Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Flavored Substrate
    #1084466 - 11/25/02 03:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Natas mentioned this in passing as a way to improve the taste of mushrooms. Not being keen on the taste of cowshit, I thought it deserved further investigation.

Would it be possible to add some orange extract to the water, which would be absorbed into the fruit? Or could one just sprinkle tang in w/ the substrate? Could this be done during casing?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAuditory Misperception
Digital Hippy
Re: Flavored Substrate [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1085138 - 11/25/02 07:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

hmmmm, I actually like the taste of shrooms, I've never eaten any grown on cow shit, but I might have to try something like this just for shits and giggles....

I have concentrated bubble gum flavoring for making hard candy. It can flavor a glass of water with just one drop... dohh I just looked at the botle and the first ingrediant is alcohol.. I wonder if it will still be a liquid if I let it evaporate or if solid would be soluble in water. It's just alcohol, Propylene Glycol, natural and artificial flavors and red 40. I'm guessing the alcohol is in there so that it's in a liquid state and that when you make candy or whatever it evaporates.

Even if I can get rid of the alcohol their's stilll the question of weather it the fruits would soak up the flavoring throught the casing. From my experience shrooms grown on BRF and verm don't really taste like eaither of those, but i don't a have anything to compair them to..

Maybe instead of casing with a flavored substrate we could just soak dried fruit in a water/flavoring solution then redry them.

I'm actually gonna try this right now and see what happens...

1/4 gram of random very dry stems in a solution of one drop of this bubble gum stuff and enough water to just cover the stems. I'm hoping the stems suck up all of the solution so that the alcohol doesn't extract the fun stuf.. I'll leave them in their over night and redry them tomorow, then taste them one of these days and post my results..

OfflineAuditory Misperception
Digital Hippy
Re: Flavored Substrate [Re: Auditory Misperception]
    #1088061 - 11/26/02 05:12 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The stuff I used didn't work to well, they are definatly flavored and they taste really good, but I'm pretty certain that all the good stuff got destroyed, they are dark dark blue... Maybe some type of flavoring that doesn't have alcohol would work though...

OfflineALHOFF177A17
DoWn RU?

#1088269 - 11/26/02 06:42 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

LOL Tang shrooms #1 Austronaut's choice.

--------------------
www.DoWnClothing.COM

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Auditory Misperception]
    #1088344 - 11/26/02 07:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Invisibleblahblahblah
Mad Scientist

Loc: South America
Re: Flavored Substrate [Re: matts]
    #1088429 - 11/26/02 07:49 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I am glad all of you know what cow shit tastes like

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: blahblahblah]
    #1089277 - 11/27/02 12:45 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1093037 - 11/28/02 03:39 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i can't see what the big deal is about the taste. even if you don't like it, if it isn't worth putting up with it for the experience, why eat them? not to sound like i'm ragging or anything though.
anyway, to put in something constructive... since i have read about using dried, aged mint stems as a substrate, i thought it might work to use mint leaves as an additive. one possible problem is that i'm not sure if the oils in the leaves (and unaged stems for that matter) would simply prevent the mycelium from colonising them, or if they would inhibit growth in the substrate as a whole. if anyone chemicaly minded could answer this i'd be appreciative, as i think the oils in mints are similar to those in resinous conifers that inhibit the growth of woodloving species.
ok, enough mindless babbling from me...

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
    #1094453 - 11/28/02 07:37 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

you could inject tang into them before drying. My friend went to see mindless self indulgence about a year ago. They sucked awful. There was a chick in the band wearing a hockey mask. He e-mailed the band the band inquireing if it might be a cock sucking protection device. They apologised for the show sucking, and were fully aware that they sucked and blamed it on something i forget.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology