Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelutherman13
Male

Loc: Outside of Pitt, Pennsylv...
Newbie questions for the experts!
    #10826765 - 08/09/09 09:16 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

First post, hi :P Hoping I didn't put this in the wrong section.

Newbie questions for the experts!

I've been browsing these forums for months, collecting knowledge of this awesome hobby. I've always been fascinated with the idea of "expanding one's mind." It is even more amazing to me that cultivating mushrooms, whether they are psychedelic, medicinal, or even edible (I love me some Oysters) is so simple (Sort of :P). I figured I'd humbly ask the most knowledgeable dudes on the subject :P. So here's my questions.

I'm cultivating a 65/30/5 coir/verm/oyster (rough guess since I can't remember the ratios I used) casing of cubes (PE). It's a small one, about 1.7" deep rye substrate in a 5.5" x 5.5" container. I have a martha setup ready to go in another room, but as this first grow is a test grow (don't want to expend all my resources)I'm going small. Therefore, I'm going to use a shotgun terrarium, or a variant thereof if beneficial. I live in Southwest Pennsylvania, and the average RH around here for this month is about 55%. The room in which I am cultivating is about 12'x 10'. The RH is usually a few percent below outside RH. If I run a Vicks CoolMist v400 24/7 in this room I'm sure it'll bring the humidity up much higher. In your expert opinions, do you think that this humidifier would suffice in terms of raising RH enough to allow the lid of the shotgun terrarium to be left off? If not, would an increased number of holes keep the RH high enough while still allowing maximum FAE? Also, would the addition of the moist perlite be beneficial, or would it cause over-saturation with the current level of humidity in the room? And one more question. If the door is kept closed, windows closed, and a small fan running to circulate the air around the room and cool it just a little, would it become stale and rich in CO2 byproduct or would there be an adequate amount of FAE? If not, would a small crack in the door resolve this problem? FAE is most important to me.

Thanks in advance for all the help. Sorry to be a hassle!

Peace, a fellow new Shroomerite

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetajmahal420
Stranger than some....

Re: Newbie questions for the experts! [Re: lutherman13]
    #10826776 - 08/09/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If you're doing a shotgun, don't bother with the coolmist.  Leave the lid on, it'll keep a high RH.  No need to humidify the entire room, you'll just be creating an environment that encourages molds to grow, especially if the room has drywall, carpet, etc.  Better safe than sick.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Newbie questions for the experts! [Re: lutherman13]
    #10826787 - 08/09/09 09:23 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If you follow the shotgun tek it should work fine.

Don't leave the lid off

Do use perlite

Don't worry about the air getting stale, the room is not airtight, and I am sure that you will be walking in and out enough to refresh the freshness of the air.

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinelutherman13
Male

Loc: Outside of Pitt, Pennsylv...
Re: Newbie questions for the experts! [Re: george castanza]
    #10826832 - 08/09/09 09:37 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys :P More replies are also welcome too. I'll go with the standard shotgun, and if I need to improve the FAE ill just drill more holes ^_^ According to RR, if the ambient RH in the room is above 50%, the shotgun terrarium is a pretty good choice. Thanks all.

P.S. I'll be posting on these forums from now on. So I hope to be welcomed into the community haha. I'll try to keep my posts mature and educated.

Edit: Instead of making a new thread, I'll just post my question in here. Hopefully rhis topic doesn't get buried by many other new ones.

So here's the questions. How does a shotgun terrarium prevent dripping from the terrarium lid? Or does the humidity not get high enough to cause condensation but still stay high enough to fruit? Also, if holes are drilled in the bottom of the terrarium (under the perlite) won't at least a little bit of water drain? Maybe I should put in a drip tray.

--------------------

Edited by lutherman13 (08/09/09 11:35 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates