Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineechoes_
Stranger

Does Accutane increase the chances of adverse effects from psychedelic use?
    #10897714 - 08/20/09 01:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Regardless of the endless debates as to whether or not psychedelic tryptamines are bad for you (just because there's no physical or tangible proof of deterioration doesn't mean it doesn't exist), I was wondering if I was more susceptible to any form of HPPD or adverse effects to tripping? But first, a backstory...

At the beginning of last fall I was in love with the most amazing girl. She killed it at the piano and could draw the most surreal crazy shit, and she was smoking hot. I've had problems with severe nodular acne for a few years prior to that, and by that time my back and chest was covered in swelling, purple and red boils the size of quarters. As a last resort, my parents decided to put me on Accutane (isotretinoin). A few weeks into the program, I started feeling depressed for no reason, to the point where my girlfriend dumped me. She did that thing that most stupid high school girls do an played games with my head afterwards, which I was foolish enough to buy into since this was my first relationship. It seemed everything that could've gone wrong went wrong, and I was sent into a psychotic downward spiral.

I would go without sleep for weeks on end, I wouldn't eat, I would hear random voices in my head screaming my name at night (which made it all the more difficult to fall asleep). In the middle of class I would have hallucinations, sometimes I would black out randomly and not have any memory of the past few hours of my life. It seemed I was losing touch with reality, and I must say, it was the most horrible experience of my life. My passions in life no longer made me happy. I wanted to die.

So in November, I decided to start trying psychedelics because my buddy told me that many people use them for introspective/therapeutic purposes. I had only done mushrooms once before, (when I was 15, on accident, took roughly 6.5g) but I was desperate. Fast forward to May. I had been shrooming damn near once every weekend since the beginning of November, all good trips, but suddenly I had my first bad trip, which really shook me up. I ate 3.5gs of these REALLY strong shrooms that make me trip harder off 2g than I have from 5g of most shrooms. And ever since the bad trip, I've found that it takes much more work to have a good trip from shrooms, because I always go back to that place in my head. I can say now, though, that the shrooms did wonders for my psyche, and I am in a good place. They helped me love life, and embrace all it has to offer. They helped me tear down the foundation of everything I thought I knew about myself, and rebuild from scratch. Ego death is truly a blessing.

I don't have a problem with bad trips anymore, but now life itself seems more pschedelic to me. I've only shroomed a few times since that trip, and did 1 hit of acid once. Now, I'm noticing neon accents in the corner of my peripheral vision, or I'll think I see something moving in the corner of my eye, only to look directly at it and realize I was just imagining things.

So my question is: Do I have a higher chance of adverse effects from psychedelic use if my mind has gone through a psychotic episode before? I mean, which doors get opened and where I end up psychologically all depends on how my mentality copes with these experiences, correct?

Sorry if that was long.

Sparknotes:
Took accutane, got dumped, was depressed, had a psychotic meltdown, started doing psychedelics to cure it, it worked, now I wonder if the psychotic meltdown increases the chances of another one due to psychedelic use.

Edited by echoes_ (08/20/09 01:43 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: Does Accutane increase the chances of adverse effects from psychedelic use? [Re: echoes_]
    #10897879 - 08/20/09 02:08 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Accutane has been tied with increased suicide risk, so whatever means of causing that risk in sober people is most likely amplified.

--------------------
Stealth Lighting 
Cubensis benefits beyond cluster headaches
Mush Extract! (You can even use Vinegar!)
Flame your needle in style with a sexy mini butane torch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What happens in the Romper Room, stays in the Romper Room.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts are written by the sex deprived helper monkey Curious George.

Offlineechoes_
Stranger

Re: Does Accutane increase the chances of adverse effects from psychedelic use? [Re: Lennyk]
    #10898314 - 08/20/09 03:11 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

So are you implying that even though mushrooms helped me realize that life is worth living and loving, there is a higher chance of it all blowing up in my face?

OfflineLennyk
D-O-L-E Dole
Male

Loc: Near the Ground
Re: Does Accutane increase the chances of adverse effects from psychedelic use? [Re: echoes_]
    #10898556 - 08/20/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

echoes_ said:
So are you implying that even though mushrooms helped me realize that life is worth living and loving, there is a higher chance of it all blowing up in my face?

If by chance the accutane is triggering suicidal thoughts, and you happy to be under the influence of mushrooms, then yes I would say there is a higher chance of it blowing up. Accutane is nasty stuff, even when I had bad ache I didn't take it, I decided to find the root cause of it in my dietary choices rather than risk accutane.

Offlineechoes_
Stranger

Re: Does Accutane increase the chances of adverse effects from psychedelic use? [Re: Lennyk]
    #10898810 - 08/20/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Lennyk said:
If by chance the accutane is triggering suicidal thoughts, and you happy to be under the influence of mushrooms, then yes I would say there is a higher chance of it blowing up. Accutane is nasty stuff, even when I had bad ache I didn't take it, I decided to find the root cause of it in my dietary choices rather than risk accutane.

oops I forgot to mention, I stopped taking Accutane in December...but the depression stuck after I stopped using it. the depression went away, however, with the continued use of psychedelics. I was simply asking if the chances were higher given the recent history of unnaturally-induced psychosis. Not if tripping whilst on Accutane increases the chances, which I'm sure it did at the time, but I really never had any problems with it.

Although there is a history of depression on both sides of my family...which most likely accentuated my psychotic episode.

Offlinesilosighbin
this is the apocalypse
Male

Loc: isla vista baby!
    #10898830 - 08/20/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Depression =/= psychosis. trust me!!

--------------------

i am caustic

Offlineechoes_
Stranger

Re: Does Accutane increase the chances of adverse effects from psychedelic use? [Re: silosighbin]
    #10899905 - 08/20/09 07:42 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

silosighbin said:
Depression =/= psychosis. trust me!!

no offense but how can I? I need more explanation than that...

what is your reasoning?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag