Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Can someone help me w. my poo casing layer?!?!
    #1083237 - 11/24/02 11:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, here's the story. My friend got into spawning dung not too long ago. He's mostly using those aluminum foil loaf pans, and they're working out textbook perfect. So he decided to try some larger size casings, he spawned 2 containers, one was about 14 in. long x 11 in. wide x 6 in. deep, the other was about the same size. Everything went great, the thing was done in 8 days!!! Then he goes to put the casing layer on it, mixes it the same way he always has, but guess what?? The mycelium will not come thru the casing layer!! It works just fine on the aluminum bread loaf pans, no problem. But for some reason, when he goes to a bigger deeper casing, bam, nothing!! He was thinking maybe it was because there's a lot more casing layer cuz the cropping surface is bigger, that all the moisture in there like when it accumulates on the underside of the foil and drips down and gets stuff real wet. He did notice they're really wet in there. Should he poke more holes to let it air out more?? I mean, it is an obvious pattern. He spawned some of those square foil pans, the 10 x10 ones, same thing. He should have seen at least a little coming thru by now, and nothing shows. Any suggestions?!?! Thanks a ton!!!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: Can someone help me w. my poo casing layer?!?! [Re: Visigoth]
    #1083667 - 11/25/02 03:29 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You are making a casing layer of poo?

IME if the casing layer does not colonize, you most likely have bacteria. Unless the layer was too wet or too dry.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Anonymous

Re: Can someone help me w. my poo casing layer?!?! [Re: Visigoth]
    #1083914 - 11/25/02 08:14 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I use horse manure compost (Blue's Poo)and it simply does not need to be cased. There is already enough moisture in the compost. Adding a casing layer with more moisture will halt everything.

I cased a half a tray once and never got anything off that side.

OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

Re: Can someone help me w. my poo casing layer?!?! [Re: ]
    #1084336 - 11/25/02 12:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

No, sorry for the confusion. The casing layer is not made of poo. The poo is the substrate. He uses soil as a casing layer, its worked wonderfully so far and continues to do so on the loaf pans of poo. Perhaps the statement about it doesn't need to be cased does apply to the bigger ones like that. I mean, we're talking like an 11 in. long, 6 in. wide, 5 in, deep chunk of poo here. That IS a lot of moisture isn't it?? He thinks maybe he should try another one, only case one half, don't case the other half and see what happens. But wanted to try and figure it out w. all you guys first!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: Can someone help me w. my poo casing layer?!?! [Re: ]
    #1086674 - 11/26/02 03:08 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Then maybe you had a bad experience with casing. A casing layer is usually always a good idea. It can make for a more even pinset and is generally more generous to the cultivator.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags