Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
And the origin of religion is...
    #1079421 - 11/23/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Well, it's not amanita muscaria or psilocybes. Nope, it has something to do with what Jane Goodall (sp) observed: chimpanzees doing dominance displays at approaching thunder storm clouds. The personification of forces of nature. I mean, mushrooms still rock, but spirituality exists independant of them, the same way there were crazy people before LSD (I just feel that every insane person anybody knows is supposedly like that because they "took too much acid." Anybody else notice this trend or are people just acid-fearing here?).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSmack31
Stranger

Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Dogomush]
    #1079860 - 11/23/02 05:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

That was an interesting bit about the chimps, thank you.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1079907 - 11/23/02 05:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

There's no telling where religion came from; but I can say it certainly didn't come from "God."

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Strumpling]
    #1079943 - 11/23/02 05:56 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It could, you know. Suppose the Genesis chapter in the bible is the truth (hypothetically speaking, with all due respect I don't believe that theory myself) and you interpret the reason God created totality as love. He would like his 'children' to love their 'father', so he would have created the urge to seek him out in our very being.
The reason religion came into existance, IMO, is curiosity. People want to know how everything works, and people chose one/both of religion and science.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Strumpling]
    #1079962 - 11/23/02 06:07 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think it originated from the fear / mystery of the unknown. Where do we come from? How did we get here? How does life occur at all?
Looking back at the early Human ancestors, (Homo Neanderthalensis, Archaic Homo Sapiens), it is observable that as the size of the brain increased (this was due to our increasing need for social interactions such as speech and memory and recognition, etc), then the evidence of spirituality also increases.
Preserved Neanderthalensis burial sites show a lot of evidence for some kind of spirituality. Many of the remains are buried in the same position (fetal position) with many items surrounding them which could have spiritual connotations.
However the Neanderthal spirituality was still quite primitive, simple, probably quite confused. It was as our social structure developed, along with our intelligence, that there is more evidence of 'religious' happenings, such as cave wall paintings, rituals etc. All of these were pretty primitive for a long time (this was Archaic Homo sapiens and early Homo sapiens), but this is just what we can tell from what they left behind, there could have been a lot more to it.
Either way, I think this beginnings of religion were rooted in the amazingness of the world in which we live, the plants, animals, EVERYTHING living in a perfect harmony with each other (well, until we have fucked it up these days), and the early humans did not know HOW this could occur (and we still really don't even today), so they needed something to attribute this to, therefore creating a God, or Gods, which they could worship as the ultimate power and creator of this amazing universe.

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #1080015 - 11/23/02 06:40 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think _organized_ religion arose as a way for some people to gain leverage over others.

And the chimp thing was interesting!

Anonymous

Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1080029 - 11/23/02 06:47 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Religion stems from man's desire to explain the unexplainable: the origin of life. I don't know about chimp religion, but I do know that there is evidence that the Neanderthals believed in an afterlife. They buried their dead, sometimes with flowers and weapons, which means they wanted to prepare their dead for something beyond death. If it is true that chimps show some signs of "religion," than it must go back even further.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Anonymous]
    #1080135 - 11/23/02 07:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Religon was created to serve as a crutch of the weak-minded and for the ones in control of that religon to take their money. It's a giant scam.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Murex]
    #1080850 - 11/24/02 01:21 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't agree with you there...I believe that it was created or started for any of the reasons mentioned above.
It would have been a while down the road until religion was exploited by control freaks to gain dominance over large groups of people who were incapable / unwilling to think for themselves. This is just a relatively recent occurence in the scales of religion.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: And the origin of religion is... [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #1081251 - 11/24/02 06:35 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think the exploitation aspect of it probably came along when civilizations began forming and social classes began developing. Someone thought... "Hey, I'm not good at anything.. But I have always liked preaching my ideas about the gods, so why don't I make some cash off of it??"

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #1081855 - 11/24/02 01:41 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Life is mysterious. We humble ourselves to what we don't know. That kind of mindset is spirituality (I think)...it's where prayer comes from. You recognize that some things are out of your hands, and you feel humble. Religion is a perversion of spirituality which comes about when a person (or group of people) has power over another.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies