Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePprPlns
Stranger
New house, +20 contamed jars.
    #10800759 - 08/04/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So I moved to a new place and this place and I went from 0 contams doing G2G no glove box(old place) to an 80% contam rate (probably higher, haven't been able to keep track of all the jars ive been tossing) doing LC with a glovebox.

I think the air might be saturated with bacteria and mold spores. So much  so that running a hepa would be like bailing water on the titanic with a thimble.

I need a way to completely isolate my working area from the surrounding environment and decontaminate all the air inside. A sealed glovebox might do the trick but there are two big problems; 1 how do you have a flame going in a sealed glovebox and a plastic one at that? 2 how do I throughly decontaminate the air inside it?

One last thing thats been bugging me, spore prints cannot be sterile, so how does one increase chances for success with a spore print? Would letting spores germinate in a syringe first help? Or is there some substrate I can use that will favor mycelium over bacteria?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: New house, +20 contamed jars. [Re: PprPlns]
    #10804175 - 08/05/09 09:55 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You don't need a sealed glovebox.  You just need to follow proper sterile procedures.  If you need to isolate healthy mycelium from a bacteria and mold infested print, learn agar work and isolate on petri dishes.  Never work in open air.  The effects of contamination are cumulative, so the amount of contaminant spores increase exponentially the more you don't practice sterile technique from day one.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures