Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeuclidean
Even Stranger
 User Gallery

PMP clarification required (possible update to the Mushroom info?)
    #10155789 - 04/13/09 01:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hello,

I have noticed a difference between the advice given in one of the fruiting chamber guides (Magash's PMP - http://www.shroomery.org/9047/Poor-Mans-Pod ) and information that has been coming through the shroomery since its creation.

There appears to be a recurring problem for those following the PMP guide to the letter - namely in whether or not the cakes should sit directly on the LECA (geolite/hydroton/whatever) or whether they should be separated from it.

The original guide states that the cakes can be placed onto the LECA, where it:

Quote:

... works like putting the cake in a lid of moist verm in that the cake can wick moisture from the geolite.

(quote taken from the PMP guide).

What appears to be happening in a number of cases is that doing this often results in the mycelium attempting to colonise the geolite, and thus stalling the fruiting. There are a number of solutions that have been proposed to this, but they seem incorrect like, cold shocking cubes or reducing the humidity... usual nonsense. Another popular one is to place it on foil, which appears to make more sense - lots of people have stated it, but I chose a trusted cultivator's response as the basis for this comparison (happens to be RR's):

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8891058#8891058

... whose solution essentially boils down to cutting the geolite away from the cakes, placing the cakes on foil/separator - and then replacing the geolite with perlite at the next available opportunity.

Can we conclude from this that the geolite included in the PMP design is unnecessary or out of date? The main reason I can see for the geolite specification in the PMP design, is this process of wicking moisture from the geolite...
...by placing it on the geolite. This clearly contradicts later information. If foil should be used to separate the cakes from the geolite - what's the point in using geolite at all? Should there be an update to the PMP guide accordingly?

(On a side-note, I'd like to know why the mycelium tries to colonise the LECA. I've wondered about it, but I'd like a definitive scientific answer (no speculators please). I'm thinking about it colonising the geolite, but not foil. Is it because of the shape of the rocks? Maybe because it's organic? This is a side-note though - main concern is updates).

Regards,
E.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: PMP clarification required (possible update to the Mushroom info?) [Re: euclidean]
    #10155835 - 04/13/09 01:25 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Evaporation of moisture from any substrate is the number 1 pinning trigger. Sometimes we say the same thing by phrasing it as 'fresh air exchange is the number 1 pinning trigger' because a constant supply of fresh air causes drying of the substrate.  This loss of moisture from the substrate must be replaced by misting, dunking, or some other method.

If you put a substrate where it can wick a constant supply of water from geolite, perlite, or water, etc., pinning performance will be poor because the substrate will saturate or waterlog.  You want your substrate to begin to dry out. . .and then replace that water, before allowing it to dry out again.  That's the way to best performance.  Use foil, jar lids, etc., to separate the cakes from the geolite or perlite.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinethirdcoast
Stranger

Re: PMP clarification required (possible update to the Mushroom info?) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10928764 - 08/24/09 06:44 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

With a PMP these days with a great pump and a casing container that takes up the majority of the bottom of a rubbermaid would misting ever be necessary except after first putting it in and after a flush and recase? Can usually control the RH  have two 3" dia holes in the top clear lid that can be wide open or adjusted but my question is after reading this:

Evaporation of moisture from any substrate is the number 1 pinning trigger. Sometimes we say the same thing by phrasing it as 'fresh air exchange is the number 1 pinning trigger' because a constant supply of fresh air causes drying of the substrate.  This loss of moisture from the substrate must be replaced by misting, dunking, or some other method.

If you put a substrate where it can wick a constant supply of water from geolite, perlite, or water, etc., pinning performance will be poor because the substrate will saturate or waterlog.  You want your substrate to begin to dry out. . .and then replace that water, before allowing it to dry out again.  That's the way to best performance.  Use foil, jar lids, etc., to separate the cakes from the geolite or perlite.
RR

Should I just seal the holes ditch the pump and fan lol?  After this will be switching to spawning bulk and converting tubs to mono(ya i know cheapskate) but was just curious on opinions.  Magash's tek is what i used but changed the casing.  I agree that the tek should be revised or notes added if the information is outdated or not as efficient.  I've had good success with it though.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract