Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineKemist
Soul ComponentsPrototype IssueM11983MF50 (x_x)

Loc: The Orgin
meat eaters ... help
    #1073504 - 11/21/02 11:10 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

alright guys .....

been debating with myself if i should either become a vegon or stay a meat eater ... i was a die hard fan of meat till some vegan kid (been arguing on some another forum) brought up many good and valid points ... health, humane, enviromental, and economic points to be exact.

now i do some searches on the web to defend my point and i see shit .... no damn pro meat sites. the few and rare sites i could find were based one "meat good cuz taste good"

isn't that what learnings about ... you find out the truth and the cons outwiegh the pros by a huge margin ... dont you convert at that point.

i love meat and not only meat but the traditional ways of cooking. i felt it was a very important knowledge to prepare meats in the mexican, american, and asian styles. then again war and slavery are traditions too. selfishness in a lesser degree?

well to the point .... i've heared many valid vegan arguments ( dont need anymore) but how bout some support from the meat eaters:

economic
health
etc
etc

thanx in advance

btw

the only thing i could argue back with was this

if you care so much about the earth ... dont have kids, dont buy gas, dont pay taxes, always buy when the markets high (dont want the farmers to hurt now do we), never own or drive a car, don't use elctricity ... etc ect blah blah blah ... no matter how humane or caring you think you are, if you participate in the everday life of society your contributing in some minute or huge way in the suffering of another creature on this green earth, anyways it seems your scared of killing ... whats so bad about death?

--------------------
Rafa (x_X)

fuck a sig

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFrog31337
Stranger

Loc: Midwest, US
Re: meat eaters ... help [Re: Kemist]
    #1073568 - 11/21/02 11:36 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I grew up with the basic meat and potatoes meal every day.  I have since changed my diet to mainly vegetarian.  I say mainly because I still eat meat on occasion.  What some fail to see is the difference between buying meat at the markets and butchering the animals that live on your farm.

I won't eat chicken that wasn't grown on my parents farm.  I know that they weren't feed growth hormones, and I know a great majority of their diet was bugs (range-feed I think they call it).  Health wise?  Know where your food comes from.  I have greatly increased the amount of vegies/fruits I eat, but about every two weeks I do enjoy a nice steak  :grin:

Offlineakyouser_oner
unclefuckerextrordinaire

Loc: standing in the shadows a...
    #1073581 - 11/21/02 11:44 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i'm not gonna get into the whole organic vs. hormone thing, but here's my opinion on eating meat in general. go in to your bathroom. look in the mirror at your teeth. see those pointy ones in the front? they are for ripping flesh. if you were meant to be vegetarian you would have all flat teeth for grinding up food. humans are omnivorous by nature, and i think you should eat balanced meals...

--------------------
-akyouser.oner
<(((((((((((((((@~~~

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
    #1073621 - 11/21/02 11:56 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't see any point in trying to persuade you one way or another. If you enjoy meat as you have stated, what's the problem? Keep enjoying meat. I love meat. I enjoy it as part of a basically balanced diet. No vegan will ever convince me to not eat meat. I enjoy my position at the top of the food chain. Except when swimming in the ocean, or hiking in grizzly country!
You have the freedom to choose how to live your own life so do what makes you happy.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1073699 - 11/21/02 12:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am not opposed to those that wish to pursue a vegetarian lifestyle for health benefits...but there is a pecking order / food chain on this planet...and fortuantely we are at the top of it. There should not be any type of moral dilemma involved...animals are food. Plain and simple.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: meat eaters ... help [Re: Rono]
    #1073734 - 11/21/02 12:38 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well said....

be an omnivore and you'll be alright.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
    #1074507 - 11/21/02 04:22 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Meat eaters don't bother making an argument to eat real food. we don't have to. If people want to waste their time with that vegan nonsense then by all means let them, just so long as we don't have to hear about it. Now please excuse me while I cook up one of the turkeys I shot last weekend.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #1074549 - 11/21/02 04:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am a meat eater. I eat it because it tastes good, and because I have a super high metabolism. If I don't eat meat for a few days, I start to feel weak.

Every pro-vegetarian study that I see rails against Americans for their high meat consumption and directly correlates that to the epidemic of obesity and health problems. Well not all us Americans are fat lazy slobs. I exercise, and have a freakishly high metabolism(I am a skinny 135 pounds and I swear I could eat 4,000 calories a day and still not gain a pound)

I am concerned about the whole meat eating/vegetarian debate. I am truly interested in seeing if it is healthy or unhealthy to have meat in your diet. What we need is a very in depth study that goes on for about 25 years. It needs to have a bunch of participants and study everything from health problems as the people age to immune system strength and physical strength(two of my big concerns if I were to be a vegetarian).

RandalFlagg

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1075996 - 11/22/02 05:20 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If your major concern is nutrition, then I would suggest that you cut back on meat, but not completely eliminate it from your diet.

Meat is an excellent source of B vitamins, plants are not, but you can supplement your diet with them if you do not eat meat.

Alot of people think the problem with a meat free diet is protein. You can get more than enough protein without meat, but you have to eat a balance of all amino acids. Grains and legumes when eaten together supply you with all the amino acids you need. They MUST be eaten together, otherwise the body will not absorb them as protein, but instead convert them to energy.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
    #1076020 - 11/22/02 05:55 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Don't become a vegan..otherwise you might end up like THIS GUY.  :grin: 

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

InvisibleGreat_Cthulhu
enthusiast

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: meat eaters ... help [Re: Rono]
    #1076022 - 11/22/02 05:58 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

My dear lord. I actually agree with Rono on something.  :shocked: 

--------------------
"That is not dead which may eternal lie..and with strange eons even death may die."
Vote Great Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
    #1076032 - 11/22/02 06:13 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I went vegan almost eight years ago, for ethical reasons, and don't have any pangs for meat at all....i think you have to have enough inspiration to begin with to get going with it and stay as such. I don't have the slightest problem with food (what do i eat now?) and definately enjoy eating, believe me. Since you've heard the arguments in favor of it, which i think are pretty solid and hard to really refute logically, I think it's pretty obvious....you could cut things out one at a time, don't need to change completely overnight (i cut out everything except cheese, dairy, and fish at first, and then went completely vegan about a month later, but that's alot for most people to handle so quickly, i think).

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: meat eaters ... help [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1076043 - 11/22/02 06:24 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"It needs to have a bunch of participants and study everything from health problems as the people age to immune system strength and physical strength(two of my big concerns if I were to be a vegetarian)."

I think there's persently a study going on comparing the Atkins diet to Dean Ornish's vegetarian diet, kind of along the lines you've mentioned here. As for me, having been vegan for almost eight years, I rarely get even a sniffle (makes it hard to call out sick; everyone knows I never get ill), and there's simply no impact on strength....if you exercise and lift weights you'll be just as strong. If you've got the ultra fast metabolism, you could just eat more carbs, which you end up doing going veggie anyway just kind of naturally. I really don't pay much attention to my health, to be perfectly honest, in terms of like 'am I getting enough of this and that', and i don't have any problems, so if you actually pay attention and consider what you should get nutritionally I'd think you'd be especially well off. Fuck, i thought going veggie meant I'd just lose weight no problem, but that certainly hasn't happened (kind of a slow metabolism, for sure). And remeber, shrooms are vegan :smile:

OfflineCoolMojo
Imagination iswhat you make ofit
Folding@home Statistics
    #1076060 - 11/22/02 06:38 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I just wanted to point out that the American Heart Association recently concluded reasearch into the Atkinds diet (A diet of mostly meat and very little carbohydrates) It seems that the AHA is finally admiting that meat is good for your heart.
This may come as quite a shock to people that have been jumping on the "health food" band wagon but, your heart is made of protein, more specifically ANIMAL proteins (yes there is a difference in the types of protein, this is why hemp seed is more healthy then soy, it contains a better form of protein) Well if your not getting much of the kind of protein that your heart and most of your body is made of, your body isn't getting the supply of nutrients it needs, thats just common sense, ya can't build a house without building materials.
What the AHA found is that basically the amount of nutrients (vitamins, minerals and proteins) that you eat per the amount of cholesteral you take is lower with meat. Meaning you have to eat less meat to get what you need then foods high in carbohydrates.

That said there is only one dietary rule I have every followed and I wouldn't be surprised if another study comes out next weak bashing the atkinds diet. Lets face it, there is a study that says just about everything. The one rule you should follow is that if you eat the same kinds of things all the time you only get the same nutrients. Eat a VARIED diet consisting of fruits, vegitables, breads, meats, beer (yeah beer) it doesn't really matter just so long as your not eating the same thing over and over again. Try to go 2 weeks without eating the same thing and you'll see just how much you eat the same foods consistantly.

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
    #1076078 - 11/22/02 07:04 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not opposed to meat-eating, but I don't buy the canine teeth argument. I don't buy it because I don't believe we were "designed." Since we evolved eating meat, it's easy to understand why we have meat rippers. I think that those teeth were "selected" way way back when our ancestors were still beasts. We're talking pre-monkey. And even if we all became vegans, those teeth wouldn't go away. (Unless large canines became socially stigmatized, and only guys with nice small legume chompers could get laid.)

I stopped eating meat a few years ago. Despite whatever reasoning I can offer. the bottom line is that I was listening to my conscience. I'm not a strict vegan--sort of like frog (the poster), I just want to know a bit about the meat I'm eating. I don't have a problem with the food chain per se, but for me there is a moral dilemma. For one thing, there's the issue of the environment. How much of the world's grain is grown just to feed livestock? How much land does that take, and pesticides, and water? And we haven't even gotten to the livestock itself yet. They have their own land, their own wastes. It's quite luxurious. We could raise locusts instead.

On top of that, common methods of mass production bring about a lot of suffering. I can't accept "We're omnivorous, period," when there is such a striking difference between taking an animal from the wild, and bringing one into about as miserable as an existence as could be imagined for a creature.

But there's no denying it--meat tastes good. I remember these places in Brazil called "Porcao"--all-you-can-eat meat rodizios. Waiters walking around with all sorts of meat on spits--you want some they slice it off on your plate. Holy shit, decadence never tasted so good.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: meat eaters ... help [Re: CoolMojo]
    #1079033 - 11/23/02 08:53 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

What the AHA found is that basically the amount of nutrients (vitamins, minerals and proteins) that you eat per the amount of cholesteral you take is lower with meat. Meaning you have to eat less meat to get what you need then foods high in carbohydrates.

That's impossible, meat and animal products are the only source of cholesterol. It might be true for saturated fat, but if you don't eat any meat, you have zero dietary cholesterol.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflinePoetFirst
The Risen

#1080834 - 11/24/02 01:12 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You really don't have to worry about the whole taste and cooking thing. If you can butcher an animal to get it, there's a soy variety out there that can take it's place and be healthy too... but then you won't have all those dead animals to be conserned over...

no meat
one year aney on thanksgiving, when I had to clean the bird it was the last straw

--------------------
Stay alert. Trust no one. Keep a laser handy.

Life is suffering. The origin of suffering is egoistic craving and attachment. There is a way to the cessation of suffering. This Way is the Eightfold Path:.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: meat eaters ... help [Re: CoolMojo]
    #1081768 - 11/24/02 01:01 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"I just wanted to point out that the American Heart Association recently concluded reasearch into the Atkinds diet (A diet of mostly meat and very little carbohydrates) It seems that the AHA is finally admiting that meat is good for your heart."

Good for your heart, sure. But the heart is only one organ in the body and only one compenent of a variety of complex systems in your body. Eating nothing but meat may be great for you heart, but if it rots your colon then what good is that??

But, like you said: "Eat a VARIED diet consisting of fruits, vegitables, breads, meats, beer (yeah beer) it doesn't really matter just so long as your not eating the same thing over and over again."

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #1081786 - 11/24/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Being Vegan is WAY to hard to just jump into...

Remember your gona have to give up most beers and liquers because of animal products used in the brewing process.
Youll have to throw out some of your clothes, maybe your favorite belt or favorite pair of shoes? Just try and find a pair of Rockport Hikeing boots that are Vegan safe. And lets not forget your gona have to give up Many of your favorite resturants or only eat salads with plain vegetable oil based dressings... Ooh and NO pizzas, not the way you like them N E way....
The amount of learning Vegans need to do really takes a long time, its almost easier to go Kosher than it is to go Vegan.

I say stick to the dark side, if you want to go vegetarian then thats pretty simple because you can chose to drink milk and cheese pizza and still be politicly correct.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: meat eaters ... help [Re: Viveka]
    #1081796 - 11/24/02 01:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

Good for your heart, sure. But the heart is only one organ in the body and only one compenent of a variety of complex systems in your body. Eating nothing but meat may be great for you heart, but if it rots your colon then what good is that??

Your heart is a muscle and everyone knows that eating meat is good for muscle developement, so it only stands to reason that it makes your heart stronger. Plus meat is well ballanced in the fat department, it has a fair amount of bad fats but its also got a good amount of good fats and stuff that aids in clearing your arteries...

Where people get into trouble is when they eat that big chunk of fat in the middle of their steak or the fat that surrounds it. This stuff is good to cook with but all that stuff that dont disolve with heat is gona stay in your body in the same form as you ate it...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag