lack of pictures but I just never think to take them. I'll try to remember for the next update :smile:

12/30 Update:
Slowly the colonization has been, but I have uncovered the reason for the slow colonization. The temps in the bin have been dipping down late at night to the point at which I cannot controll them, and it would force fruiting cycle. I setup a nice space heater but the room is also used for fruiting so I had to set the space heater to 75 and wrap the bin in a heater blanket for the remainder of the temperature change.
Anyways at this point in time I have decided to force on fruitiing cycle because it has allready started, I just couldn't see it. Here are the pictures to explain my gibberish.

Colonization thus far

The Fuckup

Horrable Horrable thing. I can only say that I simply FORGOT to cover the bottom. I didn't have enough duct tape when I did the sides and the bin was sitting on the floor originaly, but slowly it made it's way up to the shelves and that is where the light exposure underneith the bin took place and started these damn things! Does anyone know what I should do? Dig up the entire thing just to get out those things so they don't start to rot and screw things up? Please let me know what you think :smile:

And finaly...

If you can read the gibberish on that peice of paper, you'll know that I didn't exactly make my goal, my bad.

I just started two new pans of straw and used twice the ammount of spawn in the little pans than I did in this big bin. Also with the space heater in place keeping the room at the right temp, and having an incubation box big enough for the pans this should keep things going good. I've been taking pictures of everything with the pans so maby I'll start another grow log once there is progress :smile:

01/05/03 Update:
Ahhh so an update without pictures isn't really an update... blow me  :tongue:
The camera is on the fritz, aka I loaned it to someone who hasn't returned it yet, and there will be no pictorial in yet another update.
Okay so on with the update. A so in the last update I decided to initiate fruiting cycle. The reason I did this is because I'd like to get some sort of a flush before the fruits that grew "invitro" on the bottom of the bin decide to rot and kill the entire thing, another reason is because I thought that the casing would continue to get colonized for a couple of extra days, alas it did not and I ended up with a far from nominal pinset. Afew days after I initiated primordial growth,  I started to notice some pins. Good I thought, all is not lost  :smile:
Today is aprox. 3 days later and the pin count is floating at around 100 that will for sure grow larger. This unfortunatly is not that good enough, because there are big areas that did not fully colonize that have no pins, a quarter of the bins entire surface is like that. I don't really mind though, it's looking like a higher yeild that I anticipated anyways  :cool:

01/08/03 Update:
FRICKEN GOD DAMNED CAMERA#$%#$#$
Okay well this log started out bright and full of picutres but the camera is slowwwwly dying. I sent it "in for repairs" so maby if my buddy can fix it I can get to the more pictographifal stuff... but errm now for the update.
Pinset on the casing was okay, far from optimal. I'd say 25% of the casing did not colonize enough which reduced pinning. When I counted the pins afew days ago there were aprox. 100 pins on the entire casing surface. Today I picked what I have guestimated to be 2oz dry, I guess I'll know once it's done drying, and there are still quite afew mushrooms left in the terrarium for pickin in a couple of days, at which time I will strip the surface sprinkle some casing and start re-hydrating cycle.
Hopefully updates with pics comming in the near future :smile:

01/08/03 Update:
Second flush has come and gone, and I managed to find time to grab some pictures of it for you. Submited for your aproval: Pictures at last.

Ahh the bounty all choped up and ready for the drying chamber :smile:

This is the ambient northern humidity in the house.

This is the drying chamber, thats a huge fan on the layer above.

Some stuff thats been under the fan for a day. Cracker Dry.

No need for this in the winter :laugh:

Thats all for now folks! Hopefully a third flush will be granted by the gods. Oh and for those of you wondering what the mush underneith the bin looks like.. well it looks exactly like it did last time I talked about it. No growth, and no substantial rotting. Maby a third flush is pausable :smile:

02/22/03
Welp since I've tossed the bin away a few weeks ago I may as well bring an end to it. The stuff that grew on the bottom seemed to be taking away from what grew on the top and the third flush was nothing but 4 pins that all grew to about 10" in size.

Edited by NixxoN (02/22/03 09:47 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefungor
Old fart
Male
Loc: Norway
Re: First Time Straw [Re: NixxoN]
    #1095511 - 11/29/02 04:17 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Great log thus far, I love the detail and pictures. Good luck!

OfflineJackal
Well Versed In Etiquette
 User Gallery

#1095516 - 11/29/02 04:38 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Excellent start, 5 shrooms for you :wink:

--------------------

OfflinestonErollEr1
The Psilocybinsolution
Re: First Time Straw [Re: Jackal]
    #1095760 - 11/29/02 10:24 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Great log so far...nice pict and great details..
Just a thougt...I allways soak my straw overnight to hatch endospores..then pasturize.
But this will probably work great..Looking forward to see the results.

peace...

OfflineNugDumper
Member of theThird Eye Club

Re: First Time Straw [Re: stonErollEr1]
    #1097179 - 11/29/02 10:07 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

How did your straw drain when it was sitting in those plastic bags after pasteurization?

Also, it doesn't look like you have the black plastic bag under the straw before you started spawning it.... did you scoop up the contents and put them in the bag or what? Also, what did you use over the top of the clear container?

--------------------
All that I need is the air that I breathe... and all that I need are things I don't need... and all that really matters is what matters to me me me... -Shannon Hoon

Racism is schism on a serious tip! -Bradley Nowell

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw [Re: NugDumper]
    #1098142 - 11/30/02 10:16 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

stonErollEr1 Said ... I allways soak my straw overnight to hatch endospores..then pasteurize?

I will try pre-soaking on the next bin I do, see how much of a difference it makes, but that won't be till I find out if this one will fully colonize in the 15 maximum days I have allotted for it, if not I know to use more rye grain.

In reply to:

NugDumper Said How did your straw drain when it was sitting in those plastic bags after pasteurization?

I forgot to add this I guess but right after loading the pasteurized straw into the bags I took a sterile nail, larger in size, and punctured the bottom of the plastic bags some 20+ times before I put it on the oven rack.

In reply to:

NugDumper Said Also, it doesn't look like you have the black plastic bag under the straw before you started spawning it.... did you scoop up the contents and put them in the bag or what?

Perhaps you misunderstood the purpose of the black plastic bag. I used it so that I could put something heavy overtop of the straw to compact it down to speed up colonization time without touching the straw directly. So all I did was tuck it in between the sides of the bin and the straw, although after day2 I pretty much said ?screw it? to that and took it off for favor of more fresh air to help ward off contaminations.

In reply to:

NugDumper Said Also, what did you use over the top of the clear container?

I simply put the lid of the bin overtop of the clear container without latching it down completely, as this box is sitting on the floor of a ?not 100% sterile? room I thought it appropriate, it?s not doing too bad so I?ll probably continue with this. Oh and I fan 3 times a day, no care is taken to maintain any sort of temperature or humidity at this point, going neglect style. May start once 100% colonization is reached.

OfflineDrink_Punk_Soda
Now with ExtraVaganza!?

Loc: Nowhere fast
    #1102074 - 12/01/02 09:32 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Nix,

Looks great so far, much kudos dude.

Had another quick question about the spawn jars- did you use any kind of filter, or just the polyfill in the lid?  And also, did you PC the jars or boil them?

Thanks for the info, hope all goes well.  I'll be watching!  :shocked:  :grin: :grin:  :wink: 

--------------------

Kumbayah my lord, Kumbayah...

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw [Re: Drink_Punk_Soda]
    #1102081 - 12/01/02 09:36 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Spawn jars had a polyfil lid and were PCed for an hour and fifteen minutes the night before innoculating them.
I'd like to be as optimistic about my straw as you are, but I just found out that everything on my grow room is contaminating, and I'm not holding out that this will last much longer, I pray to god though. Going through extensive sterilisation methods as I type this. back to work now.

Edited by NixxoN (12/01/02 11:19 PM)

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw (Updated 11/30) [Re: NixxoN]
    #1102455 - 12/01/02 11:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Update on the war on contaminations:

Well one of the contaminations has been pegged down to neurospora, evil little brute contamed all of my colonizing rye grain jars pushing back my ability to start more straw bins. It had started on a cake I was expeimenting with the elemination of contamination in what was supposed to be my "clean room" (bad move I shoulda known better). Now as I've read this is a particular nasty bastard to get rid of, air born, infects anything to do with grain, and worst of all goes through polyfil filters!!
So first thing first I removed ANYTHING with infection, which was all of my rye grain jars and one casing which is infected with a green/blue mold. Entire room soaked in lysol, and in afew minutes everything in the room is going to be washed in bleach. When I first came into the room to see this disaster a scene popped into my head.
Russians have attacked the U.S. creating widespread devistation and turned the entire country into a wasteland and a lowly sargent is asking this major "how could we let this happen major?" as he looks at his destroyed country and downed comrads the major says to him "We weren't ready for it tom. We didn't prepare" he then lowers his head and repeats "We just weren't ready for it."

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
    #1108278 - 12/03/02 09:12 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hay or straw? Which one is it?

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw (Updated 11/30) [Re: pleezr]
    #1108357 - 12/03/02 09:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Thats a good question, the place I bought it from called it hay, but from my understanding of it it is straw... who knows? All I know is that it's colonizing :smile:

OfflineDickie
girl power
    #1108365 - 12/03/02 09:35 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Nice log NixxoN!
Any updates?

--------------------
Toodles,
Dickie

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw (Updated 11/30) [Re: Dickie]
    #1108469 - 12/03/02 10:16 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Yah, there they are :frown: 

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #1108944 - 12/04/02 01:11 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Why don't you fill up a spray bottle with 10 parts water, 1 part hydrogen peroxide and mist it? it worked on my casing and my cake, didn't see any contams whatsoever.

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw (Updated 11/30) [Re: daussaulit]
    #1110924 - 12/04/02 06:08 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Actually I sprayed it with a bottle of pure h202, doesn't seem to have stalled mycelium growth too much, and hopefully it's killin them contams. I'm also thinking of doing a 200:1 water:bleach bottle and spraying it with that if it continues to fall.

Offlineinsanelane
When I touch mypeepee it getsbig
    #1111593 - 12/04/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Am I dumb or did you put in the cakes before they finished colonizing?  I dunno, I'm kinda stoned right now, I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.  :grin:

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw (Updated 11/30) [Re: insanelane]
    #1111595 - 12/04/02 08:57 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

yah uhhhm.. your stoned. First thing is those arn't cakes, thats a jar of colonized rye grain, and IMO they were had enough colonization to spawn the straw, and since no one else who is sober has said anything I tend to think I'm right :smile:

InvisibleShaw

#1111912 - 12/04/02 10:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've never grown eq, and that guy is definatly retarded, but I would say that your grain dosn't look as thickly colonised as it usually is for me. Are you sure none of it got contaminated during the transfers?

--------------------

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
Re: First Time Straw (Updated 11/30) [Re: Shaw]
    #1111916 - 12/04/02 10:39 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Which transfer are you refering to? The one to innoculate the jars? I don't think they would have gotten that far along if they were contaminated, also they showed no signs of contamination. Also I don't think they would continue to colonize the straw to this day if it was contaminated.

InvisibleNixxoN
Friend
    #1126438 - 12/09/02 08:06 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

*updated shiznit*

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags