Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Scales, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSproogz
Loc: Canada
ShroomGods StrawTek ?
    #1085006 - 11/25/02 07:01 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Hi everyone, I have a friend who wants to try ShroomGods Strawtek but has a few questions. 

First, the tek sujests using colonized birdseed, but would the Alien Substrate formula work ?  He started to use it because it had said that the grower would see a potency increase of 10-15%.  In combination with the straw tek would the fruit still be expected to have the increased potency? 

Seccondly, Tip #1 states that it is a good idea to buy an "egg crate" light diffuser material and place over the plastic.  It also say's to be careful not to cover too many holes in the plastic.  Could someone please explain this to me because I read it as contradicting?

Lastly,  if anyone who has experience with straw teks and would like to offer any suggestions, I'm listening 

ThX  :smile:       

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Loc: La La Land
Re: ShroomGods StrawTek ? [Re: Sproogz]
    #1087046 - 11/26/02 10:01 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Hey sproogs..

I'm in the same shoes... i'm planning on doing straw once my millet jars are done up, i'm sure that your alien cakes will do fine, as long as you don't have pins on the cake,, just the mycelium,, it should be fine.

what you want to do is pack the straw down to make a bed without too many air pockets.

You want to cut and pasteurize your straw, then lay a layer down, add a broken up cake, ( put your cake in a zip lock bag and crush it up ) and more straw, more cake etc.. then cover it up with plastic and pack it down, punch holes in the plastic for air to get in, and the egg crate thing is to hold down the plastic i think so that the straw does not unpack itself and cause contam probs.. you can substitute the egg thing for anything transparent, and heavy enough to hold down the straw bed and let the cake colonize the straw...

once the straw is colonized remove the plastic and fruit!

I might be totally wrong here.. but that's my 0.02!!
hope it helps.
cg

--------------------
************************************.>>>>>
Here Johny,, have a joint.. all your friends are doing it!!

Edited by Curious_George (11/26/02 10:01 AM)

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus

Loc: South Africa
Re: ShroomGods StrawTek ? [Re: Curious_George]
    #1087049 - 11/26/02 10:03 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

I would suggest instead of layering the spawn that you rather mix everything together so that the innoculation points are evenly distributed throughout the substrate.
Then make sure you pack you straw down well to ensure correct contact with the spawn.

--------------------
Derrayld and out of control

OfflineCurious_George
You want abaloon?

Loc: La La Land
Re: ShroomGods StrawTek ? [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #1087083 - 11/26/02 10:19 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Soooooo.......

You'd dump the straw in the bin, thow in the millet, cake, whatever,,, and with latex gloves ( not needed, but i would ) mix the whole thing together, pack it down and then plastic etc........

sound right???

or would you transfer the straw from the pillow case into a garbage bag, add millet, shake it up a la chicken tonight then layer...

would not really matter i guess... man i hate answering my own questions....

cg

--------------------
************************************.>>>>>
Here Johny,, have a joint.. all your friends are doing it!!

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus

Loc: South Africa
Re: ShroomGods StrawTek ? [Re: Curious_George]
    #1087104 - 11/26/02 10:25 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

I work in layers as you suggested except as I apply each layer I mix it together.
So ultimatelly the whole lot will be mixed.
I don`t use gloves, I just wash my hands with antibacterial soap or rubbing alcohol.

--------------------
Derrayld and out of control

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ShroomGods StrawTek ? [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #1087294 - 11/26/02 11:40 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Layer's or thorough mxing work pretty equally well. On the scale most of you grow, the difference in colonization will only be a few hours to a day tops.

The point of the egg crate is to keep the straw compacted. Compacted substrates colonize quicker and yield better. They also conserve water, putting less stress on the moisture in the casing. The reason the egg crate is used is because of it's open grid like structure. He says to not block too many of the perforations in the plastic so that the straw can still breathe. All he means is to try and make sure that you don't cover up all the holes with the thin pieces of plastic which make up the grid. IME, you won't ever cover up enough of them to matter. But just to be safe (actually I like this better anyway) you can go ahead and spawn the straw, compress it as much as you can, cover it with un perforated plastic, compress and put the egg crate and weight on. Then use a thin tool like an ice pick or small screw driver to poke a hole in each hole of the egg crate. The weight on the plastic makes poking the holes easier. Then just move whatever weight is holding the crate down, and poke holes in the holes of the grid underneath it. Walla, perfect number of holes, perfectly evenly spaced, and none covered by the plastic of the egg crate.

Cakes can be used as spawn. I would recomend using more of them simply becuase most people don't break cakes up into as small pieces as you would have with a whole grain, especially millet.

Oh, and no, you can't expect a potency increase of 10-15% with this method. But the reason for that is simple. You can't expect a potency increase of 10-15% with any method. Regardless of what the author of the tek may say.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: ShroomGods StrawTek ? [Re: mycofile]
    #1087303 - 11/26/02 11:48 AM (15 years, 19 days ago)

In reply to:

Cakes can be used as spawn. I would recomend using more of them simply becuase most people don't break cakes up into as small pieces as you would have with a whole grain, especially millet

I have found that using a sterilized cheese grater works wonders when using cakes, it produces rather small, fine bits without harming the mycellium too severely. It produces far more inoculation points than crumbling, IME. Just grate your cakes right into the substrate and mix. Easy as pie.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: ShroomGods StrawTek ? [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1088152 - 11/26/02 05:43 PM (15 years, 19 days ago)

Great tip fred!

--------------------

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineSproogz
Loc: Canada
    #1091617 - 11/27/02 06:51 PM (15 years, 18 days ago)

I just wanted to thank you guys for setting me straight (especially the potency thing).  After doing some reading, the Corncob Mycelium Slurry caught my attention.  Has anyone tried this ? And how was it ?

Thanks Again  :smile:   

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1097247 - 11/30/02 12:22 AM (15 years, 16 days ago)

I remember back when corncob first came up. I was personally never impressed with it. It just didn't seem to give good solid rizo growth. I did get growth. I couldn't fruit it directly. I did use some successfully as spawn once. I mainly stopped because I like the idea of using grain spawn to supplement the nutritional content of bulk subs like straw.

Try the cob if you like, but I'd stick to straw with lots of grain spawn.

Another thing you can do if you want. I made a corn cob based spawn b4 by supplementing the relatively non-nutritious cob with nutrients like yeast powder, soy powders, sugars etc. It worked pretty well. But so do most spawns once you get the hang of them.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Scales, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology