Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGratefulDread
Never pass up anopportunity topee.

Simple Bastardized Flowhood/Glovebox
    #1085244 - 11/25/02 06:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have a sort of mixed flowhood/glove box I've been using for a while and have found that it cuts down on contaminants considerably. I've never had a comtaminated syringe using it yet (knock on wood). It took me about 5 minutes to make and I thought someone might find the design useful.

I started with a 18 inch square wooden box I found that I beleive was used for tea or some such thing (It would be easy to slap together one using plywood and 4X4's). I cut out the bottom and cut a square out of one side leaving about one inch all around the hole on the side. Then I took a 18" X 18" piece of plywood (a side from another box} and cut it diagonally. I fixed both triangles to the bottom with 4X4's sloping away from the side that was cut and then took yet another 18' X 18" piece and nailed it to the sloping part of the triangle. Then I fixed a 18' X 18" plate of plexiglass (bought from the hardware store) to the hole in the side. It looks something like this:

The open end of the slope has a layer of tyvek house wrap nailed across it and the box is put into the oven on the rack point first with the work surface totally outside the oven . The tyvek acts as a barrier to contams and allows limited airflow. This creates a positive pressure inside the box and keeps airborn contams out.
    I use it on the rack in my oven turned on about 200 and the red arrows show the air flow. Before each use I spray the insides with lysol and disinfect a plastic cutting boardwith lysol and put it on the bottom to work on and let it sit in the oven for 3 minutes to let it evaporate  then I soak a dish towel with lysol and tack it to the front to put my hands under to work looking through the glass.

I hope I explained this out alright and that ot's of some use to someone. Any criticism is appreciated.
:smile: 

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Edited by GratefulDread (11/25/02 11:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetwistedweather
ka-blammo

Re: Simple Bastardized Flowhood/Glovebox [Re: GratefulDread]
    #1085398 - 11/25/02 07:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"I use it on the rack in my oven turned on about 200 and the red arrows show the air flow"

I dont really understand this statement.

Does this mean you have the oven heated at 200, and the glovebox is set on the rack in the oven.... then innoculating under the plexiglass while the sloped airflow vent is recieving the outside (sterilized) air from the oven?

could one jus create a box similiar to it, spray the inside, and use the towel soaked with lysol as the entry area for the hands? so basically without the oven?
wouldnt this provide a limited air space, resulting in less chance of contamination?

--------------------

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Edited by twistedweather (11/25/02 07:32 PM)

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1085626 - 11/25/02 08:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't understand the point. 200F is not hot enough to kill anything and you are using no filtration, so basically you are just blowing in warm contaminants. Or am I missing something?

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: Simple Bastardized Flowhood/Glovebox [Re: dog]
    #1085642 - 11/25/02 08:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Errr read the oven tek. Its hot enough to blow contaminant free air out. It might not kill them but there not there. Either that or my house is sterile

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Simple Bastardized Flowhood/Glovebox [Re: resin]
    #1085658 - 11/25/02 08:56 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Anno made a post a while back that demonstrated quite clearly that the oven tek was ineffective.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineNew Name
New Name, OldUser
Loc: ATL
    #1085725 - 11/25/02 09:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I do everything in the open air and it has worked well for me. Even with grain to grain transfers.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will tell a cop that I know my fucking rights and we can match wits all night" -311
Don't let the cops search you. Let them know that you care about your rights.

OfflineGratefulDread

#1086205 - 11/25/02 11:23 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"I don't understand the point. 200F is not hot enough to kill anything and you are using no filtration, so basically you are just blowing in warm contaminants. Or am I missing something? "

Sorry is about all I can say.

I was in a hurry to type this post in on my lunch break and I forgot a couple  small detail. The open end of the slope has a layer of tyvek house wrap across it and the box is put into the oven on the rack point first with the work surface totally outside the oven . The tyvek acts as a barrier to contams and allows limited airflow. This creates a positive pressure inside the box and keeps airborn contams out.

Next time I'll fully read my own posts before I submit them

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: resin]
    #1086221 - 11/25/02 11:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Edited by matts (11/25/02 11:36 PM)

OfflineGratefulDread

Re: Simple Bastardized Flowhood/Glovebox [Re: matts]
    #1086243 - 11/25/02 11:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i don't understand how you use tyvek as a filter. i can't blow or suck air through tyvek no matter how much i try.

tyvek can be used as a filter on jars to allow air exchange and keep contams out. and the airflow is minimal but if u add the heat which makes the air rise and flow towards the front of the box it works prety good

--------------------

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
    #1086265 - 11/25/02 11:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

And this keeps contams out how? Just because there is positive pressure inside doesnt mean it keeps contams out.. after all you are blowing air in to create this positive pressure.

The idea behind the oven tek is that you use a slightly hotter air in the work space then your surrounding space so that you end up forming a convection cell. This will create an updraft in ur work space. All this helps to do is keep from contams falling down due to gravity. This doesnt mean it makes it a contam free area, since the air moving up has to come from somewhere. But it still helps agains stuff falling inside jars and such.

This idea, that you have used to create moving air seems rather flawed in preforming any type of contam free environment. It seems like your just making a non draft free environment and therefor actually increasing ur chances of getting contams. From all the arrows I see, it seems like air would just be moving across your work space, this does nothing to prevent contams. The idea of flow hoods and gloveboxes is to either create a controlled/still environment or create and updraft, such as the oven tek does.

Although you have tried to incorporate both ideas, this makes each other cancel out. Your box would need hole(s) on the top to let air out.. but in this case you might as well just use the oven alone. Seems like what this actually does is suck in contams... If you filtered the air it would probably work alot better.. that or just have it in a still environment and use it against moving air and dropping contams.

OfflineGratefulDread

Re: Simple Bastardized Flowhood/Glovebox [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1086278 - 11/26/02 12:02 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"And this keeps contams out how? Just because there is positive pressure inside doesnt mean it keeps contams out.. after all you are blowing air in to create this positive pressure. "

"The open end of the slope has a layer of tyvek house wrap across it and the box is put into the oven on the rack point first with the work surface totally outside the oven . The tyvek acts as a barrier to contams and allows limited airflow. This creates a positive pressure inside the box and keeps airborn contams out"

ummm wasn't that already addressed?

--------------------

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
    #1086310 - 11/26/02 12:21 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry I dont know what tyvek house wrap is or how efficient it is.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures