Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Automated Stealth FC Prototype. Update: Fruit Pictures!
    #10829720 - 08/09/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hello Folks,

I recently birthed one of my PF cakes and I decided to experiment with some of the automated systems featured on these boards.  It really isn't anything special, but it has been working well for the past couple days.  I plan on making some improvements, which I will describe later in the post. 

Pictures speak more than words.  I am going to guess that you can figure out how it works from the pictures.  (And yes I know I only have one cake in the FC for now.  I know it seems ridiculous to have such a set up for one cake.  I will be adding more soon.  I am simply experimenting and would rather not loose all my cakes if it fails.  I actually intend on formatting my setup to function with a monotub.)

Here is the ultrasonic cool mist, at least that is what it is called.  I don't really see how it is both an ultrasonic and a cool mist, because I think it is mostly an ultrasonic.  Anyway...  I have been leaving it on 24/7.

Here is what makes this whole set-up work... the adjustable dial.  You can pump as much or as little mist as you want.  I leave the setting pretty low.  It is VERY easy to over mist.  These ultrasonic humidifiers pump a lot of moisture out.

Here is the water chamber that collects the excess moisture from the ultrasonic.  This part is essential.  It reduces the amount of moisture produced by the sonic AND collects the extra water so it doesn't fill the hoses and cut the mist off.

Cake.  Mmmmm... I like cake.

Pin.

Here is a crappy picture of the volume of mist produced on the ideal setting.  It doesn't take much to keep the RH high.

Here is the fan.  I found this position to be the best.  It draws air over the bulb to cool it and it creates a lower pressure on top of the FC.  This greatly enhances FAE.  Also, it draws air from outside of the tub.  I pointed the fan diagonally across the FC.  This causes the mist inside of the FC to circulate around the cake.  It is pretty nifty.  The fan moves about 35 CFM... I think...  It really is the perfect size.  I still manually fan though.  I don't know if it is necessary. 

Here is the best part... MISTING...  All you have to do to effectively mist is crank up the ultrasonic.  It mists very well.  You should see the air currents created by the fan.  The mist swirls around the cake.  It is very convenient.  I am not sure if this type of misting is even necessary since the ultrasonic essentially pumps on its own.

Light proof stealth lid... 

All sealed up except for the back.  That is where the fan draws the outside air in from.  I have another tub on top that blocks the tiny bit of light coming out the back.  Also, I used two tubs to put everything in in order to block out light.  Trash bags create too much heat and are really annoying.

I plan on making a much better water chamber.  The one I have currently is rather jankity.  I plan on making it so I don't have to use tape to seal it.  I was able to perfectly fit the hose into the lid of the FC.  The hose I used were 5/8" and 3/4"outside diameter.  The 5/8" hose fits perfectly into the ultrasonic; there is no need to seal it with tape or anything.  One last thing.  I added about 1/4 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to the 1 gallon reservoir on the sonic.

Well that is it.  Let me know what else I should improve.

Edited by M11 (08/17/09 02:53 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: M11]
    #10829760 - 08/09/09 08:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Don't leave the electronics in too long, a day or two then pull them out.

Otherwise... you put a lot of work into something that didn't really need it. For that amount of work and equipment and supplies, you could have built a couple of greenhouses. But hey, whatever. :shrug: If it works, super!

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: Doc_T]
    #10829780 - 08/09/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Don't leave the electronics in too long, a day or two then pull them out.

Otherwise... you put a lot of work into something that didn't really need it. For that amount of work and equipment and supplies, you could have built a couple of greenhouses. But hey, whatever. :shrug: If it works, super!

I have an analog.  I just wanted to test it with the electronics too see if my analog is reasonably accurate. 

It really wasn't that much work.  It took about an hour to put the fan, light, ultrasonic, hoses, etc. together.  It was fun so I don't care.  :dancer:

The biggest issue for me is stealth.  I really don't like that stuff sitting in the open... I just don't.  I felt there was really no way to get adequate FAE by putting it into a tub like that unless I fanned 10 times a day.  It is very stealthy too.  No noise.  No light. Maximum RH and FAE and virtually no work besides setting it up.  I can't complain.

OfflineSS32
Stranger

Loc: elsewhere
    #10830083 - 08/09/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Pics aren't working for me.  I'd love to see it.

--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: SS32]
    #10830237 - 08/09/09 09:33 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SS32 said:
Pics aren't working for me.  I'd love to see it.

Seconded.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: radiantthought]
    #10830486 - 08/09/09 10:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Pics fixed?

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    #10830573 - 08/09/09 10:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, it works now, from now on you should upload to the shroomery man. As for your setup, I had an almost identical idea in my head and as such will be watching this very carfully.

A few questions for clarification:

Is the larger tub completely sealed or did you make vent holes?
I can't tell from your pic the exact positioning of your light/fan, are they on TOP of the FC?
Is the fan blowing air into or out of the FC?
Do you have the fan/coolmist running 24/7 or are they on timers or what?

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: radiantthought]
    #10830666 - 08/09/09 10:40 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

radiantthought said:
Yes, it works now, from now on you should upload to the shroomery man. As for your setup, I had an almost identical idea in my head and as such will be watching this very carfully.

A few questions for clarification:

Is the larger tub completely sealed or did you make vent holes?
I can't tell from your pic the exact positioning of your light/fan, are they on TOP of the FC?
Is the fan blowing air into or out of the FC?
Do you have the fan/coolmist running 24/7 or are they on timers or what?

The larger tub is indeed completely sealed.  You could make vent holes if you wanted.  That may even work better.  I actually have two larger tubs, one is in the other.  Two tubs block the light better.

The fan and light are on top of the FC.

The fan is drawing air into the FC.  It is directing the air flow across the top of the FC and across the shotgun holes.  This creates a lower pressure on top of the FC, which forces air in through the sides. 

The cool mist is running 24/7 currently.  I am debating on whether to run it on a schedule.  It works great as it is, but I am a little concerned about the cool mists durability considering I am running it 24/7.  Running the cool mist on the lowers settings lets one gallon go a long ways.  I will guess it could last 3-4 days maybe?

I just checked again.  RH 99% without fail.  And no moisture is pooling on the foil, so I am not over saturating the FC.
-----------------------
The idea behind my setup is to have constant moisture and constant FAE circulating.  They kinda balance each other out.  You just have to find the right setting on the cool mist so you don't over saturate the FC, but don't let it dry out with too much FAE.  It works quite nicely.

OfflineMrlowerfrenum
LOST
Male User Gallery

#10831193 - 08/10/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

sorry just wanted to chime in .. the ultrasonic is nice but you have to watch out if you are using it for misting because water will build up inside our box. the fog condenses and falls to the bottom.

sorry if some one has already mentioned that not paying attention scanning threads before i head to bed

--------------------

NAMES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO PROTECT THE STUPID
************************************************************************All posts are a recreation of information found on the web and is for entertainment purposes only.

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: Mrlowerfrenum]
    #10835830 - 08/10/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HBcubs said:
sorry just wanted to chime in .. the ultrasonic is nice but you have to watch out if you are using it for misting because water will build up inside our box. the fog condenses and falls to the bottom.

sorry if some one has already mentioned that not paying attention scanning threads before i head to bed

I haven't had any issues with water pooling in the bottom of the tub.  The excess moisture chamber, or whatever you want to call it, manages to keep everything pretty dry.  I have at least 6-7 pins forming already.  It has been two days.  :dancer:

OfflineMrlowerfrenum
LOST
Male User Gallery

#10836454 - 08/10/09 10:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ill have to try that

--------------------

************************************************************************All posts are a recreation of information found on the web and is for entertainment purposes only.

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: Mrlowerfrenum]
    #10839538 - 08/11/09 01:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Here are the pins.  The tops look a little dark to me.  Although, it seems like they may abort, they have been growing pretty well over the past 24 hours.  We will have to see.  The automated system has been working pretty well thus far in terms of RH and FAE.  We will have to see if she can actually pull off some fruits.  I only have about 7 pins or so on this cake currently.  I was expecting more, unless this seems reasonable for a cake.  The pins looks nice and fat so far.  Time will tell.

Would you guys agree that those pins looks prone to aborting? 

Edited by M11 (08/11/09 02:09 PM)

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10846870 - 08/12/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Update

The pins are doing very well.  The bulbous one is getting so FAT.  It is such a chubby fruit.  As a matter of fact, all of the pins/fruits are pretty chubby.  The caps aren't opening prematurely, so that is always encouraging.  There are about 9 or so pins/fruits on the cake now.  They are making noticeable daily progress.  I can even see more spots where pins will be forming for the second flush.  If all continues to go well and not too many abort, I am maybe guessing 2-3 grams dry off of this flush.  But you can never count your harvest before hand.  Also, in the pictures above, the caps look rather grey, which seems like they might abort.  I noticed this was just a little mist on them.  They have nice dark brown caps.

I have a few questions though.

1.  What causes fat fruits?  Is it all genetics or are there other factors?

2.  Are 9 or so pins reasonable for a cake? 

3.  If they pins are making decent daily progress, does this mean that they are less likely to abort?

4.  One of my pins is kinda pointing downward.  As it grows, will this pin turn upward towards the light?

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10876424 - 08/17/09 02:57 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Here are the fruit pictures.  Yes, I know that there are spores everywhere.  I was gone for three days and they opened before I could get back.  Also, I was an idiot one night and I knocked off my largest pin.  I ate it, but it was nothing.  There are 4 fruits on that cake, 3 of which are massive.  The caps are larger in diameter than the cake itself. 

Well, my automated system worked I guess.  The results could have been much better if I would have been around the past few days.  But you do what you got to do.

I will post the wet weight shortly.

+5 for whoever guess the wet yield accurately.

OfflineUpSwell
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10876464 - 08/17/09 03:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Those have to be the three most-cared-for mushrooms I've seen in a while.

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: UpSwell]
    #10876470 - 08/17/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think they kinda look shitty from all of the spores all over them, but I can't complain.  If I can leave for three days and come back to this, the automated system works like a charm.

Oh and yes.  They have been very well cared for.  That entire setup was just an experiment.  I will have to explore automation with monotubs.

Edited by M11 (08/17/09 03:13 PM)

InvisibleDragonaut

#10876579 - 08/17/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

what strain?

--------------------
:dragon:

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. [Re: Dragonaut]
    #10876600 - 08/17/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Golden Teacher.

Does that seem like a reasonable first flush from a single PF cake?

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10886619 - 08/18/09 11:06 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

36 grams wet was the first flush harvest weight.  I plucked a side pin from my monotub so I had 40 total grams last night.  My buddy and I each took 20 grams wet and it was an incredible trip.  Those GTs were very potent; the trip lasted for about 5-6 hours.  It was such a clear, clean trip too.  I felt absolutely no awkward comedown; it was just a gradual coast.  It was probably the best trip I have had so far.  Taking shrooms fresh off the cake is ideal.

:psychsplit:

OfflineMrlowerfrenum
LOST
Male User Gallery

#10886747 - 08/18/09 11:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

m11 im trying out your moister catcher but i used a seal-able plastic container so i can just open it to emtpy

--------------------

Offlinejhot369
~
 User Gallery

Re: Automated Stealth FC Prototype. Update: Fruit Pictures! [Re: M11] * 1
    #11479352 - 11/18/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

very nice man i like that set up.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate