Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineblinkinlights
superman
Male User Gallery

high times pf cakes
    #10856802 - 08/14/09 01:19 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i read in high times of this guy growin shrooms he made what i think was pint or half pint jars of pf cakes and when they were ready he  cut out the middle with apple core remover thing and filled the hole with wet verm is this a good method cause i was thinking of doing this for future grows

Edited by blinkinlights (08/14/09 01:19 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: high times pf cakes [Re: blinkinlights]
    #10856897 - 08/14/09 01:44 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Some people say it helps keep the cakes hydrated. i dont think you will need to use an apple core remover though. i have seen a vid not to long ago that showed this tek.

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: high times pf cakes [Re: TacoHerder]
    #10856901 - 08/14/09 01:45 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
TO ALL CULTIVATORS, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10899385
We need more member like mycochef, he is truly a kind giving person. Just ask Noobie, mycochef hooked him up big time!
Fastest Cultivation WINNER!!!! NoOneKnowsHowToAct won it twice, must be doing something right:super:

Shoot me a pm if you would like a powerful custom laser built. :smile: 4th pic is a 1.3W 445nm laser burning thru some plastic makeup containers. Yes I was wearing proper safety goggles, otherwise I would be blind right now.

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
    #10857000 - 08/14/09 02:11 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

iam not a cake grower and i usually refrain from any cake giving advice (except i think it's cool you can dunk before the first flush with cakes, unlike with bulk substrates, Sweet!) but i can't see how removing a good proportion of the mycelium and some of the fruitng area is a good idea.  i'd love to see otherwise, but that just sounds wrong, at least to me as a bulk sub cultivator.

Sounds more like you need to keep your substrate (cake) hydrated. ~Pixie~

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

Re: high times pf cakes [Re: Psuper]
    #10857011 - 08/14/09 02:14 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i think in the vid i saw they didnt take any out, the bottom of the jar is concaved, so when you take the cake out you can just apply the verm on that.

--------------------

Offlineblinkinlights
superman
Male User Gallery

#10857032 - 08/14/09 02:21 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TacoHerder said:
i think in the vid i saw they didnt take any out, the bottom of the jar is concaved, so when you take the cake out you can just apply the verm on that.

i dont know bout that but i know for shure that the guy in the mag cut holes down the middle and filled it with verm he also had a flooding system installed but it seemed pritty complicated

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10857047 - 08/14/09 02:25 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

seems ike people like to make things more complicated than they need to be

--------------------
:shrug:

Offlineblinkinlights
superman
Male User Gallery

Re: high times pf cakes [Re: nastos]
    #10857074 - 08/14/09 02:30 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i probably wont even do it  just thought it was a good idea seeing the fruits the guy had

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10857107 - 08/14/09 02:35 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

yeah the verm core sounds cool but agree that it would be removing a good portion of myc and food a good dunk and roll should be good enough to keep a cake hydrated.. as for a flooding system... wtf is that?

--------------------

Offlineblinkinlights
superman
Male User Gallery

#10857124 - 08/14/09 02:39 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

the guy had his cakes in a fish tank with nothing in bottom if i remember correctly and had tubes that would flood the whole chamber and then drain he had a whole room of tanks and it was all compleatly automated pritty smart setup actually but complicated

Edited by blinkinlights (08/14/09 02:39 AM)

InvisibleTacoHerder
Bluedavenger
Male User Gallery

#10857162 - 08/14/09 02:46 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

O ya, well i stayed at a Holiday Inn last night... so i think we all know who is really smart:grin:

--------------------

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10858048 - 08/14/09 09:14 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

funny
Quote:

blinkinlights said:
the guy had his cakes in a fish tank with nothing in bottom if i remember correctly and had tubes that would flood the whole chamber and then drain he had a whole room of tanks and it was all compleatly automated pritty smart setup actually but complicated

by flood the whole tank you mean fill it up with water like soak the hole cake?

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10858064 - 08/14/09 09:21 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

old outdated method.

www.mushroomvideos.com and watch the 4 pf tek videos.

dunk your cake before each flush including before the first. Roll in verm and mist to hydrate as it dries out during fruiting.

You can also put a spoonfull of verm ontop of the cake to help supply moisture, and also sit the cake in a saucer of water during the flush.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: high times pf cakes [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10858076 - 08/14/09 09:27 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i was gonna say its kinda wierd hightimes would have someone in there with a less than optimal setup

--------------------

Offlinetektonic
Mr. Mani-fest-ival

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: RL
    #10858078 - 08/14/09 09:28 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i've tried coring out a pint cake and filling it with verm, it had the same sized fruits as a 1/4 pint cake w/o a verm core :shrug:

just my experiance tho

--------------------
Growery

Daily Tzolkin

:peace: :heart: :earth:

"If triangles' had a God, he would have 3 sides."

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: high times pf cakes [Re: tektonic]
    #10858094 - 08/14/09 09:38 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

seems like the process would add  more time.. you wait long enough for 100% col. seems like dumb to damage it like tht especial since the mix is already mostly verm anyhow...

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #10858235 - 08/14/09 10:48 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I think it was fahtster who posted something similar here.  If I'm not mistaken, he takes a sharpie when he makes the cakes, pushes it into the unsterilized brf, and then fills the hole with verm. After that, the cakes are sterilized and inoculated in the normal way. However, with soaking/dunking, such methods are of dubious value.  You don't want a constant state moisture content.  You want an ebb and flow of substrate moisture content for best results.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineblinkinlights
superman
Male User Gallery

Re: high times pf cakes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10858611 - 08/14/09 01:20 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

here's a quote from the actual article
"i gazed about the room, superman began to explain how each tier was actually a shallow flood table, angled ever so slightly to allow each 10 gallon tank to drain into reservoirs at the base of the structure"

"with superman actually coring out the center of each cake (with a bong slide stem, i might add) and filling the middle with a column of small vermiculite particles. on a good day superman can pack 600 jars"

turns out this was done before spores were injected, but the guy who wrote that article might be tripping cause it says after that he sterilized after he injected

also the growers record is 23 dry pounds a month

Edited by blinkinlights (08/14/09 01:22 PM)

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10858626 - 08/14/09 01:22 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

high times should stick to weed

why would he do 600 cakes a day why wouldnt he do bulk

--------------------

Edited by nastos (08/14/09 01:23 PM)

Offlineblinkinlights
superman
Male User Gallery

#10858727 - 08/14/09 01:50 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

i don't know but the grower did say in the article that his Technique  considered old school

Edited by blinkinlights (08/14/09 02:02 PM)

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#10859495 - 08/14/09 03:56 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I'm nearly 100 % it was Fahster,search "Rez effect"

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: high times pf cakes [Re: Blutjager]
    #10882191 - 08/18/09 01:48 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I got the idea from PF himself off his old site.  He was the first vendor I ordered from.  It's the inner rez tek... I used it because I didn't dunk prior to first flush, I watered slowly over the course of few days... Actually, here is an explanation of what I did with the cakes... It's in my tek index over at 'topia but I should have it here also.

I wrote it a long time ago and I don't have time to reread it, so I'm just going to quote the entire thing so some of it may be a little outdated or some of you may not agree with it, but it worked for me...

Quote:

CAKE WATERING TIPS

The idea is a simple one... if you want more mushrooms, you need more water... if you add more water, you need more FAE . There is a certain point of water retention in a cake that is most beneficial to the cakes production of pins and the maturation of those pins into full fruit-bodies. I call it the "Arc of Excellence", others call it the "Point of Diminishing Returns".

Picture an Arc and at the pinnacle of this arc is a point... this point is where the retention of water is at it's most beneficial to pin formation/development and then the maturation of those pins, hopefully 100% of the pins formed or at least most of them while safely resisting contams or drying out. To the left of that point is less water and to the right is too much water. Going too much to the right can result in contamination due to the water content being too high and the cake cannot cycle all the water has available to it. This over-saturation can also lead to poor pin formation and/or pin abortion. Not enough water can also cause poor pin formation/maturation. adjustments on either side of the point are easy to make... simply add more water if the cake is too dry or allow the cake to dry out a bit if it's too wet.

The inner reservoir  is a great way to increase water distribution evenly throughout your cakes. even tho it's a small column (about the diameter of a nickel), it has no nutes and therefore is not completely colonized; only partially which keeps the reservoir intact and allows for absorption all along its length. This also acts as an extension of your top and bottom casing  layers providing water to all parts of the fruiting  surface. it's true that cakes have more surface area, but without proper water hydration, that extra area is unused. I highly recommend the inner reservoir  and that it's made when the cakes are made... this allows the cake to slightly colonize it which, again, keeps it intact and stops water from just draining out the other end and also allows the cake to absorb water from it thru the myc that thinly colonizes it.

It's quite easy to know when to add water to the cake if we follow the processes and environment that the cake is subject to. Adding water to the cake right after birth is the best way to achieve that "point". This is because the cake is sterile right after birth, which helps with the contamination risk. The cake also doesn't have to struggle and reserve water; resulting is a healthy, unstressed cake right from the get-go. This is why dunked cakes or cakes that water has been fractionally added typically do better than undunked cakes on their first flush.

If you Dunk  your cakes after birth, I would Dunk the cakes up 24 hours; do it in a fridge if possible... if doing it in the fridge isn’t possible, I’d change the water every 4-6 hours, especially if you’re dunking in a hot environment. Then apply a moist to wet casing  layer and leave be unwatered until about mid pinning.. of course doing your FAE's at least twice a day. I've done both, but lately I've chosen fractionally adding water after Birthing  over dunking . This is how I do that:

You can (highly recommended, def. during the summer months) pasteurize  your casing  material before application and boil the water you plan on using for the soaking of the casing  via bottle sprayer

1. I put down a piece of tin foil on the Perlite  and put a small pile of verm  on the foil and soak with water.

2. open the jars and poor off any uncolonized verm  air barrier... I don't scrape off the verm  that is attached to the cake... why? this is sterilized casing  material.. no reason to remove it if you're just going to put verm  on there anyhow (unless of course you are using a verm/coir  mixture or something similar). But regular verm  by itself works great.

3. then I birth the cake and hold it under water for about a minute with verm  barrier and all... this hydrates that verm  in the inner reservoir  and the air barrier.

4. I then apply a thick casing  layer, about that size is good (1.5 inches), to the top of the cake and soak it with water... to the point that there is water draining off the cake when it's tilted a little bit and place it on top of the pile of wet verm  on the foil. the cake will suck up this water in the next couple days... basically, this is a slow Dunk  but with lots of air available during the absorption.

5. Now you can do what I like to do and stack another cake on top of that one... this is a great space saver and utilizes the space you are already using. To stack the cakes, you need to put another piece of foil between them or water will get pulled down from the top cake via gravity; this will water log the bottom cake and dry out the top cake. You'll probably get a nice flush  from the bottom one but that cake will probably contam the next time around due to being water logged... putting a piece of foil between them stops this action of forcing the water down or at least slows it considerably. Now just repeat the steps for the top cake and put a small pile of soaked verm  on the foil and so on.

6. Now once you have your single verm  soaked cake, you give it a couple days to absorb that soaking... I come back on the third day of birth and soak the top casing  layer again to the point of pooling... This gets the cake about to the that "point" on the arc...

**note** -if you are doing the two cake "towers" only soak the top cakes top verm  casing  layer... the bottom cake just doesn't need a second soaking... it doesn't lose much water due to it being in close proximity of the Perlite  and being "capped" off by the top cake which allows for less evaporation. some of the water from the top cakes does find it's way to the bottom cake too, so that second soaking will most likely water log the cake.

7. Now I let the cakes go without another watering until mid fruiting  where the cakes need lots of water to extend their fruits. Watering here can replace the need for a Dunk  between flushes one and two.

There are is a large amount of factors that also play a role in when you should add water to the cake (which I do so by watering the center of the top casing  layer directly over where the inner reservoir  is located). The stages in which the growth of the myc. is in is a big one.. which is also entwined with when you birthed the cakes. If you birth the cake before Pinning  starts invitro , longer periods of evaporation need to be taken into consideration before the cake starts Pinning , which can be upwards of a week or more. But then entwined with that is the RH  of the air that you are exchanging when doing your FAE's. So lets say you are in a climate where in the winter the RH  is very low and the air is dry... when you do your FAE's in that climate, more evaporation is going to take place from your cakes and Perlite ; whereas, if you are doing your FAE's in a climate where the RH  is high (the summer months anywhere), then less evaporation after exchanging your new air is going to occur and that balance on that "point" will remain steady with little fluctuation so less water will need to be replaced. Even if you are in a low RH  environment, a small amount of water will need to be replaced as there is little growth in the way of pins which results in little need for the cake to tap into it's reserve within it's structure. Even during the Pinning  stage, small amounts of water are used in pin formation (more than before pin formation but not much). This can be seen in how dense the pins are.

Myc. is going to produce its pins at a point on the cake where four factors come together in the best ratio for optimal fruit development through spore dispersal: nutrients, air, water, and structure. This is why Pinning  on the edges are a preferred place for myc. in a overlayed casing  or normal casing  or on a cake, where the DEC  and myc. meet. (thanks Golly ). This is why you want to keep your DEC  nice and moist during the pinnig stage... this signals the cake that this is a good spot to grow a whole shit load of mushies.. and if the cake is nice and healthy and not struggling in any way, it'll put out a nice pinset and see all, if not most of those pins to maturation. But in order to see all those pins mature, another step should be taken.

This is where larger amounts of water can be added safely to the cakes' casing.. Right after pin maturity (right before the caps starts breaking away from the stem), the cake is getting ready to use A LOT of it's water reserve. This is because it is using this water to inflate and elongate the cells in it's fruitbodies... not to say that tissue gain in the fruits is completely stopped but certainly slowed as water inflates the mushrooms. This is (ime) why the growth of mushrooms happens so rapidly after pin maturation. So it's during mid fruiting  that water should or can be added to the casing  layer so that the cake can easily use this new water through absorption by gravity and inner reservoir . This will permit more of those mature pins to go on to mature sporulating fruit-bodies. This watering can also keep the water retained in the cake high in volume if it's replaced as the cake used it during pin maturation. once the cake is fully mature.. the cake will still be heavy and therefore all that is needed is a bleach  dip  and a new pasteurized casing  layer to be added and once again soaked (minus the third day of flush  soak, it's unneeded and possibly harmful to your cakes--- but should be taken into consideration by how hydrated your cakes are if it should be done or not) to bring the cake back to that "point". But a Dunk  is never a bad idea... just other ways to go at it. And some strains prefer dryer conditions than others so you really should play around with it... find your own way of doing things.. keep track of what you do and your results... And if you do decide to experiment, don't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation