Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineloki4x
Kaptin Krunch
Loc: NW U.S.A/
aquarium setup
    #1084822 - 11/25/02 05:38 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Ok, I've been looking into growing mushrooms for about 6 months now and have researched extensivly on the subject. This is the first time I have posted.

I plan on using the PF Tek using 1/2 pint jars to grow my mushrooms in a 10 gallon aquarium with a plexigalss lid that can slide on and off.  The aquarium also has a round hole in the bottom about 1" in diamiter(sp?) and sits on a base about 1/2" off of the ground.

I want to build a system that can run mostly on it's own.  My question is: What would be that best way (budget freindly ways would be nice, but others are welcome :grin:) to humidify, temp, and air out the aquaruim using pumps, timers, and those sort of things.

This is my idea for fanning:
I was thinking of cutting a hole in the lid and then mounting a computer fan (with an on.off switch) into the hole keeping the top of the fan flush with the top of the lid.

Then I would take peice that was cut out and put a rubber seal around the outside and use it for a door to trap the air inside. Obviously you take it off when you want to fan the terrarium.

For humidifying the terrarium I was thinking of running a pump under the terrarium and use the 1" hole for the opening.  But I'm not exactly sure how to set that up.  any help would be appreciated. Also any links on this subject would be nice.

Note:    The reason I'm not choosing the tupperwear tub method is beacuse I am making this one of my new hobbies and I plan on experimenting with many different strans of mushrooms. Thus being the case, I want to have a very nice terrarium setup so I can use many times in the future. 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineloki4x
Kaptin Krunch
Re: aquarium setup [Re: loki4x]
    #1086219 - 11/26/02 01:33 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

What would be the best way to set it up, given the spec of my aquarium?

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1086500 - 11/26/02 03:40 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

yea, i dont really get the hole thing...im not sure if hte computer fan will work. i have heard people say before that you have to fan it out by hand no matter what. just go the cheap, easy, and effective way. an aquarium with perlite and a lid. thats it. and it works.

Offlineloki4x
Kaptin Krunch
    #1087826 - 11/26/02 03:56 PM (14 years, 15 days ago)

Thank you for the info. Using the way you described is an option. But I want to set up the aquarium with a system that humidifies on its own. I will probably throw out the computer fan idea and stick to fanning it manually.

Also I was looking into using the method that includes an air pump and H2O2. I'm not sure on the specifics on how to do it. I plan on starting a grow log including the setup of this aquarium, so any help would be nice or if you could direct me to a link with good directions on how to set this up that would be awesome.  :smile: 

Offlineloki4x
Kaptin Krunch
    #1091476 - 11/27/02 05:33 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

Sorry. There is a correction. The aquarium is 55 gallon, not 10 gallon.

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: aquarium setup [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1091495 - 11/27/02 05:41 PM (14 years, 14 days ago)

In reply to:

yea, i dont really get the hole thing...

Well some people say it aids in removing co2 from fruiting chamber when put on bottom. co2 is desner than o2 so the co2 will be on the bottom most portion of the fruiting chamber. but still i think with enuff o2 generated or put in there it could push the co2 out of the bottom?? just my .02

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
    #1104501 - 12/02/02 05:59 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

use an ultrasonic humidifier on a timer for humidity. Perlite will turn into a huge pain in the ass if you're trying to humidify a 55 gal aquarium. The humidifier i have works for about 10 days before it needs to be refilled. Although the best way for an air exchange is to fan, you can get around this. You will need a hole in the bottom to reduce CO2 buildup and to get rid of the water that will build up from the humidifier. If you cut a hole in the top of your ter and cover it from one corner with a plastic bag, you can make it so air will go out but not come in. The air coming in from the humidifier will be enough. This can be difficult to setup, but once it is, the only thing you have to do is change the water in the humidifier.

Offlineloki4x
Kaptin Krunch
Re: aquarium setup [Re: flow]
    #1104663 - 12/02/02 06:55 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

would I be able to to use an air pump that pumps air through H2O2 set on a timer to humidify a 55 gallon tank? And if so how would I hook a timer to the pump?

Anonymous

#1104794 - 12/02/02 07:53 PM (14 years, 9 days ago)

it's been pointed out i tend to over engineer things myself... i'm not ripping u... i think it's a good thing... alot of people don't mind the 3 plastic jugs connected by 1/8" plastic tubing... i'm always looking for ways to make things smaller and more effective... i'm messing with ultrasonic parts right now.... go for it!!! u da man moe... u da man!!! :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology