Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
We're not Millets! We're little people....
    #1086639 - 11/26/02 04:50 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ok so sounds like Cubes like millet. I was planning on using millet and a little BRF. How should I go about preparing this? Know any TEKs? Also, I have 1/2 pint jars, will this suffice or should I go pint or even quart?! I would like to make 4 - 8 casing trays.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: We're not Millets! We're little people.... [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1086644 - 11/26/02 04:54 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1086646 - 11/26/02 04:55 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn't add any BRF
Just simmer the birdseed for ~30mins until it has swollen up. Pack into quart jars, about 2/3 full, with polyfil filters or filter disks. PC for 1-1.5 hours.  Allow to cool and inoculate.. pretty straight forward really  :smirk: 

InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
Re: We're not Millets! We're little people.... [Re: zeta]
    #1086776 - 11/26/02 05:45 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I only pressure cook for 45 minuites, and have never had any problems. . . yet. This is with quart jars of wheat and millet, though I don't think this would make any difference.

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
    #1086798 - 11/26/02 06:02 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I just put soaked birdseed in a pf jar once, and it worked fine.

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1087743 - 11/26/02 03:20 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

If you want to make 4 to 8 casing type trays. The size of the trays should be a consideration. As, a spawn to substrate ratio is a factor to consider. A spawn ratio of at least 10 % spawn to substrate is normal. I use a 20% spawn ratio.

So, figure the size trays & amount of substrate they would hold. Then figure the spawn ratio you want to use. That would give you an idea of how much spawn your going to need. You also need to determine what type substrate you will use & how to prepare it.

I would suggest dry - aged - cow or horse manure, if you can find some from a farm, stable, dairy, or where ever.

Milllet requires sterilization. So, you are going to have to PC it. Otherwise, you are looking at contam city, down the road. No need to include any BRF.

Seed/grain jars also have the advantage that they can be propagated via G2G transfer, very easy & quickly. Below is an easy method for prepping a bird seed mix. 6T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white, red millet & milo, with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $9.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin (a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: We're not Millets! We're little people.... [Re: SixTango]
    #1088145 - 11/26/02 05:41 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

Don't forget that adding peroxide to your grain post sterilization, pre- grain 2 grain innoculation, will greatly increase your chance of success.

Shoot for a .15% concentration of pure h2o2 in the final grain. Search for the math on that if you have trouble.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlinehenryp
Refugee from the Group W bench

#1088803 - 11/26/02 10:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

200ml millet, 140-150ml water in quart jars. No soaking, just add the grain and the water and PC for 75min. Water content is right, mycelium loves it, it's quick and painless.

You might have to fiddle with the water a bit depending on your grain. I wouldn't use any BRF, but that's just me. Ten jars (quarts) prepared this way is enough for 6-7 fairly large casings (9x13 size)....

Try this, try some of the other methods here. Not everyone has success with one particular method. Find one that works for you by trial and error.

Good luck!

--------------------
"You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and.....blow"

Invisiblethescientist
Loc: Dade County
Re: We're not Millets! We're little people.... [Re: mycofile]
    #1089161 - 11/27/02 12:00 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

mycofile,
how and when specifically do you add the .15 h2o2 to the jars?
this doesnt create too much water in the jars? i dont mean that the jars are full of h2o2 just that sometimes a couple mL's can make a difference in colonization.
thanks for any help
thecustodian

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1089221 - 11/27/02 12:23 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

OMG- slow down!! Too advanced for me.

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
Re: We're not Millets! We're little people.... [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1092919 - 11/28/02 02:35 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know if I got the right stuff or not. How do I check to see if it has anti-fungus agent????? Is this common???

The brand is KAYTEE. It says Garden Valley on the front, Wild Bird Food. Ingrediants say Milo, White Millet, Wheat, Oil Sunflower. Looks yummy, just don't know if has been treated or not.

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
Re: We're not Millets! We're little people.... [Re: mycofile]
    #1092946 - 11/28/02 02:54 AM (14 years, 6 months ago)

how much soon before the transfer do you inject the h202? Just inject and shake? Would sterilized rye break down h202 as fast as non sterilized?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology