Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSkiTTLeBrOW
Some Guy

Loc: Ontario Canada
Saddam used chem warfare on his own people?
    #1094197 - 11/28/02 05:06 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i want to find info on this, i have looked but it seems to be bullshit. where can i find out what really happened?

--------------------
"Well if it isnt my friend Mr.McCraig, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Saddam used chem warfare on his own people? [Re: SkiTTLeBrOW]
    #1094262 - 11/28/02 05:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It was 1988 in Halabja. At the time George Bush insisted the evidence had been faked and that it was probably Iran.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineBuzzDoctor
Runs withscissors
Male

Loc: Atlantis
Re: Saddam used chem warfare on his own people? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1094328 - 11/28/02 06:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

He insisited that it was fake cuz we are the ones that he got the chemicals from in the first place.

--------------------
Is the glass half-full or half-empty? I say it is both.

Invisiblemr crisper

Re: Saddam used chem warfare on his own people? [Re: SkiTTLeBrOW]
    #1094503 - 11/28/02 08:13 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

its true, tho saddam gassed the kurds, an ethnic group that wishes to form it own nation.
i typed 'kurds' and 'chemical' on msn search and got 27400 results. mostly respected news organisations. it is very well documented. so i aint gonna post links just use a search engine.
when the un committee on human rights met to do something about it, the vote was 11 to 8, let's do nothing, cos this was pre gulf war and saddam was the west's buddy (where do you think he got all is planes, missiles and nasty chemicals from?).
the only countries that protested were the scandinavian ones, canada and australia, ineffectually of course but at least they could all feel morally smug.

also, in the 1920's, n.iraq and the kurds were subjected to constant attacks by the british airforce. the brits used the relatively defenceless kurds as subjects for testing a variety of new weapons that eventually developed into such joyous things as napalm and phoporous bombs (used to create the dresden firestorm in ww2 - more than double the death toll of hiroshima's and nagasaki's atomic attacks put together was reached in one night.).
"On 19 February, 1920, before the start of the Arab uprising, Churchill (then Secretary for War and Air) wrote to Sir Hugh Trenchard, the pioneer of air warfare. Would it be possible for Trenchard to take control of Iraq? This would entail *the provision of some kind of asphyxiating bombs calculated to cause disablement of some kind but not death...for use in preliminary operations against turbulent tribes.*

Churchill was in no doubt that gas could be profitably employed against the Kurds and Iraqis (as well as against other peoples in the Empire): *I do not understand this sqeamishness about the use of gas. I am strongly in favour of using poison gas against uncivilised tribes.* Henry Wilson shared Churchills enthusiasm for gas as an instrument of colonial control but the British cabinet was reluctant to sanction the use of a weapon that had caused such misery and revulsion in the First World War. Churchill himself was keen to argue that gas, fired from ground-based guns or dropped from aircraft, would cause *only discomfort or illness, but not death* to dissident tribespeople; but his optimistic view of the effects of gas were mistaken. It was likely that the suggested gas would permanently damage eyesight and *kill children and sickly persons, more especially as the people against whom we intend to use it have no medical knowledge with which to supply antidotes.*

Churchill remained unimpressed by such considerations, arguing that the use of gas, a *scientific expedient,* should not be prevented *by the prejudices of those who do not think clearly*. In the event, gas was used against the Iraqi rebels with excellent moral effect* though gas shells were not dropped from aircraft because of practical difficulties"

'excellent moral effect' - beautiful

Offlinepsilocybinist
Re: Saddam used chem warfare on his own people? [Re: mr crisper]
    #1100027 - 12/01/02 03:15 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe saddam did gas his own people but if you look at America we imprison Hundreds of thousands of people for non-violent drug offenses.I don't know about most people but I would rather be gassed than locked up in a cage like an animal. I forget who said it but " Give me liberty or give me death"

InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: Saddam used chem warfare on his own people? [Re: psilocybinist]
    #1100868 - 12/01/02 01:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I think it's better to be the lowest dog and alive than dead. That's just me though.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion