Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
T.M.C. or G.G.M.M. ? Your opinions please
    #1080474 - 11/23/02 10:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hello people,
This post is directed at people who have read / own BOTH 'The Mushroom Cultivator' and 'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms' by Paul Stamets.
I have heard that both are excellent publications. I have had a browse through GGMM at the library, and I am thinking of buying it. However I thought I should consult peoples opinions on this book compared to TMC.
Is TMC similar to GGMM? Or what are the differences between them? My interests lie mainly in Psychedelic mushrooms, but I also enjoy growing / reading about edibles / medicinals.
The books are roughly the same price, so there is no cost issues between them. (On a side note, does anyone know where I can get a new copy of either of these for less than $30 US, on the internet?)
So any opinions are welcome....which of these two books do you think is the best, if I can only get one of them? Or is there any other books on similar topics which you think is better than both of these?
Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShaw

Re: T.M.C. or G.G.M.M. ? Your opinions please [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #1080771 - 11/24/02 12:40 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

at the book store i was at, TMC was $30 and GGMM was $45. I have read a good portion of both. I chose TMC, because the content was more related to do what i wanted to do. There is alot of duplicat information, but i recomend TMC. There is info on gormet mushrooms in it as well.

--------------------

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #1081350 - 11/24/02 09:14 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

GGMM is meant as an addition to TMC so I would recommend getting it first. TMC also has more psilocybian mushroom parameters.

Try doing an search of Stamets under author for used copies at http://www.bookfinder.com/. I see there is a copy available now for $19.95. Check often as the inventory changes daily.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineLangdon
Title
    #1081543 - 11/24/02 11:21 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I have found the best place to look for used books is the advanced book exhancge

abebooks.com

Try typing "Stamets, Paul" in the author box.

hope this helps,

Langdon

--------------------
BTW, the above information pertains to the cultivation of shitake mushrooms and none other. I only use the shroomery forums as an information source for fungi propogation, not the cultivation of psylocibes.

InvisibleAlkaloids
3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine
Male

Loc: pubis mons
    #1081807 - 11/24/02 01:18 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Get them both if you can. Both a nice read and have overlapping areas of information. I have 2nd ed of the GGMM and plan on getting the 3rd soon.

--------------------

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
    #1084501 - 11/25/02 01:44 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

TMC has a lot more content about psilos than GGMM TMc would be a lot more useful to you.

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: T.M.C. or G.G.M.M. ? Your opinions please [Re: flow]
    #1088176 - 11/26/02 03:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Get both. I consulted both of them on a regular basis. Get TMC first if you can only get one.
www.fungi.com
has/had some seconds under the clearance tab going cheap.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies