Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleerikm
Learning
Male

Feelings about Christians?
    #10829897 - 08/09/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So I've seen a lot of people hating on Christians. I often wonder why people are so against them. For me, it's dissapointing to see people on the shroomery call people "hopeless Jesus freaks" or "mindless puppets". While I understand how annoying and obnoxious some Christians can be, I don't think it's right to say there all like that. I come from a family who is very religious. My mother is one of the strongest Christians I know. I told my mother at a young age that I was a non believer. I still say that when she asks, and she's fine with that, she's never pushed religion on me, my brothers, or anyone else. So what do you guys think about Christians? Any particular feelings?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLSDreamer
Materialist
Male

Re: Feelings about Christians? [Re: erikm]
    #10829908 - 08/09/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If you're Christian and haven't read the primary texts (no, modern ibles don't count as primary texts) then you really are very much being a mindless puppet.

--------------------

OfflineUpSwell
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Feelings about Christians? [Re: LSDreamer]
    #10829941 - 08/09/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LSDreamer said:
If you're Christian and haven't read the primary texts (no, modern ibles don't count as primary texts) then you really are very much being a mindless puppet.

Modern bibles aren't the primary texts?  Christianity is a formal religion with a particular canon.  The texts it has chosen are offical and definitive.

'Modern' texts like the NIV are the best translations of the Bible.  Much truer to the original translations than 'old' texts like the KJV, which had a limited English language to translate to.

Stating that someone is defined as a mindless puppet because of textual translation is a meaningless generalization.

Edited by UpSwell (08/09/09 08:54 PM)

Offlinethe bizzle
the joke that no one spoke

Loc: :seriousbusiness:
Re: Feelings about Christians? [Re: LSDreamer]
    #10829944 - 08/09/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I love Christians unconditionally. They don't. That's why

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Invisibleerikm
Learning
Male

Re: Feelings about Christians? [Re: the bizzle]
    #10830004 - 08/09/09 08:58 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the bizzle said:

If they is referring to Christians, then that's a ridiculous generalization. I know many christains who don't, but I know plenty of christians who love everyone regardless of what they believe

Offlinethe bizzle

#10830030 - 08/09/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

but when it comes to the shroomery, perhaps you missed out on a certain poster who quoted the bible in EVERY post, called shrooms an abomination to god even though they brought he and his wife closer together, left the shroomery because he could no longer be "in the counsel of the devil" or wicked, or whatever (not considering that he could have his own personal strength to not be forced to go along with what anybody here says).

I love Jesus, whether he is/was real or not, he's a big inspiration to me. We kick it old school

but when a person wants to see things as they really are, and show compassion all around, accept that there are many interpretations, and then another person comes along and says well you are wrong because He is the only way to Him, and starts misinterpreting bible passages to tell you why you are evil, and shuts out anything that is not STRICTLY Christian (by their own terms of course), lacking any true compassion or understanding themselves, (i.e. the belief that you should HATE everything that is not christian, because therefore it is sin), it becomes a problem

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Edited by the bizzle (08/09/09 09:02 PM)

Offlinethe bizzle

#10830037 - 08/09/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

erikm said:
Quote:

the bizzle said:

If they is referring to Christians, then that's a ridiculous generalization. I know many christains who don't, but I know plenty of christians who love everyone regardless of what they believe

So do I. Don't be like them and take everything so absolutely literally. :tongue2:

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #10830049 - 08/09/09 09:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bill Hicks said:
Some guys came up to me after a show one time and said "Hey buddy!  C'mere!  We're Christians and we don't like what you said tonight."

I said, "Then forgive me."

I have absolutely no problem with those Christians who actually try to be Christ-like.  I count myself among them.  What I have a problem with are those hypocrites who think they can act like assholes all week as long as they go to church on Sunday.

--------------------

Invisibleerikm
Learning
Male

#10830061 - 08/09/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the bizzle said:
but when it comes to the shroomery, perhaps you missed out on a certain poster who quoted the bible in every post, called shrooms an abomination to god even though they brought he and his wife closer together, left the shroomery because he could no longer be "in the counsel of the devil" or wicked, or whatever (not considering that he could have his own personal strength to not be forced to go along with what anybody here says).

I love Jesus, whether he is/was real or not, he's a big inspiration to me. We kick it old school

but when a person wants to see things as they really are, and show compassion all around, accept that there are many interpretations, and then another person comes along and says well you are wrong because He is the only way to Him, and starts misinterpreting bible passages to tell you why you are evil, and shuts out anything that is not STRICTLY Christian (by their own terms of course), lacking any true compassion or understanding themselves, (i.e. the belief that you should HATE everything that is not christian, because therefore it is sin), it becomes a problem

that's understandable, but just because one guy on here is a crazy lunatic, does that mean everyone in that group is the same? I think that's an ignorant thing to think.

OfflinenIkkNAME
This is my Title.
Male

Loc: Tacoma WA
    #10830081 - 08/09/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

erikm said:
Quote:

the bizzle said:

Meh, mot christians despise gay people. Either that or they try and make them go to confessions for being gay. Happened to me once. I almost cussed her out but i was in a slightly good mood x_X

--------------------
I had something in mind to place here.
Too bad i forgot what it was.

Offlinethe bizzle

#10830110 - 08/09/09 09:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

erikm said:
that's understandable, but just because one guy on here is a crazy lunatic, does that mean everyone in that group is the same? I think that's an ignorant thing to think.

you don't know me at all if you think I have the attitude you are implying.

I can live by the code of What Would Jesus Do, and laugh at Jesus freaks at the same time. Do I think all black people want to kill whitey? You are the one making the sweeping generalizations if you think that I do. Please don't imply that I have attitudes or ignorant beliefs that I don't.

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Invisibleerikm
Learning
Male

Re: Feelings about Christians? [Re: nIkkNAME]
    #10830117 - 08/09/09 09:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yea I've been raised in the Christian life style my whole life, and I've seen plenty of people who are the stereotypical hypocrite, assholes. Most Christians do despise homosexuals, but not all :shrug: I personally have been encouraged by my mother to accept all peoples beliefs no matter what, and always love. Idk, I'm not defending christiananity, I just get annoyed when people generalize any belief

InvisibleFractalDust
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
    #10830136 - 08/09/09 09:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

This sums up Christianity pretty well imo.

--------------------

Offlinealternatereality
Explorer
Female

Loc: Washington
    #10830139 - 08/09/09 09:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not against Christians. I'm against close-minded people who try to shove their beliefs down other people's throats.

Which is often associated with radical Christians.

--------------------

Edited by alternatereality (08/09/09 09:16 PM)

Invisibleerikm
Learning
Male

#10830161 - 08/09/09 09:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the bizzle said:
Quote:

erikm said:

you don't know me at all if you think I have the attitude you are implying.

I can live by the code of What Would Jesus Do, and laugh at Jesus freaks at the same time. Do I think all black people want to kill whitey? You are the one making the sweeping generalizations if you think that I do. Please don't imply that I have attitudes or ignorant beliefs that I don't.

I'm not trying to fight with you, and I never said you personally are ignorant. I'm saying believing a group is all the same based of ones actions is ignorant. If you think I'm trying to insult you I apologize, that's not what I'm trying to do

OfflinenIkkNAME
This is my Title.
Male

Loc: Tacoma WA
Re: Feelings about Christians? [Re: alternatereality]
    #10830194 - 08/09/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

erikm said:
Most Christians do despise homosexuals, but not all :shrug: I personally have been encouraged by my mother to accept all peoples beliefs no matter what, and always love. Idk, I'm not defending christiananity, I just get annoyed when people generalize any belief

Ya i know, i have a lot of christian friends, thats why i said most Christians. And if what you say is true, your mom is a good woman.
Quote:

alternatereality said:
I'm not against Christians. I'm against close-minded people who try to shove their beliefs down other people's throats.

Which is often associated with radical Christians.

Agreed.
It pisses me off when some Christian person runs up to me trying to make me join their church when clearly I'm not Christian. Because i will tell them i am not a believer then they'll try and force the damn religion on me!

Or a Christian person find out that i am not Christian and therefore thinks that they absolutely have got to "save" you from yourself -.- or whatever..

--------------------
I had something in mind to place here.
Too bad i forgot what it was.

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
    #10830195 - 08/09/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Some alright, as long as they don't have any power.

Offlinethe bizzle

#10830208 - 08/09/09 09:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

erikm said:
I personally have been encouraged by my mother to accept all peoples beliefs no matter what, and always love. Idk, I'm not defending christiananity, I just get annoyed when people generalize any belief

your mom is commendable

but just so you know, the word "jesus freak" does not generalize a belief, it implies exactly what it says...jesus FREAK...a person that takes it too far, and is usually VERY hypocritical

I've met some wonderful christians in my life, but you know what I've noticed? they hardly ever mention the word jesus. They are just really good people.

a jesus freak on the other hand, washes the dishes for jesus, takes out the trash for jesus, wipes their ass for jesus, scrubs the toilet for jesus, fluffs their pillow for jesus, etc etc, and usually has to let everyone know...for jesus

I don't know who you are saying is generalizing a belief. That idiot kid with the almost 0 rating? nobody took him very seriously

I am a Christian, Pagan, Atheist, Buddhist, Gnostic, etc. There are many things I like about the teachings of Christ, there are a lot of things I don't like about the religion organized around that, but you know what? there are actually some people I know that I ENCOURAGE to go to church, even though it's definitely not the place for me.

Don't be so quick to make assumptions, IF you are, that is

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Offlineusefulidiot13
Dark Passenger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Death From Above
    #10830222 - 08/09/09 09:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i was raised christian, went to catholic school(even tho we weren't catholic:confused:), and live in a very christian-conservative area.

i was 18 when i decided that i didnt believe anymore.

my family was fine with it...in fact i got them to start questioning their own faith and my mom is a much more intelligent person now.  she believes in god, but no longer considers herself christian which is much better IMO.  my aunt is all worried about me, but at least she just keeps it to herself...she is a really serious christian who is also a racist and mean to animals..:rolleyes:

i have nothing against ALL christians, as i know some nice ones.  i just think they are deluded and wrong...im nice to them if they are nice to me tho.

some of them around here are dirty little pieces of shit tho...one of the biggest christian/gospel bands EVER is from my hometown and they are true pieces of shit.  the people that work for them are too.

they are the Gaither's.  terrible music...terrible people.

--------------------
What Would Dexter Do?

Offlinethe bizzle

Re: Feelings about Christians? [Re: usefulidiot13]
    #10830243 - 08/09/09 09:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

by the way, if you read some of the things I quoted in my "lol...another sad jesus freak" thread, and really think about it, you will see that I am expressing dismay at these people COMPLETELY contradicting the teachings of Jesus...hell, you might even become a better christian just by taking a look at what I was criticizing.

--------------------
MY HAIR IS A BIRD 
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag