Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Xlea321]
    #1079402 - 11/23/02 01:14 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

dinosaurs will outlive humanity so in that sense they were more successful.

Dude, humans are a species, dinosaurs are quite a few thousand species. It's a bad comparison. Dinosaurs vs mammals would make more sense, or maybe sauropods vs primates. I agree with your point, though. There is no reason intelligence like ours which wants to or can travel between stars has to evolve. There is no peak of evolution, things just keep changing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrubuShrume
EAT ME - I'm afungi

Loc: Right where I need to be
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: postanaldrip]
    #1079480 - 11/23/02 01:53 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"there is also an infinitely vast amount of time"

What about the dimensions in which time ceases to exist?

The dimension in which time ceases to exist is known as death. Time is a measurement of life, uised to organize things that would seem chaotic without a scale of measurement. Time in astronomy is still a measurement of life. The Native Americans used the astronomy to develop a calender, in which they organized their lives.

For time timr cease to exist is to let eternity rule, which is only when one dies. Everyone experiences eternity, but one cannot experience it in life due to time.

We need to develop intelligent life on Earth before looking too the skies. Some would argue that YES, THERE ARE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE OUT THERE. Hoever, SOCIETY is what represents Earth, and SOCIETY IS NOT NATURALLY INTELLIGENT. (NATRUALLY MEANING NATURE). We live to simplify our lives, rather than living to live, we live to do nothing. Get something else to do it. There are intelligent Doctors and Physicists and abstract artists and deep thinkers but the numbers of slobs and the destruction of Earth through industrialization and post-industrialization shall but limit the time left for ANY LIFE on Earth and how far into space we can get.

Nature is what has brought us life. We have brought nature technology, and it conflicts. The pollution and nuclear tech will detroy the planet before we can contact possible life in the Universe.

Oh well, its too far along to go back. I will just eat my shrooms, connect to myself and the Earth's Spirit and know that things will be okay.

--------------------
AH HA....

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Dogomush]
    #1079490 - 11/23/02 02:00 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"Although there are infinite numbers of other planets out there there is also an infinitely vast amount of time"

Many physicists will disagree with this.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #1079503 - 11/23/02 02:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know where some of these people get the idea that 'absence of proof = proof of absence' is either logical or scientific, because it's neither.

You can say we are -probably- the only intelligent species in the universe, but to state it as a fact... I have to ask; who died and made you God?
The number of planets and the amount of time in this universe are both finite. Nothing can be said of other universes because they are forever outside our knowledge. And realistically, nothing can even be said about the contents of other galaxies, since their distance (3 million light years for the closest) is prohibitive to travel or communication even assuming we had science-fiction level spacecraft technology. There are believed to be 125 billion galaxies in the universe. That works out to something like 2,500,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars. 2,499,999,999,999,999,999,999 of which we have never been to.

I'd be reluctant to say there wasn't a 3-tittied lion out there somewhere.

Offlinepostanaldrip
human alien
Male
Loc: Earth
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: chodamunky]
    #1079505 - 11/23/02 02:07 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

youre right. its probably more like 1 millionth of 1 percent. We dont even know everything about the planet earth. And there are billions of planets out there, along with countless dimensions. So, make the conclusiion for yourself.

--------------------
"It's not until we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything." TDFC

Offlinepostanaldrip
human alien
Male
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: DrubuShrume]
    #1079517 - 11/23/02 02:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"The dimension in which time ceases to exist is known as death."

So youre saying that every night when I have lucid dreams and can manipulate reality, that Im dead? I sure know Im not in the third dimension anymore, and Im certainly not dead.

--------------------

Offlinepostanaldrip
human alien
Male
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: LOPHO.MP]
    #1079524 - 11/23/02 02:14 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"How can you know the percent of something if you do not know the total?!!! That is dumb shit!!!"

It was just a figure that I threw out there to get the point across that we know relatively nothing on a universal scale. It appears that you are the "dumb shit" .

--------------------

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Phluck]
    #1079578 - 11/23/02 02:36 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"Although there are infinite numbers of other planets out there there is also an infinitely vast amount of time"
Many physicists will disagree with this.

Yeah, that may be true but I argue that 100 000 years is only a tiny tiny moment on the grand scale of things.

Offlinepostanaldrip
human alien
Male
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Xibalba]
    #1079624 - 11/23/02 02:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

"I'd be reluctant to say there wasn't a 3-tittied lion out there somewhere."

Nice!! :grin: 

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Swami]
    #1079679 - 11/23/02 03:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Fool... You can't kill baby Hitler.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Xibalba]
    #1079703 - 11/23/02 03:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I read an interesting theory that stated basically that the first intelligent species in any given galaxy would probably colonize all the planets in that galaxy capable of sustaining life before the second one even came into being.

I believe there is a pretty good chance that we are the first and only intelligent species currently in this galaxy, but probably not in the universe.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1079903 - 11/23/02 05:39 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If you believe there are an infinite amount of planets and stars, the probability of conditions being right to bring forth intelligent life (which not all scientists will probably agree on) increases significantly.
Time is a human invention if you ask me.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Alan Stone]
    #1079921 - 11/23/02 05:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

of course "time" is a human invention...... just like every other word we're using here on the forum.

Its simply a word we use to describe the phenomenon of "everything" not happening "all at once," once-again more words we made up, though.

Dude we made everything up.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Strumpling]
    #1079954 - 11/23/02 05:59 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, we made up language. But do you believe there is no more than linguistic terms than the terms themselves? Did we invent the sea because we call it sea? I'd rather think of it as discovering things. But time IS made up, IMO.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
    #1079992 - 11/23/02 06:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know why everybody is saying the universe is infinite, the jury is still out. Current observations indicate that the universe is expanding, and pretty fucking big, but still finite.

I do not believe that time is a human invention, if all humans died time would still continue to exist, wouldn't it? Dogs obey time, radioactive isotopes obey time, but it doesn't necessarily have to apply to everything, or be the final limiting dimension for the entire universe.

Back on the subject of inifinity, I can't imagine a place better than the Shroomery to find a group of minds able to conceptualize infinity. Or at least get pretty close.  :smile:

OfflineGhostPanther
herbsman

Loc: ?unknown?
    #1080006 - 11/23/02 06:35 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well considering there are more stars in the universe than all the grains of sand on all the beaches in the world, I personally believe that there is intelligent life out there, just because of those odds. you are right when you say 100,000 years isnt a lot of time in the universes perspective, but even if the right environmental conditions are met on a planet to produce life, that may be only one out of 15-20 planets in that solar system, but the sheer size and number of objects in this universe is not comprehendable(sp?) which means that somewhere there is life. or think of it like this, what are the chances of a planet developing the exact same as earth when there are a uncountable number of planets in the universe - that is most definitely a chance. Also, who says life has to be capable of space travel to be intelligent? we havent even set foot on another planet yet. just my 2 cents...

--------------------

http://overgrow.com
http://buddhanet.net

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: GhostPanther]
    #1080089 - 11/23/02 07:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

There is no way to have any statistic on comparing life on earth with other possable life! It's like having a marble and trying to guess how many other marbles are in a giant black box in front of you (that you never opened before)- there is no way of knwing if there are 84723954 marbles, 653 marbles or 0 marbles in the box.

Someone elses' theroy of life on other planets is just as good as mine.

:tongue:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1080100 - 11/23/02 07:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I believe time exists in the same way that "distance" exists. Something can be 10 feet away, a completely abstract idea, yet still describing something true. Something can also be 10 years "old," a completely abstract idea, yet still describing something true.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1080106 - 11/23/02 07:23 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

When I talk of the universe, I refer to "The Everything," including all the nothing.

How can it not be infinite? What's out beyond it? Nothing? Well nothing is something; its the absense of stuff - so if nothing's out past the universe, then that nothing is infinite right? no? ok then whats past that? a large concrete wall? ok then whats past that? nothing? ok then the nothing goes on forever, right?

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
Nothing is something.

--------------------

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: There isn't intelligent life on other planets [Re: GhostPanther]
    #1080133 - 11/23/02 07:40 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

well considering there are more stars in the universe than all the grains of sand on all the beaches in the world, I personally believe that there is intelligent life out there, just because of those odds.

Right, now take that innefable number of planet-representing grains of sand from the beach that is the universe and put it them all in a huge hourglass. Before you do this colour the sand grain red if it represents a planet which does, will, or did sustain space-faring beings. The hourglass empties in 10 billion years. How many red grains of sand will come through within 100 000 years of eachother? Of course, we have no clue what the exact ratio would be, but we can all agree that the red grains are *sparsely* distributed. Now let's say a few red grains come through within the window we talked about, let's now go look at these species living on the planets. Do they have the urge to meet other intelligent species? I'm sure they wouldn't all want to, so we can eliminate some as potential ETs. Now let's go back to the beach and look at the red sand's original location. Are the two or more grains close enough that it would at all be worth while for the beings to check eachother out? And let's not forget just how many grains of sand there is on the beach, they may have a lot of searching to do.

Of course this hourglass model isn't perfect but I thought it might get across the odds of intelligent life communicating. And if you think 100 000 years is a large window just to give some general perspective check this*: one million seconds go by in 11 days, one billion seconds take 34 years to go by.

*I'm working from memory and may be off I did the calculations a few days ago give it a try yourself if you want to know exactly

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order