Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
How much can you hurt mycelium?
    #1093622 - 11/28/02 11:49 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

So I have some pint jars that haven't gone very far past being white splotches under the innoculation points. I'm considering putting the jars in a plastic bag with a spoon, and scraping the innards out of 2 pints and into the bag (under alot of lysol). Anyone ever done this before? Will it thrash the mycellium too badly? Will it even help?

Edited by HarveyWalbanger (11/28/02 12:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: How much can you hurt mycelium? [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #1093879 - 11/28/02 01:03 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Never tried it cause if jars aren't colonizing then you have bigger problems than will it work to scoop them out into plastics sacks and mangle them...

It would seem that the first matter of recourse would be to figure out wtf is wrong with your scene that makes it so your jars aren't colonizing.

BUT if you are in a big hurry to get this thing off the ground and get some shrooms going then you should just quit now because that isn't how it works.

Figure out what's wrong, why they stalled, it's hard to give you good tips if you don't me more specific as to what kind of parameters you are subjecting your myc to....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #1094006 - 11/28/02 01:35 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineC1LooT
Stranger

Loc: under a rock
Re: How much can you hurt mycelium? [Re: ]
    #1094139 - 11/28/02 02:35 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

on the PF tek guide on erowid, it says to be careful while handling colonized cakes because the areas you contact will bruise and, as a result, not be able to fruit.......................if the mycelium gets damaged by this, it seems like shredding, cutting. grating, etc. would have the same effect, but it obviosuly doesn't. Could somebody explain this for me? thanks

--------------------
drugs are bad

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Re: How much can you hurt mycelium? [Re: upupup]
    #1094297 - 11/28/02 03:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I believe the main problem was not enough spores. 4cc a pint of brf is wishful thinking. I keep a heating pad under it at night (I have enough padding inbetween the jars and the pad that I'm confident they aren't getting fried). 2 off the jars have almost no growth at all after 4 weeks. 1 of them has growth almost the whole way down the jar under the innoculation points (which was the oone I planned to break open in the bag.)

Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
    #1094338 - 11/28/02 04:26 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

4cc is more than enough. I use half that for pint jars with colonization taking on average 30-45 days. If you don't have a thermometer, you might be cooking those jars. A heating pad has a tendency to dry things out as well. If you only have it on half of the time, and they are sitting at a fairly cold temp the rest of the day, your growth time will take significantly longer. I wouldn't rely on (even educated) guesswork. Get them to an optimal temperature (~85F preferably from a moist heat source...(you could use the heating pad underneath a container with some water in the bottom, with the jars sitting above the water)), and sustain that temperature 24/7.

Exposing the contents to contamination is not a good idea, and should be a last resort. Also, if there are already contaminants (e.g. invisible bacterial) in your jars halting growth, you will pass these contaminants on to any substrate you inoculate with mycelium from those jars.

Be patient. If you still don't see any growth at optimal temps in another 4 weeks, then its time to crack open the jars...maybe transferring them to an outdoor patch (if weather permits).

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Re: How much can you hurt mycelium? [Re: bowling-name]
    #1094530 - 11/28/02 06:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have possibly an even stupider question now.

Then could I do the opposite, and take all the little splotches of mycelium out of my 4 jars and make one jar with just a tiny bit of un colonized substrate? Supposing the jars are contaminated this seems like it .might. work

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1094537 - 11/28/02 06:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

and take all the little splotches of mycelium out of my 4 jars and make one jar with just a tiny bit of un colonized substrate?

Why not just start over? I mean it may work, but not likely. Just chalk this one up as a fuck up, and start anew.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
Re: How much can you hurt mycelium? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1094916 - 11/28/02 10:49 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Betcha cooked em...

Go for the incubater.....it's cake....

Cooler, $10 fish tank heater, thermometer...waddya want?????

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
    #1094951 - 11/28/02 11:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Get the jars off the heating pad and be patient, I suggest you do not do as you said because you need to find out why the jars are so slow. 4 cc's is more than enough if the syringe was made properly. I have used 1 cc per 1/2 pint jar with no problem. I have also seen certain strains take very long such as cambos. Leave them alone and find out why the growth is so slow. This way you dont make the same mistake twice. It could be many things causing the slow growth such as hydration, too much heat, old spores, bad BRF/Verm mixture, Bact Contams, jars packed too tight, just to name a few. So wait it out and see.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Re: How much can you hurt mycelium? [Re: Ripple]
    #1094967 - 11/28/02 11:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

what works better for me is I put the heating pad(s) above the jars, I am using quart jars though. I set the pad on low and put it on top of the jars. The lids get to about 100 degrees but where the mycellium starts it is a comfortable 80. I dont know about dong this with 1/2 pints. Mabey if your seperate the jars and the pad by about 2 inches it will work

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale