Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Off the top of my head...
    #1083255 - 11/25/02 01:54 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Our culture and the creation of it's money and economical system has eliminated the rough way of survival. What do you think about this? Good, bad? We make our money someway, we buy our food, we pay for our water, we pay the rent, we work, we spend, we work, we spend... Something bad i see from capitalism is that people are creating things just to make money, but of course we all need money to survive. People buy cars for looks, and nobody gives a shit about the way it runs. It is like everything is a fad. How many people are out there striving to create things that actually help us? Do we really need it all anyway? My cheap rotating tooth brush, these over-priced clothes. I am about to spend alot of money on a new faster, better computer. What the hell is wrong with me?  :grin:

Not many people think for themselves, do they? Free-thinking is not permitted in many countries anyway. Nothing is going to stop me though from dreaming of a better tommorow.  :grin:

Just some thoughts.

Peace,
Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Off the top of my head... [Re: Droz]
    #1083335 - 11/25/02 02:18 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

The behaviors you have a problem with are rooted in very basic, primal psychology. The fad cars are a status thing, that's very important to pack animals. The obsession w/ money is a survival instinct, money translates to 'survival tickets' (I've been reading my RAW) so people compulsively hoarde it.

The problem arises because all this primate thinking isn't really applicable in an industrial world, esp. one as plush as the USA. But this is how our brains are wired, these are the first things we learned as individuals and as a species. Hopefully we'll grow out of this someday, it all depends on who gets laid.

Anonymous

Re: Off the top of my head... [Re: Droz]
    #1083395 - 11/25/02 02:38 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Our way of survival has evolved along with civilization. Instead of physical prowess, you need money to survive in this world. Rather than show off with physical strength and endurance as primitive cultures would, we show our "rank" among ourselves by showing off our wealth. There is no way out of it, either. No point in regressing to hunting and bartering, and there is no other economic system that would work on this self-serving planet.

It's only natural that we want beautiful things. Beauty makes our hearts jump and touches our souls. In a perfect world every car would look good. The key is seeing beauty in things that aren't, by our standards. Look at your friend's old rusting Honda Civic and see the beauty of Creation. Look at the dirty, littered streets of your town and see that beauty. Gaze into the mirror and see that beauty.

Over-priced clothes? Gimme gimme gimme. Armani Exchange, French Connection, Gucci. Beauty comes with a price. Can you honestly tell me that expensive clothes are generally not more attractive than Walmart's winter collection? Unfortunate but true. The thing is, you don't have to live that way. Choose your own lifestyle. If you want to buy expensive stuff because it looks good, go for it and don't be ashamed. Just don't do it because of trendy adverts and pompous upper-class douchebags. Think for yourself, always.

Edited by Anonymous (11/25/02 02:39 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Off the top of my head... [Re: ]
    #1083496 - 11/25/02 03:17 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

That was wonderful Max. I refuse to buy things I don't need with money I don't have to impress people I don't like.

Many people polish their car and let their mind rot. The evidences of this are everywhere.

Cheers,

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: Off the top of my head... [Re: ]
    #1083661 - 11/25/02 05:25 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

I can understand polishing your car if you built it from scratch and your proud of your work. Other then that, it is kinda pointless unless you are rich as hell and gotta hella nice car. About the clothings....sometimes, you just gotta look good for the ladies =).

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

Anonymous

Re: Off the top of my head... [Re: GrowingVines]
    #1084593 - 11/25/02 04:10 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

Good point GV. I was focusing on the fact that people let their mind rot more than they were polishing their car. It is good to own good things and it is good to take care of them. It is not good to do these things at the price of intellectual sloth.

Cheers,

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
Re: Off the top of my head... [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1085777 - 11/25/02 11:28 PM (14 years, 11 days ago)

...money translates to 'survival tickets' (I've been reading my RAW)

Ha, im going to try and think of money like that. Thanx :grin: :grin: Nice post too.

What is RAW?

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Off the top of my head... [Re: David_Scape]
    #1085901 - 11/26/02 12:03 AM (14 years, 11 days ago)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology