Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTryptamineDream
Stranger
Female
Liquid culture from spore print?
    #10849152 - 08/12/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I have a spore print that I received from a friend. Her grow wasn't hugely successful and the mushrooms never got very big (the vast majority never even opened their caps) so the print itself is tiny and there aren't a lot of spores to work with. I want to do something with the spores and continue the variety, but I don't want to screw up and waste them - I'm still very much a newb when it comes to growing, my first jars are still colonizing.

I could make a spore syringe using the spores but I think that would just add unnecessary steps and increase the risk of contamination. So I was thinking that I should make a liquid culture directly from the spores instead. I have two other (surprisingly) successful liquid cultures going where I just nuked the container+solution for a few minutes and inoculated once it cooled down. In my noobish ineptitude I even lifted the saran wrap for one of them to inoculate (as opposed to just poking the needle through) and that culture is doing fine.

So my question is, if I did the same thing (nuked the container+solution) and, instead of inoculating, I scraped in the spores using a flame-sterilized knife, would that be fine? I work in a small room that I spray and clorox down beforehand, so it is reasonably sterile. I don't have a glovebox, but I could see about throwing one together using a cardboard box and saran wrap if that will make the process of transferring the spores safer. (I actually did that before, but the box ended up being too small to work in - I'd need to find a bigger box.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Liquid culture from spore print? [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #10849190 - 08/12/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think you are better off to hydrate the spores in a syringe no matter what else you choose.
A small print still has lots and lots of spores, no problem there. Then use that to start your LC. Or even better (if you have a PC) do some grain jars and make Grain LC.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflinePsuper
Psilocybin

Loc: PNW
Re: Liquid culture from spore print? [Re: Doc_T]
    #10849237 - 08/12/09 09:20 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Why do you need three LCs going?

--------------------
Clinical Management of High Dose Psilocybin Sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbHOTIqjZLk

OfflineTryptamineDream
Stranger
Female
    #10849260 - 08/12/09 09:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I do have a PC, but I don't know anything about grain jars, the most I've read up on really is PF tek. Do you have any links to teks that would be handy? I've found agar's grain LC tek but I haven't found info on actually doing grain jars, I imagine it's a pretty simple process if you have a PC though...?

@Psuper, I did two Ecuador LCs just to be on the safe side in case one contaminates - it was my first time and I wasn't sure if I'd be successful at all. This is a different variety (I forget which one though) which is why I'd be doing another LC with it.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Liquid culture from spore print? [Re: TryptamineDream]
    #10849367 - 08/12/09 09:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Here's a good link: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/
And here's another: http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

Hey Psuper, while you are here-
You said before that you use less coffee now than you used to. I was wondering why.
(It's not off topic,it's preemptive. :rofl:)

Skalthern, that's coffee grounds in bulk substrate. Useful with grains or with PF cakes, either way.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #10849520 - 08/12/09 10:10 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I just did my first LC from spores with Cambodian.. it has blown up in a matter of days. Good stuff. I have an old M3 medic bag from the Army, in it is a bunch of IV set ups, I used a sterile IV needle to scrape the print into the jar, in a cardboard/seran wrap glove box. Guess that worked, I just steam sterilized everything and liberally used alcohol inbetween every step, flamed the needles, etc.,. we'll see when i knock up a jar how clean it is. I also used the smallest weakest print I had, and like I said, it has blown up with myc.

I also have 3 LC's going, 2 edible (Enoki & Lions Mane) and one Cambo.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck