Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleEmbracingShadows
Deaf
 User Gallery
Marsh Skullcap (Scutellaria Galericulata)
    #10781002 - 08/01/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm... I'm a wee bit confused... I gathered some Marsh Skullcap and can't seem to find any definitive resources as to if it has the same chemicals as Common Skullcap... From what i've read and learned it does... I'm pretty sure. Is there anyone with enough Botanical/Ethnobotanical expertise to clarify this??

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Marsh Skullcap (Scutellaria Galericulata) [Re: EmbracingShadows]
    #10785227 - 08/02/09 11:31 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

All the plants in the Scutellaria genus have similar alkaloid profiles, with the ratio of chemicals differing between each.  lateriflora and galericulata can be used in the same way, but don't expect anything too profound.  Likely a mild buzz followed by a slight dullness or confusion.  Supposedly there is a desert species in the genus that's comparable to good weed. I have my doubts, but I've never come across any so I can't say for certain.  Be forewarned, if you go the smoking route, the smoke is very harsh.

Do you have any pictures of the plant itself, either harvested or growing in it's natural habitat? I'd love to see if you do.

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Deaf
 User Gallery
Re: Marsh Skullcap (Scutellaria Galericulata) [Re: Horticulture]
    #10786814 - 08/02/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ah, thank you. I figured as much. Ya, i'll be adding this to my Kinnikinnick blend... I'm using it as a catalyst for the cannabis I will add on some occasions. Not looking for it's effects specifically so i'm not expecting to much, just a helping hand.

Ya... 3 of the herbs i'm adding to the mix are a bit astringent so i'm adding a bit of mullein to sooth the throat and add more body, I'm also thinking about adding a tad bit of Althea officinalis to counteract the harshness of this blend...

Well shit... I would have some pictures if I were a little nicer to my cameras when I bring them on my journeys... I've literally broken 3 cameras this year... and it drives me nuts because I'm really into photography... I'm looking at the pictures on google and they just don't do it justice... the flowers on the plant in my region vary from pinks to blues (The blues I have not seen yet) and are similar looking to nettles, one could easily mistake it for stinging nettle before this variety of skullcap reaches it's flowering stage. It's leaves have an unpleasent odor when rubbed. (I don't think it to be unpleasant but most do..)

I'm going to be harvesting some more here soon and perhaps my buddy can take a few snapshots of the plant I can share with you.

Thanks again!

Deaf
 User Gallery
Re: Marsh Skullcap (Scutellaria Galericulata) [Re: Horticulture]
    #10826329 - 08/09/09 04:43 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Alright... here are some photos... it was pitch black when I took these... I was fumbling through the dark blind even with my adapted night vision skills.. These are the few good ones out of like the 30 I took!

The orange things in the background are Jewelweed flowers.

to give you an idea of what this habitat is like...

This species of skullcap grows in marshy areas (Marsh skullcap.)
You can see a little Equesetum fluviatile (Swamp Horsetail) in the back ground as well.
The grass is Reed Canary (Phalaris arundinacea)
This patch of Marsh Skullcap was growing along a hillside/stream bed, surrounded by Bigleaf Maples, Red Alders, Pacific Willows and Black Cottonwoods. Very moist.

And with a side note irrelevant to the flora, the place where I took these pictures was a trail used by the Chinook natives who lived here, and in the little caves on this hillside they would lay their dead and hang offerings. When the white people came through they used this path to reach the top of the steep cliff. This was literally where people considered their journey at it's end on the oregon trail being all the hardest shit was done. Stupid white settlers anyway. :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds