Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemimosa
Stranger
Mimosa hostilis cultivation thread
    #10821273 - 08/08/09 04:27 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hi MH people and everyone else!

I am in desperate need of help/information! I will make one final attempt to grow Mimosa hostilis and I will not give up before I succeed. I will document my failures and success in this thread.

I got some seeds from the net a few years ago and hopefully the seeds are still viable.

Now, I have read that MH is a bacteria fixating plant. I have found this product called "Fix -N- Grow Granular Legume Inoculant". Do you think this will go along fine withe Mimosa hostilis?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Mimosa hostilis cultivation thread [Re: mimosa]
    #10821772 - 08/08/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The seeds are most likely lacking in viability if you got them years ago.

--------------------

OfflineHorticulture
Mycocurious
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #10821923 - 08/08/09 10:20 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

They're a tough seed. You might get some viability out of them still, but it will be low.  Be sure to sow the seeds shallow. In my experience, they are whores for soil temperature.  As far as using any products that put bacteria/mycorhizzae in the soil, it has been my experience that these products are bad for seedlings, and should only be used for potting mixes with established plants.  You have to remember that soil organisms break down organic matter. That includes seeds, and weak seedlings that do not have developed immune systems.  At any rate, hostilis will develop root nodules on its own, with or without extra bacteria.

--------------------
The Plant Mage Guild

Offlinemimosa
Stranger
Re: Mimosa hostilis cultivation thread [Re: Horticulture]
    #10822727 - 08/08/09 01:13 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Okidoki, I read something about putting some around the seeds before planting them so thanks for the warning on putting bacteria in the soil to early.

Is it sure that the MH will produce root nodules even if I do not provide them with the bacteria artificially? I was thinking that the bacteria had to come from somewhere since they are not produced by the plant itself. But perhaps this kind of bacteria is ubiquitous?

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #10822955 - 08/08/09 02:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

They say plant a Pea or other Legume in with the MH. I tried that but I had others without and they did just as well.  I grew mine for about 3 years before they got to big to bring indoors for the winter.

Offlineplainswalker
Plant Shepherd
Male
Re: Mimosa hostilis cultivation thread [Re: cpw1971]
    #10822984 - 08/08/09 02:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Mimosa hostilis has grown very easily for me needing no inoculant.

--------------------
tradelist

Offlinemimosa
Stranger
Re: Mimosa hostilis cultivation thread [Re: plainswalker]
    #10823398 - 08/08/09 03:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Great to get this input. Then I will try without inoculation.

I have germinated seeds earlier with much success, but eventually the seedlings wilted and died. I do not remember what I did wrong, but this around I will do something like this: Indoors, in a pot under florescence.

Searching the net I have found that some people use humidity domes and some does not. I guess I will try without a humidity dome, since that is easier. I am however thinking that I should protect the plant from the heat from the lamp, using a sheet of glass.

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Mimosa hostilis cultivation thread [Re: plainswalker]
    #10824332 - 08/08/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

plainswalker said:
Mimosa hostilis has grown very easily for me needing no inoculant.

Agreed. Bring water to a boil, pour into a mug, add seeds, and wait 6hrs - overnight. Sow in jiffy cubes. Simple. I get near 100% germ every single time. Same goes for Acacia.

No humidity dome needed. Just keep the cubes moist.

EG

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag