Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Center of the Room
Fucking Fish tank heater!
    #1080490 - 11/23/02 10:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well i have a fish tank heater inside a tupperware container with water with another tupperware container where my jars are... i followed the directions for the thing, i'm not sure if the water is supposed to feel like hot when you touch it...actually it just feels room temp. i have the heater set for 85 at first when it was set it had a red light that was on, but its no longer on and when you turn the temp up it goes on again, im guessing its to indicate that its heating up and when it reaches desired temp it turns off? well is the water supposed to feel like extra warm?

--------------------
:::::Sincerely Yours, I disown you:::::

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking Fish tank heater! [Re: shroomizzy]
    #1080524 - 11/23/02 10:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hmm... room temp water? warm? hot? hows it supposed to be?

--------------------

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1080592 - 11/23/02 11:03 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn't know cause I haven't set mine up yet, but I don't think you'll notice a huge difference between the water temp and the room temp if the water temp is 85. 85 isn't really hot (at least I don't think it is).

--------------------
ha

Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking Fish tank heater! [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1080654 - 11/23/02 11:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hmmm anyone else?? jesus christ i'm the only one responding

--------------------

Edited by shroomizzy (11/23/02 11:47 PM)

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1080661 - 11/23/02 11:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm- this question sounds familiar.....get a thermometer for 2 or 3 dollars and quit guessing.

Also try this: Unplug heater. Leave it in the waterfor30-60 minutes. Then plug it back in. This resets the internal thermostat. Did I mention you need to get a thermometer????  :tongue: 

OfflineTheGanjaGorilla
Shiitake head

Loc: N.E. Indy
    #1080799 - 11/24/02 12:54 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Shroomizzy, I'm kinda new at this but....
I've using a fish tank heater to keep my little guys warm and cozy. One thing you got to keep in mind about the heating settings is that your tupperware box will lose a little heat through the wall of the box. I've wrapped my box with lots of blankets, and I still had to set the dial on the heater way past the 80 degree mark just to maintain that temp.
Even if you have to "borrow" it for a while, get a thermometer. Place it on a small piece of styrofoam inside your box, and make your best guess for the correct temp.
After an hour or two check the results, and adjust accordingly. Personally, it took me about 4-5 trys to get it just right. After I set my temp correctly, my thermometer always reads 80 degrees. So at that point you can "return" any "borrowed" hardware. Hope this helps brother, good luck.

--------------------
"Whateva I do what I want..." Eric Catman

"Whateva, I do what I want..." Eric Cartman

TheGanjaGorilla.

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1081017 - 11/24/02 02:11 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

dude- chill. the water is supposed to be hot, or heated....u probably let the water level go down too low and the heater burned out. its happened to me plenty of times before. i quit buyin them. i just use the lights for my fruiting chamber to heat my inncubator.

Offlinetwistedweather
ka-blammo

#1081318 - 11/24/02 08:22 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

get a themometer then you will be able to determine the temp in your incubation chamber

if you check the temp alot, heat can also be lost this way.

It also takes a while for the water to reach the correct temp

the above reccomendations from other shroomerites all seem pretty wise!!!

always run a couple of trail runs with the incubator in order to find the ins and outs of maintaining a proper temp

--------------------

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking Fish tank heater! [Re: twistedweather]
    #1081379 - 11/24/02 09:38 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

yeah i just didnt have any money for a thermometer, but today i am going to buy one so i'll know what my temp is. I know i didnt burn the fish heater out cos the end of it i'm guessing where the heating coil or whatever is, is warm. I think i just don't notice a temp change because my room which it is kept is is fucking hot as hell

--------------------

Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

#1082723 - 11/24/02 09:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well so i got a thermometer and it only reads 78... i guess this temp will have to do. Will it take much longer to colonize than if it was at say 85?

--------------------

Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
    #1082731 - 11/24/02 09:21 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

just depends on substrate and other factors like spore strain and how heavy the distribution of spores. but 78 seems fine enuff since it may be a few degrees higher inside jars cuz mycellium will tend to giveoff a lil heat when eating the substr8 up. but look in the faq and theres a graph from TMC that shows the growth of the mycellium in mm per temperature. well heres the post. http://shroomery.org/faq/faq.php?display=faq&nr=33&catnr=3&prog=1&lang=en

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1082741 - 11/24/02 09:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It will take noticably longer, but not that bad. Is the heater turned up all the way?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Re: Fucking Fish tank heater! [Re: Skikid16]
    #1082822 - 11/24/02 09:52 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

hell yeah the temp is up to like 83 now by turning up the temp... i wanna get it to 85 but that would mean turning the temp on the heater up alll the way... would this blow the heater or should it be ok?

--------------------

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1082833 - 11/24/02 09:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Just give it till tomorrow, then turn it up if you really feel the need, But 83 should be around perfect.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order