Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Any Music Teachers Or Home Studio Producers?
    #10798122 - 08/04/09 11:52 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Just thought I'd ask if there's anyone around the Shroomery that's making some cash on the side giving music lessons, or using their equipment to do some production work for others.... I'm just curious to hear any stories or information on these things... How much do you charge, are there a lot of people looking for that kind of work in your area, stuff like that. :smile:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelibertaire
liberator
Male

Re: Any Music Teachers Or Home Studio Producers? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #10800615 - 08/04/09 06:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not currently a music teacher, but it is one of my ambitions, both in schools and freelance.  I have some friends who are currently freelancing, so I could ask them your questions if you'd like.  I know that my one friend who plays and teaches bass used to work for a music store giving lessons and he charged $40 an hour, but then quit and (illegally) took one of his clients with him and is now charging him $30 an hour.  As far as the amount of people looking for this kind of work, I guess it depends on what instrument you play.  I personally play trombone, so I know it will be easier for me to get work in the sense that there's not as many people who play, and thus teach trombone as there are who teach/play an instrument like guitar, but it also makes it difficult in this same sense since there's fewer people to teach.  So I guess it really depends.  Hope this helped in some way.  I'll ask my friend and see what he says.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Any Music Teachers Or Home Studio Producers? [Re: libertaire]
    #10810191 - 08/06/09 08:42 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, thanks for the input. Also, bump! :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblekoraks
    #10812080 - 08/06/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I'm in NL, so probably things work quite differently in the US. Also, I'm not a music teacher myself, but I've been around quite a few and can tell a thing or two that may be of interest, although perhaps not always relevant for you.

So, from what kind of experience am I telling you this? Firstly, I've played the violin for over 20 years. Coincidentally, I wrote something about that in the practice/motivation thread a few minutes ago. I've had weekly lessons for over 12 years from teachers in private settings as well as in the setting of dedicated schools. I abandoned the ambition of a professional career as a violinist, but the option has always remained open for me to pursue that direction, although it doesn't seem like a likely option anymore now that I've settled for another career. I also have a close member in our family who has been director of arts-education institutes for more than ten years. He's a musician. Thirdly, I have of course enjoyed music classes in school and coincidentally, I know a few (former) music teachers at schools.

So how does it work around here? Most of what I'm going to tell you applies to education for children and young adults, although with some differences (mainly regarding pricing and government funding) it is applicable to adults in The Netherlands as well.

Basically, there are four means of getting music education in this country:
- through normal schools; obligatory for all students to some extent
- through dedicated music schools or educational institutes for the arts (dunno if there's a proper English word for them); optional for all citizens
- through private teachers
- through higher educational schools (Bachelor-degree); optional if you have a thorough basic education in your instrument of choice
Let's walk through them, to see how they work (this is gonna be a long story, but I like to write. Hope you like to read as well :wink:)

Normal school system
Students both in primary and secondary education (the latter is roughly comparable with high school, ages 12-16/17/18 (depending on education level)) usually have weekly and in some schools more frequent music classes. 1 hour a week is common. The scope includes basic music practice (simple instruments and singing, often including some form of acting in the form of performing musicals) and some theory from age 12 onwards (listening exercises, reading sheet music, basic orchestration). Funding is part of the school system and comes at no extra cost for parents. From a certain age onwards (used to be 15-16, a bit earlier now I suppose), music education becomes optional. Until 12, it is compulsory, but basic.

Decicated music schools
Usually, these schools offer all sorts of art education, ranging from a basic to an advanced level (although not sufficient for a degree). This is optional, but for individuals up to 18 years old some government funding is provided. Funding occurs through local government (municipality) and rates (and compensation for parents) are set by the local government, which usually consults the educational institution for this as well, or directly by the school, which is partly funded by the local government. Municipalities receive their funds from higher authorities and are ultimately paid for through by national income taxes. Parents pay a relatively small fee. In my town, this is somewhere around $ 450-600 annual fee, depending on age and education level required (basic or advanced). This is for bi-weekly half-hour lessons, but often, weekly lessons are offered. This comes down to a parent fee of $ 20-30 per lesson, or about $ 50 per hour. This may sound like much, but life is relatively expensive here and overhead is high. Students learn to play their instrument and also learn theory from a basic to an advanced level with periodic exams. There are also, usually yearly, playing exams. For adults, there are no exams, theoretical education is optional and government funding is lower or absent. Rates are somewhere around $ 70 per hour.
Teachers are mostly part-time employed, but enjoy a fixed salary depending on the number of hours they are contracted for. Social security is good, similar to other educational jobs and most government jobs. Some teachers teach at several institutions and some also perform as professional musicians. All have received professional education and nearly all have a degree in their art. Wages, I estimate, start at somewhere about $ 2500 and may range up to perhaps $ 5000 for more senior teachers (both for full time employment).

Private teachers
The teachers are often the same as those mentioned above, but anyone can call themselves a music teacher and start a business. Hence, some private teachers do not have the education that their more professional colleagues have enjoyed. Quality varies a bit, but some teachers will have the sense to recommend a better teacher if a student grows beyond their teaching capabilities. Payment is directly to the teacher and no government funding is available. Rates vary a lot, but something around $ 50 per hour is normal for a decent teachers, while some less experienced or professional teachers may start at half that price. It's mostly just economics, a matter of supply and demand. Of course, everything is optional, including theory education. Exams and related certification for students are formally not possible through private teachers.
Depending on how teachers settle their business with the authorities, they can either operate as legal entrepreneurs, or they can choose to pay no taxes and hope no-one finds out. With the very decent social securities system we have here also for the 'formally unemployed', you can imagine how many private teachers actually pay their taxes.

Higher education
You want to become a pro, or otherwise you wouldn't be here. And you are an established and relatively highly esteemed pro if you teach here. Education occurs as usual higher education, but for the subject matter. Students have an advanced education in their instrument and they have passed auditions for this education. They are required to study their instruments as well as an additional instrument, in which they must demonstrate basic competence. Theoretical education is intensive and include subjects such as composition, solfège, history of music and regular music thoery up to  highly advanced levels.
Teachers are employed as in lower forms of institutionalized education, but receive higher wages, but of course face higher requirements. Many, if not all, perform regularly as professional musicians throughout most of their careers. Wages are quite good, I suppose they range from $3000 upwards for full-time employment.

All in all, musical teachers typically draw their income from several sources here, although some will work full time for one employer. These are a minority, however, especially if they don't do some sort of organizational work next to their teaching. Entry in the market is easy, although it may be difficult to go from zero to a full income in a short period of time for any type of employment.

Hope this inspires some relevant questions or considerations for your locality :thumbup:

Invisiblepolantis
Prototype v7.3 Alpha
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austraalis Flag
Re: Any Music Teachers Or Home Studio Producers? [Re: koraks]
    #10815436 - 08/07/09 12:48 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I charge what I think I'm worth.

--------------------
We do not know what we want and yet we are responsible for what we are - that is the fact.
Jean-Paul Sartre

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Any Music Teachers Or Home Studio Producers? [Re: polantis]
    #10816821 - 08/07/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the in-depth reply, koraks. Everything you said makes sense and fits quite well what suspicions I had already.
On a side note, I'm personally more interested in the private teaching industry. I guess the only question I would have for you is do you have any recordings of your violin skills for us to listen to? :smile:

Quote:

polantis said:
I charge what I think I'm worth.

Well, then, what do you think you are worth? :grin:
How many people are you teaching, and how many hours a week do you put in? What are you teaching, guitar? How do you approach teaching?

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblekoraks
    #10817633 - 08/07/09 01:19 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hehe, recordings...well, to the best of my knowledge, there is only one recording of me playing solo and that was made way back when I was 6 and is not entirely representative of my current skills :wink: This recording is not in my possession btw and I've lost contact with the people who should have it.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#10818696 - 08/07/09 04:15 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well, you better find a damn microphone, because you can't play violin for twenty years and not hook us up with some of those sweet, sweet sounds. :nut:

On a related matter, how much would you charge for some of your time over the net for some session work? :smirk: Violins. :drooling:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblekoraks
    #10818716 - 08/07/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You send it to me, I'll play it. Just hit me with your stuff and I'll see if I can make something of it. Send me a pm if you got something. Let's see how it goes and then discuss any payment plans, sounds good? :thumbup:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#10818988 - 08/07/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I admit that my mind was a bit into the future, but the idea really intrigued me. :grin:
I'm definitely interested in touching base with you on this though, I'm thinking about in the range of about six months from now. :thumbup:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblekoraks
    #10821247 - 08/08/09 03:51 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Just let me know. I have times that I'm not on the Shroomery much, but if you pm me, I will get reply sooner or later :thumbup:

Invisiblekoraks
    #10821248 - 08/08/09 03:51 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Just let me know. I have times that I'm not on the Shroomery much, but if you pm me, I will reply sooner or later :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies