Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Post deleted by Moe Howard
    #1079566 - 11/23/02 02:32 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: omg, is this why i contam---??? [Re: ]
    #1081171 - 11/24/02 04:32 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Imagine yourself standing in a rather heavy snowstorm. There are snowflakes flying all around you, falling down, blowing accross, pilging up, drifting and so on...you get the picture?

If tiny germs, spores, bacteria and dirty dustparticals where the size of snowflakes, this is what it would be like :Standing in a snowstorm. EVEN in a "Clean" room, and EVEN after spraying chemicals all over the place....The chems will kill a bunch, but never all, of the microscopic bacteria and spores, but those things will STILL be floating around everywhere, and seeping in from god knows where.

THIS being the case, some sort of glove box, and/or flow hood is absolutely required ANYTIME you have any substrate, spores, cakes, mycelium etc exposed to air, or without a lid on them.

But for some procedures, you do not need a complicated hood and glove box....but you DO need something to control the environment, and the flow of air and particals of bacteria.

Here is ONE simple and cheap thing to do:

Get a cardboard box....a largish one, like what a 21-Inch TV set would come in. (Maybe 20"X20"X26"). Set it on one end, with the open end facing you on your work space. There should be four flaps wheere the box opens. Tape these flaps together at the corners so they hold themselves out, and make the box deeper.
get some clear plastic sheeting...or maybe even a trashbag might work in a pinch.
Tape this plastic to the flaps you just taped together, so it drapes down and forms a sort of curtain over the box opening.

Now, get out your bleach solution in a spray bottle, your alcohol in a spray bottle, your h2o2 and lysol can...and hose the thing down, inside and out, and also spray around the entire area...especially ABOVE where you are working. (Like, did you ever check out how much stuff is just dangling from your cieling? especially in a basement?)

Now you can put the things you are working on into the box, and reach in under the plastic curtain, and work on them...keep a bottle of lysol, or alcohol inside the box for frequent sprayings INSIDE the box while you work. (Carefull not to sterilize your mycelium, or spores!)

You can even make the box so it can be folded up and stowed away when you are done with it...ready for use again. I'd slip it into a trashbag to keep it somewhat clean...but you want to spray it with your cleaning agents everytime before you use it.

OfflineMuShARoom
Contract Killer

Loc: Quebec
Re: omg, is this why i contam---??? [Re: KingCobWeb]
    #1082278 - 11/24/02 05:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Contams are soo $#@$@#ing stupid!!!

ARGH!!!

:frown: My cat doesn't have a glovebox, and he innoculated 4 jars with a sterile spore syringe someone sent him... He hopes he won't get contaminated, he just told me He flame sterilized the syringe each time it went to a hole, and he boiled the cans for 45 mins, and let it cool down for like 6 hours 

--------------------
Anarchy + Peace = :smile:

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Loc: Canada
    #1085600 - 11/25/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

no, you don't really need a glovebox.  it WILL reduce your chances of contams, but it's definately NOT neccesary.  after all, the PF tek doesn't require a glovebox, and it's a lot more open to contams, but yet it's recommended to every newbie, because it works, and in most cases 9/10 (or 10/10 if you're good :smile:) jars will be fine.

so once again, it's not neccesary :tongue: 

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: omg, is this why i contam---??? [Re: fredthetree]
    #1086847 - 11/26/02 05:19 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

He's not doing PF tek, PF tek is not more open to contams and a glovebox is recomended to anyone depending on what they do, not just newbies. He's using open bags, PK tek uses holes on lid, how's that more open to contams ?
BTW, that glovebox idea is very good, i'll be making something similar :wink: .

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineKingCobWeb
journeyman
Re: omg, is this why i contam---??? [Re: MAIA]
    #1087031 - 11/26/02 07:41 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

BTW, that glovebox idea is very good, i'll be making something similar .

Thanks! Im not sure that it is my original idea...I might have read something somewhere that gave me that idea.....But its cheap, easy, and it works.

One could also go a step further and attach a filtered fan/blower apperatus to one side, or back of the box to form a positive pressure inside the box that blows contams out, while only allowing fresh, clean, filtered air in. (Ive got some ideas for building such a filter, involving different sized coffee cans, tyvex, fiberfill, and various other materials, and a fan and a corrigated hose...like vaccuuum cleaner hose...of courase ALL of that has to be sterile too...or your just blow contams into your work!)

Now, the really important thing I discovered just before I went to the hospital:
IF you are going to have an open flame inside, or nearby your box, be VERY VERY VERY careful with spraying alcohol and lysol around!

You see....if you hose everything down with alcohol, then there are alcohol vapours flouting about...and these are flamable. Also, spraying lyso around and opn flame is kind of cool and fun....but not in an open box that your arms and hands are in, and your face is pressed against...especially with a bunch of flamable alcohol fume in there.

So, let things dry out a bit BEFORE lighting any flames for sterilizing needles and such!
Maybe the LAST thing to spray around should be bleach water, or H2O2 to sort of wash down and dilute any alcohol valpours around.

I am now typing with my toes, and I have a really wild new hair-do.

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

Re: omg, is this why i contam---??? [Re: MAIA]
    #1088212 - 11/26/02 04:12 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

aren't mycobags sealed, with a spot for injecting?

if it's just an open bag, then i'm sorry, i was mistaken with my post :tongue: 

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: fredthetree]
    #1088220 - 11/26/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Offlinefredthetree
Stranger

#1088259 - 11/26/02 04:35 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

oooh... i for some reason was under the impression they came with substrate or something... lol :tongue: 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale