Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineavgstnr
Smurph
Male

Strain Specific Thread Topics
    #10898374 - 08/20/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

This question may be for the mods, but here goes.

I was just curious.  Would it be a big hassle to create sub categories under the cultivation threads that are strain specific?  Like threads specifically for each strain of Cubes, Wood Lovers, Sclerotia Producers, Edibles, Medicinals, etc.

I know that some strains share common cultivation methods, however, I'm interested in seeing teks, insights, pics, etc. on EACH particular strain of mushrooms.

For example, I wish I could click on a thread that would show me any posts specific to P. Mexicana B-strain (not A-strain or Jalisco,etc.)

It could include any info from experiences to cultivation to contams or just plain pics, but all listed under a specific strain.

Is it possible?  Does anyone think it's unnecessary?  I personally think it would help, more than the search bar.  Just a thought.

--------------------
"Think for yourself... question authority" - T. Leary

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProject
Ride the Spiral

Re: Strain Specific Thread Topics [Re: avgstnr]
    #10898386 - 08/20/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, that's not gonna happen.  This forum is well organized as it is.  No need for what you're talking about.

:super:

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10898478 - 08/20/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Members of a same species share growth parameters and techniques independently of "strain" so stran specific sections are useless.

A species specific subforums already exist.

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlineavgstnr
Smurph
Male

Re: Strain Specific Thread Topics [Re: Nibin]
    #10898553 - 08/20/09 03:47 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, I just figured it would be cool to click on a topic about a particular sub-species and read about other people's experiments with its cultivation.

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10898601 - 08/20/09 03:53 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Again I repeat, what works with one works with the other. There is absolutely no difference in cultivating them.

This is like going into a car forum and asking for a specific section for red priuses because you want to see how they compare to the other colours. They all are priuses and drive the same, no matter what colour they are.

--------------------

Offlineavgstnr
Smurph
Male

#10898648 - 08/20/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

for me, it's more like going into a car forum and asking people for specific testimonials about their red prius

--------------------

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #10898662 - 08/20/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah but testimonials of the red prius as opposed to the blue.

There really is no difference.

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#10898665 - 08/20/09 04:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

this isnt erowid.
it might be hard for you to find the information you want if you are not accustomed to message boards...but the shroomery has all the information you want and more. you just need to learn how to use the website correctly.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlineavgstnr
Smurph
Male

Re: Strain Specific Thread Topics [Re: prismism]
    #10898681 - 08/20/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

noted

--------------------

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10898697 - 08/20/09 04:07 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

avgstnr said:
for me, it's more like going into a car forum and asking people for specific testimonials about their red prius

But you would dismiss testimonials from people with blue ones or green ones? If someone with a green prius told you that the car tends to drift of slightly damp roads would you ignore his advice?

I can't stress enough how there is no difference. This is not like weed where different strains perform differently, have different highs etc.

--------------------

Offlineavgstnr
Smurph
Male

#10898776 - 08/20/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, i get your point.  all sub-species within their species grow the same.  but there are some varieties that i never see others post about. 

maybe, i misworded the purpose of hypothetically categorizing the cultivation of specific strains.  it was solely based on discovering miscellaneous reports of other growers' "personal" experiments....  so that one could compare notes and observations (or lack thereof) of each particular sub-species.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10898840 - 08/20/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

avgstnr said:
yeah, i get your point.  all sub-species within their species grow the same.  but there are some varieties that i never see others post about. 

maybe, i misworded the purpose of hypothetically categorizing the cultivation of specific strains.  it was solely based on discovering miscellaneous reports of other growers' "personal" experiments....  so that one could compare notes and observations (or lack thereof) of each particular sub-species.

What's a 'subspecies'?

As already said, the so-called 'strain' name on the print or syringe is related to marketing, not growing.  A strain is a pairing of compatible hyphae, just like a child is a pairing of an egg and sperm.  Would you raise a boy named bill different than a boy named john? Of course not.

When you hear noobs saying such things as 'this or that' strain colonizes faster, is contamination resistant, more rhyzomorphic, etc., take it to mean they don't have a clue and are on their first or second grow.  Since every grow is different, new growers think the differences are in the name somebody wrote on the syringe, which is incorrect.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineavgstnr
Smurph
Male

Re: Strain Specific Thread Topics [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10898891 - 08/20/09 04:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

forgive me if subspecies is the wrong term. but i'm talking about those marketing names you just mentioned.... the particular "race" within a species.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder