Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Hello everyone! I have some questions...
    #1081581 - 11/24/02 01:36 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hello fellow shroomers. I am currently in the midst of my first grow using the PF-Tek. I have some very specific questions regarding substrate prep. and incubation:

I used 1/2 cup Verm, 1/4 BRF, and 1/4 Water for each half-pint jar I have. My question is, this amount of substrate would not fit adequatly into each jar and needed to be patted down. Even when it was tapped down a bit, some would still not fit. Do I need to use this entire amount of substrate for one jar, or should I just mix this amount then put in whatever is needed very loosely?

My second question has to do with incubation. Many of you are constantly checking up on your jars. I assume that you have shone light on them while in the incubation stage? Does this cause any type of delayed colonization? If i'm checking up on my jars how long should the intervals be between each look?

BTW, shroomery.org has been extremely valuable when it comes to information on cultivation. This is my first grow, so naturally I'm trying to absorb every bit of info I see around me. Thanks!

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecheifdog24
enthusiast

Re: Hello everyone! I have some questions... [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1081594 - 11/24/02 01:39 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You shouldn't pack down your substrate, it needs to be "airy". The 1/2 cup verm, 1/4 cup BRF and water is just a ratio, your mileage may vary.

I check my jars about once every 3 days, just to make sure none of them are contaminated.

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Re: Hello everyone! I have some questions... [Re: cheifdog24]
    #1081625 - 11/24/02 01:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Wow......I don't think I've ever gotten a reply so quickly on a forum before.  Thanks  :smile:

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Hello everyone! I have some questions... [Re: cheifdog24]
    #1081628 - 11/24/02 01:45 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

yeah, those measurements worked perfect for me. It would fill up the jars really loosely and then I would tap the bottom of the jar against something and the substrate would compress a little, making enough room for the vermiculite layer on top. Don't pack it in.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation