Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleZypur
Jesus fuck.
Male

Loc: Fucked reality.
Can morality exist without law?
    #10869606 - 08/16/09 10:41 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Example: Would you kill a man if there was no laws stopping you? If not laws, then what would stop you?

Discuss.

--------------------
Jesus fuck.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletoys in the attic
Death

Re: Can morality exist without law? [Re: Zypur]
    #10869716 - 08/16/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think morality is culturally defined, which is linked to laws which are also culturally defined. Many other cultures, mainly from the past, do not feel killing is wrong.

I would kill under extreme circumstances.

InvisibleZypur
Jesus fuck.
Male

Loc: Fucked reality.
Re: Can morality exist without law? [Re: toys in the attic]
    #10869934 - 08/16/09 11:51 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

toys in the attic said:
I think morality is culturally defined, which is linked to laws which are also culturally defined. Many other cultures, mainly from the past, do not feel killing is wrong.

I would kill under extreme circumstances.

I believe we'd all kill in a situation where it was the only way to save something we care about most. (Family/friends)

--------------------
Jesus fuck.

InvisibleGreen_T
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #10870249 - 08/16/09 12:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think rape provides a better example. I can think of plenty of situations where murder may be acceptable or warranted, but none where rape is acceptable.

To answer your question, I think people don't rape others because they want to obey the law, or are scared of getting caught, but rather know it just aint right to violate another person's sexual space - an issue of morality.

Would the number of rapes go up significantly if there were no laws against it? The laws certainly help in enforcing the idea that it is wrong (But as we all know, not everything illegal is wrong :wink:), and offering retribution to those who have been wronged.

Even if morality could exist without law, could justice still exist?

--------------------

"I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Legalize Meth | Drug War Victims

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #10870275 - 08/16/09 12:58 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Zypur said:
Example: Would you kill a man if there was no laws stopping you? If not laws, then what would stop you?

Discuss.

I know that the laws against smoking MJ stop everyone from doing so.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #10870881 - 08/16/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Zypur said:

Discuss.

This topic was already discussed a few weeks ago:

Why should I behave morally?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlineorgonebox
Fnord Distribution Adjutant

Re: Can morality exist without law? [Re: Poid]
    #10873011 - 08/16/09 09:50 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think the question merits consideration, although I admit I only briefly perused a few pages of the previous thread. 

The first problem with the basic question is the assumption that morality or law entails the other.  Rather, it should be considered that a collaborative state of a common, agreed morality is law, and that the morality demanded by law is not the same as a moral code autonomously chosen by an individual independent of the influence of law.  Obviously, neither law nor morality are absolute conditions, but relative codes which describe how a society behaves.  Some, all or none of your actions may be considered lawful or moral by an outside observer.  Thus your morality and your compliance with the law cannot exist without an observer, an external agent which either judges your actions or benefits/suffers from them.  A human alone is neither lawful nor moral except that the human behaves as though their actions may be observed, now or potentially later.  Although a solitary human may do things that we would consider moral - freeing an animal from a trap, or sparing the life of a doe with fawn - the absolute condition of their morality, along with cognizance of the total moral context in which their actions occur, i.e. against all actions undertaken in similar situations by other humans, the only moral context which matters is when the human undertaking the judged action imagines him/herself being judged.  However, the ability to imagine oneself being judged is predicated by a degree of moral encoding by a preceding communal context for the moral action.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom