Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic
    #10914113 - 08/22/09 05:59 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

So contams love still air. It helps them settle down for a nice place to breed. Most Mushrooms love air exchange or at least it guides them in the pinning stage (and growth for that matter)
When a container of substrate is colonizing it should have gas exchange holes but no moving air around it (for ideal set-up) So what the grower can do is put tyvek, polyfil, micropore tape or any filtration device that blocks air flow but allows GE.
Contams love this set-up, but the mushroom mycelium is hopefully going to beat them to colonization and fight them off. (in the process it might have to use metabolites)

During fruiting the grower puts a fan or cool mist or some sort of air current creating device that brings about FAE.
Some growers leave the tubs the way they are with the polyfil or whatever in the holes. To keep up humidity.
Some trusted cultivators advise (depending on the species) to take out anything blocking the holes so FAE can happen, however the humidity is going to drop inside the tub.
Would it then be recommended to keep the whole environment very humid?

So...much practice comes from finding ways to keep the humidity high but with an air current?

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 
...I DO advocate learning about
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: RonPaulVerm]
    #10914220 - 08/22/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Your logic sounds about right.

During spawning, we are using a LOT of mycelium. In the time it would take spores of a competing organism to germinate, our mycelium is already taking a strong foothold on the substrate. We do not want fresh air exchange at this point, because we want to make sure the whole substrate gets colonized. Otherwise it could pin early and we would get meager flushes with higher contamination possibility.

If you keep the entire room humid and promote FAE with unblocked holes, it would work better, but this is pretty hard to do, considering moist walls/carpets/ceilings will grow mold. The trick to that is a mini greenhouse.

We want high humidity (100%) to drop (85%) and then come back up by misting. This proves to be the ideal condition for fruiting. (As well as light being present)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10914246 - 08/22/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RonPaulVerm said:
finding ways to keep the humidity high but with an air current?

That.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: Doc_T]
    #10914282 - 08/22/09 06:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

is the key...:whoo:
and the puzzle... :strokebeard2:

--------------------
Spawn I Have: Blewitt, Reishi, Maitake, Chicken of the Woods, Parasol, Shaggy Mane, King, Blue and Gold Oyster, Shiitake, King Stropharia, Lions Mane, Almond Portabello, Elm Oyster, Phoenix Oyster, Nameko, Enoki, White Beech,

Spawn I Want: Corcyceps Sp., Cauliflower Mushrooms, Agaricus species (Portobello), Pink Oyster, Piopinno, ...anything else you might have

Primitive Skills                                     

Any information I've posted is only related to fictional purposes. I do not advocate growing any illegal mushrooms 

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10914984 - 08/22/09 07:53 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

This is the same problem as with most indoor growing setups. You need to compromise between air exchange and humidity/temp.

The same happens with indoor plant growing.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinefirstofnone
Stranger

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: Nibin]
    #10915040 - 08/22/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

This is why I want to do an outdoor grow... Just having a hard time finding a good spot. lol

Offlineoobajoob
blunt rolling master
Male User Gallery

Loc: florida panhandle
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: firstofnone]
    #10915379 - 08/22/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

how about your front or back yard?

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: Nibin]
    #10915468 - 08/22/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well the cool mist seems like a god send in that retrospect but for some reason I don't hear of it used that often. I guess it might take the fun out of it too

RR suggested to me that when growing copeelandias that the grower not have polyfil in the tub because it loves FAE. So it would seem like that tub should be in a FC for humidity's purposes.

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10915508 - 08/22/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I use dubtubs and mini monos inside a greenhouse, it's the only way I can manage the humidity in this desert.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: Doc_T]
    #10915531 - 08/22/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You could use a greenhouse with a cool mist on a timer, that's about as useful as I could make one. :shrug:

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: Shroominit]
    #10917261 - 08/23/09 01:17 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think we are missing the point here.  The point being that during the "colonization phase" the idea of "Still air" is not so much about the contamination aspect as it is that mycelium responds to the "high levels" of CO2.  Gas exchange keeps the CO2 levels at the "appropriate" levels, (not too high, not too low).  Also, Higher CO2 level usually mean higher temperatures, (Not so good).  When FULL COLONIZATION has been achieved, you introduce FEA, (Lowered CO2 levels) to "Trigger" fruiting phase.  The "lowering" of CO2 is what triggers the mycelium into the Fruiting phase.  It just so happens that the way we lower CO2 is by introducing Fresh Air.  The  whole problem with "balancing" High humidity with proper FEA has been the "Art" of this hobby.  Thus comes the idea of "Casing Layers".  IN MY OPINION, The casing layer is the "Safety net" in all of this.  It keeps the proper humidity at the surface area where it's needed while still allowing the cultivator to provide all the FEA needed without drying out the project.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #10917297 - 08/23/09 01:24 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Since we have a wide range of temps cubes will grow at; would a coolmist pumping fresh air into the top of a monotub on a timer, while pushing air out holes in the tub just above the substrate surface be ideal then?

since coolmists are more for FAE, and ultrasonics are more for humidity.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

Edited by cyb3rtr0n (08/23/09 01:25 AM)

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: cyb3rtr0n]
    #10917314 - 08/23/09 01:28 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It works. Outdoors in Peru is ideal. :thumbup:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #10917466 - 08/23/09 01:52 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

cyb3rtr0n said:
Since we have a wide range of temps cubes will grow at; would a coolmist pumping fresh air into the top of a monotub on a timer, while pushing air out holes in the tub just above the substrate surface be ideal then?

since coolmists are more for FAE, and ultrasonics are more for humidity.

That all depends on what type of Fruiting Chamber you have.  A monotub doesn't need a coolmist.  A "Martha set up" does.  FAE is needed to "Induce Pinning"  Once Pinning has been induced, the only thing to worry about is humidity and gas exchange to keep the CO2 levels at appropriate levels.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Invisiblecyb3rtr0n
searching for truth
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #10917561 - 08/23/09 02:13 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

nevermind me....

for some reason I started reading this thread midway, and thought you were responding to this

Quote:

RonPaulVerm said:
Well the cool mist seems like a god send in that retrospect but for some reason I don't hear of it used that often. I guess it might take the fun out of it too

RR suggested to me that when growing copeelandias that the grower not have polyfil in the tub because it loves FAE. So it would seem like that tub should be in a FC for humidity's purposes.

--------------------
LAGM v.2.024 Grow log

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #10917634 - 08/23/09 02:30 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

A lot of growers used to think that poly-fil helps keep out contaminates. We now know that 100% colonization makes the mycelium pretty strong. At least enough that using poly-fil for a contaminate barrier is now known to be unnecessary. As RR points out, Poly-fill does restrict FAE. However, some successful growers still use Poly-fil in their holes to help retain humidity. I will not take the liberty of listing them, but notice their mono tub pictures, you can see that they have tweaked their system until it works for them, with poly-fil. Guess what? Roll up your shirtsleeves, you have to do the same. Just following EXACTLY what someone else does is not at all guaranteed to work. What works for a grower in Florida, may not work for someone in Oregon, or Idaho. Two different climes. Two different people. The list goes on.

Most of what you read here will help with your grow. But I've seen some experienced growers say that doing it one way does not work, while at the same time, another successful grower insists that THAT is the BEST way to do it.

Truth is, you have to putter! :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleRonPaulVerm
Piss Christ
Male

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong. FAE logic [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #10918610 - 08/23/09 09:18 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
But I've seen some experienced growers say that doing it one way does not work, while at the same time, another successful grower insists that THAT is the BEST way to do it.

Isn't that everything in life...

--------------------

Primitive Skills                                     

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder