Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations
    #1081859 - 11/24/02 01:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It is my strong opinion that ADD and the related family of "disorders" are clinical drug trials that have been widely legitimized by the Pharmaceutical companies with the help of the American Medical Association.

In the "Compromise" forum, Buddha5254 claimed that "ADD is a result of chemical imbalances in the brain, which has been proven".  I do not buy this and I would like to see a single case where ADD/etc.. was shown to exist by means other than a psychological evaluation or checklist of symptoms. 

When i was in 7th grade, my school told my mom I had ADD and they tried to get me on one of the medications for it.  I basically told em to fuck off. It wasn't that I got bad grades, I was just a "disruptive student", probably for lots of reasons when I think back on it. I am now a college student and I have grown up through this climate that seems to accept medicating kids with powerful, mind-bending drugs like Ritalin and Adderol.  My best friend in 5th grade was reduced to a miserable, drooling sloth everyday for 8 hours whenver he had to dose his ritalin.  He was just a creative, energetic guy.
If the system can't deal with the kids, drugs are not the answer.  Drugs should only be used by children by their own choice  :laugh: (kidding)

So what do you think? 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: Viveka]
    #1082027 - 11/24/02 03:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yes and no.

ADD/ADHD are definately real. I've seen some pretty extreme examples of these disorders, and sometimes ritalin, dexadrine, or adderal are like miracle drugs. The problem is, they're overprescribed.

I was prescribed dexadrine when I was younger, and it did nothing. My problem wasn't a short attention span, it was that I had trouble giving a fuck about schoolwork. There are psychologists prescribing these drugs left and right. A lot of the time, the problem is motivation and not attention. There is no drug for motivation.

Ritalin won't make you into a drooling sloth. These drugs are powerful stimulants. They don't calm kids down so much as make them more focused. The ADHD kids are hyperactive because they can't focus. Like I said before, I've seen cases where kids seem to almost magically turn from destructive hellions into dilligent students. It's not all that common though.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Offlinemachineelf368
self-transforming

Loc: in the mountains, awaitin...
    #1082067 - 11/24/02 03:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have serious doubts as to whether or not ADHD exists or not. Whether or not it's a real disorder, it's without a doubt become a catch-all for problem children. Here's a story about how parents who don't want their children on ritalin are child abusers. I think that every few years a bunch of doctors come together to revise and update the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM), the bible for psychiatry. They decide which disorders to include and which disorders to omit based upon public opinion and politics, not any sort of "objective science." Homosexuality was a DSM disorder until 1987 (or so) when they took it out not because of some new breakthrough scientific study but because of all the bad press. That same year they added a new diagnosis to the appendix, something like "Female masochistic disorder" which basically robs domestic violence cases of any sort of social context. Battered wives/girlfriends are now psychologically troubled and must seek treatment for their masochism, rather than treating the aggressor. The DSM committe sits around a big table sipping alcoholic drinks while they go over the substance abuse disorders. The fact that some disorder, like ADHD, is in the DSM means nothing to me. For God's sake they have "superreligiousity" in there for people who care too much about religion.

It's the age-old idea that if you give something a name you don't have to understand it and deal with it. That's my opinion. Check out this article if you have a chance.
-m

--------------------
(the above was deciphered from phi (~1.62) using an advanced alphanumeric conversion algorhythm and should not be perceived as meaningful.)

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1082260 - 11/24/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I've been diagnosed with ADD. Do I think it's real? Yes. Do I think it's a clinical disorder? Well maybe...but there's no proof yet at all for this. Does it require medication? Possibly.

When I'm on ritalin everything becomes easy. I had no idea things could be so easy in life, actually, I had come to accept my difficulties as fact. So ritalin does help...but there's a cost (there always is). When I'm not on ritalin my mind runs a little too quick to pay attention to. Ritalin slows all those thoughts down, so I can pick one out and pay attention to it. But you know what I've learned since starting on ritalin? It's mind-numbing. Yes I can pay attention (hell, I HAVE to pay attention) but I lose the rest of the thoughts in my head. I lose any creativity I have. I become a drone of the education system.

So yes, I think ADD exists...but not as something that requires immediate medical attention (drugs).

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#1082330 - 11/24/02 05:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i have adhd according to the docs so ive done lots of reading about it. if they look at a normal persons brain through every possible test and a ADHD/ADD persons brain they cant notice and differences. the only way to detect ADD is through behavior. it has nothing to do with chemicals in brain or lack or excess of them. thats just bull shit. if you really think it is chemicals in the brain send me one study online that proves that. good luck finding one.

Anonymous

Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: machineelf368]
    #1082905 - 11/24/02 10:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That was thoughtful and very well said.

Most people are unaware of how these 'diseases' are invented.

Cheers,

Edited by Mr_Mushrooms (11/24/02 10:09 PM)

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: ]
    #1082919 - 11/24/02 10:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

What does this have to do with Spirituality, Philosophy or Science?  :confused:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Anonymous

Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: Murex]
    #1082948 - 11/24/02 10:17 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Psychiatry is a science.

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: Murex]
    #1082960 - 11/24/02 10:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yes some of it is due to imbalances in the brain. Also certain areas of the brain get different amounts of usage. We learned all of this in school. Also, we learned ADD and related disorders are the most over-diagnosed disorders ever. A person with add is one who literally cannot pay attention to anything and is extremely fidgety all the time. This would probably apply to a very small percentage of those diagnosed with ADD, etc. Some of this I already said in the thread wrongly reffered to as a forum by the person who made this post.

Invisiblelowrider
ridin high
    #1083544 - 11/25/02 01:53 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

I would like to see a single case where ADD/etc.. was shown to exist by means other than a psychological evaluation or checklist of symptoms.

It's true that it's overdiagnosed, but ADD is real and you can see it via SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography) imaging of the brain. It's not common procedure yet but there is a big clinic in CA that started diagnosing ADD using SPECT as one of the diagnostic tools and it's starting to catch on.

In reply to:

A person with ADD is one who literally cannot pay attention to anything and is extremely fidgety all the time

This is a very common misperception of what ADD is... this is actually one of the many symptoms of ADHD. ADHD is not just about inability to focus and hyperactivity, not by a long shot. Check out a book or two at the library and you'd be surprised at the information you find. I do agree though that ADD/ADHD is waaay overdiagnosed.

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: lowrider]
    #1083653 - 11/25/02 03:11 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was diognosed with ADD in the fourth grade. I graduated High School and i still don't believe in that bullshit they fed me throughout my minor education. No doubt maybe there are a few casses of really bad ADD and ADHD other then that the doctors only gave the shit to the kids to make there money. It was a bussiness to fuck with the minds of the kids. I disbelieve all what they said about my ADD cause well, i don't have it. They are the money hungery mother fuckers that need to be delt with. Harshly. Lets force feed them the pills to them and there family and lets see how fucked up they turn out. I've read reporst of long term use of Ritallin and Adderal harms the brain. So, let them hurt themselfs, don't tell me i got some fake shit and then make me take this fake pill.

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: GrowingVines]
    #1083654 - 11/25/02 03:15 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I can't lie, I did dislike doing school work and was a "disruptive child". Does that make me have ADD. I guess so if ya live in teh Bible belt like i do.

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

OfflineEarth_Droid
Stranger
    #1083799 - 11/25/02 06:03 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I took the ritalin, I like the speedy effect it gives me lol, as for ADD, I just go along with it. It is quite obvious to me that it is just because I don't find school interesting. But it exists, just like depression, and all the other disorders. You can find a name for almost everything.

InvisibleBuddha5254
addict
Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: Earth_Droid]
    #1084755 - 11/25/02 03:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Ummm, yes the symptoms I listed are the main ones concerning ADD. There are others but those are the main signs

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #1084796 - 11/25/02 03:31 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

First of all, can you tell what these are? I am not into it very much.. And where I live there are no such things. :smile: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA I guess it's something about depressions and stuff..
I have big problems focusing as well. :smile:
BUT while reading about good stuff I am interested in.. i don't loose a word..I guess it's motivation then.. :smile:

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Invisiblexganon
polydrug abuser
Loc: here
    #1085122 - 11/25/02 05:39 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The "ADD is bullshit" meme seems prevalent here. ADD is my excuse to get amphetamine, which I use to treat long-term dissociative use (I need speed to stay somewhat contiguous in the outside world). There's some real ADD there too, I guess.

Ever have a "bored" shroom trip? ADD resembles those. Try eating diph before math class. School's fun with no focus, isn't it? Some kids will have much better lives with that addition of the right dose of speed. And more good drugs around never hurts, does it?

Note that I have in fact taken Ritalin or Adderall for years and have a feel for these drugs.

--------------------
Please remove all dollar signs from my listed contact information

Offlineketamatic
poolshark
Loc: Ohio, USA
    #1090347 - 11/27/02 06:29 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure there are cases of these disorders. However, overpresciprtion is definetly a reality. There was a psychiatrists office on one of the main roads in my town that had a sign out front that read "ADD, Ritalin now!" or something to that effect. This struck me as odd because I was contemplating trying to pull an ADD scam for some ritalin at the time, but never went through with it. Had I done so, that would have been the place I would hit first.

--------------------
"Tyin' off the dinosaur tonight used to be so cool, but now I've got the needle, and I can't shake, but I can't breathe, you take it away, but I want more and more, one day I'm gonna loose the war..."
--Bradley Nowell

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: ADD/ADHD/ADDHDA: LIES? Your Observations [Re: ketamatic]
    #1103238 - 12/02/02 05:13 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I agree that these medicines are overprescribed and that drug companies obviously push the issue to make more money,however, I feel there are definately people who truly have ADD.
If you're a person that believes ADD does not exist in any form, I have a little experiment that could possibly recreate the experience somewhat. Take an anti-psychotic (one the is more selective to certain dopamine receptors in the cortex). If you get the dosage right,and it doesn't knock you out,you will probably have a lot of trouble concentrating and you will feel impulsive.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds