Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Something i was thinking about..
    #1076998 - 11/22/02 01:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking earlier about food, ways to grow it, and do it self-sufficently. Then i started thinking about bio-domes and such. Now just imagine if we created a bio-dome for people like us where we could be self-sufficent, spend our days learning and discusing philosophy with eachother, be ourselves, live together in a peaceful community, and anything else you would all like to do. We could have anything we wanted in this bio-dome.

Just imagine...

Of course there would still be problems. Just hope if i was living in a community like this we all knew how to handle our problems. Let's just pretend we were trying to create our own little utopia inside this thing.

Wouldn't it be great?

Anyone have any information on bio/eco domes? Any books you have read about them? Or about trying to create your own self-sufficent enviroment? I am very interested in this stuff right now. I hope you guys can help me in a good direction on this one.

Would anyone else be interested in doing this stuff?

Peace,
Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: Droz]
    #1077566 - 11/22/02 05:58 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with you! I was just thinking these things myself.... It's looking like that is what it's going to come down to in my instance; this incarnation requires a seperation from "mainstream" society. Now, if I can't find like-minds to live with, I will resort to living by myself somewhere rural.

I'd like to hear anyone else's ideas about "communal living".

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: Adamist]
    #1077581 - 11/22/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

leary was all into it. form different social roles, share tasks, raise children as a large group/family. i read another book called Escatacy Club where these kids get a warehouse in San fran and throw raves and between them they live in the warehouse as a kinda family. i think its a damn good idea...maybe a private island would work.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

OfflineGoBlue!
Tool Rules - DBK

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
    #1077593 - 11/22/02 06:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think it's a great idea!  But why trap yourself in a biodome???  I think a bunch of people with similar ideas could just form their own little country somewhere, and you'd have a similar effect.  Don't you think?  If only the existing countries would be willing to give up a small piece of land for this type of thing...  :smirk: 

--------------------
:smile:  Just stating my thoughts, not trying to offend  :smile:

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: GoBlue!]
    #1077599 - 11/22/02 06:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

LOL

They wouldn't give us shit unless we had a) alot of money, or b) big guns.

--------------------

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1077635 - 11/22/02 06:25 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You'd have to do some major community tripping and bonding or else people would start isolating themselves and problems would evolve

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1078706 - 11/23/02 02:39 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds a bit expensive

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: Grav]
    #1079026 - 11/23/02 08:49 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was thinking more along the lines of living in harmony with people you already know you can get along with... There could be seperate tribe/families, which wouldn't live together all the time in the same place, but would work together as a society.

Something is pushing me to do this... I'm not going to let myself be eaten by the system of despisable 9 - 5 jobs. :wink: 

--------------------

OfflineLOPHO.MP
looker

Loc: Santa Cruz CA.
    #1079378 - 11/23/02 12:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think this is a very interesting idea. I also think that if the group was big it would be very hard. The smaller the group the easier it would be to solve the different social problems that would arrive.

Remember when thinking about these things do NOT underestimate the difficulty of providing for your own survival.
It is NOT easy to start from scratch producing or hunting enough food to live on, no matter where in the world.
Of course there have been and still are several societies where they DO live on a subsistence level, but these cultures have been living in the same environment for a long time and therefore have developed strategies to survive.

I guarantee that if you took 3 or 10 or however many people from the Shroomery and put them somewhere even starting off with a lot of supplies they would not be able to make a self sufficient community. Well maybe there would be a miniscule chance.
But the main thing I want to emphasize; This shit is not like in the movies! Providing all your needs from the land if you were not raised in a hunter gatherer society is not easy.

I think people need to start researching ways to live self sufficiently so that this kind of community CAN be set up. It IS possible in my opinion.

--------------------
---Still Searching---

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: LOPHO.MP]
    #1079428 - 11/23/02 01:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The very fact that you have a clear comprehension of the difficulties involved in such an endeavour, yet also entertain the notion that it is indeed possible augers well....maybe one day :smile: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1079920 - 11/23/02 05:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It would be nice to create such a community, but think of the major training modern day humans would need. I'm thinking basketweaving, hunting techniques, agriculture, smithing, pottery, herbalism, bow/spearcrafting, etc. Not everyone would need to know it all, but at least one person should know at least one in the list I presented.
Another problem is, in the world of today, you'd probably have to buy a really big piece of land beforehand, as a permanent residency for your tribe or clan. You'd probably be looking at an age of close to thirty before you can even start your utopia. Then you probably have about ten to fifteen years left to live (because hunter-gatherers don't live long), if you survive draughts and famine - not to mention disease.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1079931 - 11/23/02 05:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds pretty expensive. Let me know if you get some investors interested and then I'd definitely devote everything I've got to this sort of cause.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: Strumpling]
    #1080025 - 11/23/02 06:45 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

We could just find a nice patch of temperate forest and squat there. We could have a bunch of inexpensive greenhouses for the biodome part.

I don't know much about hunting/agriculture, so I'll just be pauley shore.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1080043 - 11/23/02 06:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i still want to go to college, but fuck the space monkey society. if i become an architect i could design us some cool shit :smile: .  EFFICIENT houses, no energy maybe? or solar screens for the little that we need. design systems so they revolve around nature instead of purging it, destroying it, melding it. Why go primative when we could go advanced? but cheaper healthier Smarter! would be quite interesting. ive got plenty of ideas. :laugh:

--------------------
What?

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1081990 - 11/24/02 02:50 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Good point, Zero. Why go primative when we could go advanced? We could have the latest in technologies for producing cheap, safe energy. Wind power and solar are two good options. Another idea just to throw at you, all food waste that would be good for compost goes into one. We can teach eachother what we know about everything. Two other options. Fresh water or from the pipe. If we were located near a nice flowing river perhaps. We could create a water type system to either collect by machine or we could get down and dirty and do it the hard way.  :grin: Also we do not neccesarily have to be completely self-sufficent. But if we plan to buy things from the outside world we must create things to sell to the outside world. Many ways you can go around doing this.

Gotta go for now. I have plenty more ideas to talk about.

Peace,
Droz

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

#1082016 - 11/24/02 03:07 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

But if we plan to buy things from the outside world we must create things to sell to the outside world.

I have a few things in mind....  :wink: 

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: Strumpling]
    #1082038 - 11/24/02 03:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds pretty expensive.

There is cheap land available Strumpling, the only thing is that it's only cheap because it's too arid to be good for anything....either that or it's too far away from any commrcial centres to be realistically accessable. i'm not trying to piddle on the parade, i've seen a few threads here at the Shroomery which have dealt with similar topical materials.....ultimately i believe there is a LOT more that goes into making a collective project such as this work than meets the eye......just my .02 

i think another nice thing might be to institute some kind of a "time sharing" option for those who wish to partake of the community spirit on a part time basis, as some sort of reprieve from the vigorous demands of "the material world". That way there would be a few people shouldering the monetary load of any one give "property".....say i live there for 2 months, Strumpling another 2, Adamist 2 more.....Murex another 2 etc.......that would greatly reduce the financial load as well as give all of us more diversity of lifestyle......just a thought....my point being that it doesn't have to be an all or nothing situation, although it could be for someone who chose that particular lifestyle as an ongoing thing  :smile:

--------------------

Edited by FreakQlibrium (11/24/02 03:34 PM)

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

#1082073 - 11/24/02 03:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

But if we plan to buy things from the outside world we must create things to sell to the outside world.

Right there Adamist, why not make properties/housing "there" available for rent in the offseason.....when some of us want to go back and experience the decadent ways of inner city life? i'm sure there are people who would pay big bucks to stay at a "retreat" that was already up and functioning.....again, i am coming down from my 3rd ingestion of shrooms within the last 8 daze so do bear that in mind when considering my suggestions  :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Re: Something i was thinking about.. [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1082097 - 11/24/02 03:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In Ram Dass's book "The Only Dance There Is", he mentioned a spiritual "retreat" that he offered to people who wanted to work on themselves in an ideal environment... I will look up some information in a bit.

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

#1082103 - 11/24/02 03:56 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i've read that(the only dance there is) as well as journey to awakening(the meditator's handguide) both very good, and the latter(even though it is somewhat outdated, circa 79) offering the phone #'s and adresses of many such "retreats"......although i believe most of them are ashrams within cosmopolitan cities

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order