Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Incense, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
Sick of that BRF SHIT!
    #1077837 - 11/22/02 10:00 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Hello all-

Ok I did the whole BRF + Vermiculate Cased in Vermiculate thing for my first grow. Success but low yeilds and whatever. I want the best for these guys. Can you recomend me a TEK for colonization and a TEK for casing?? I want the BEST of the BEST of the BEST!!!

Thanks dudesss

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLlamanose
The llama knows

Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1077841 - 11/22/02 10:02 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Verm is the devil.  :mad: 

--------------------
Alice came to a fork in the road.  "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Loc: Florida, USA
    #1077854 - 11/22/02 10:08 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

use POOOOOOOOOOO

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1077861 - 11/22/02 10:09 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

why poo? How is that so better? Is it better than birdseed and where can I read up on poo poo TEks on the web. All they got is birdseed shit.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1077862 - 11/22/02 10:09 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

straw/horse dung, cased with coir, spawned with rye.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1077879 - 11/22/02 10:18 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

In reply to:

why poo? How is that so better...

do asearch in either the grow log or the mushroom pictures forum and compare results, this should answer your question. also, IME, *poo* seems less prone to contamination that grain, especialy millet. milage may vary though.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (11/22/02 10:20 PM)

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: canid]
    #1077893 - 11/22/02 10:25 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: ]
    #1077898 - 11/22/02 10:28 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

i wouldn't recomend he use millett if he isn't experienced with casings. it's trickier and it 's another place for something to go wrong.

--------------------

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

#1077902 - 11/22/02 10:31 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

poo colonizes SO fast. this is what i do- colonize a jar, spawn it by getting a bunch of pasteurized poo (look up how to pasteurize or pm me) and mix it all up. for every 1 part mycellium, 10 parts poo. then after its all nice and evenly mixed, but it in a tray or jar, i use kitty litter boxes, then i put a 1/4 in layer of poo on top. within a week, BAM mycelium party. then do it to it. good luck!
de

OfflineMsPacMan
Stranger

Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: canid]
    #1077907 - 11/22/02 10:33 PM (14 years, 22 days ago)

i dunno concrete, i have better luck with millet than rye. rye seems to dry out too much for me....it all depends. i just wouldn't mess with birdseed.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: MsPacMan]
    #1078179 - 11/23/02 12:07 AM (14 years, 22 days ago)

ok, like i said, your milage may varry.

--------------------

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

#1078778 - 11/23/02 05:16 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

YOu guys are a big help. So if I'm right it sounds like I get the mycelium going with rye in either half pint jars or quart jars, I'll probably just use half pint jars. Then I take that myclieum and mix it all up with pasterized poo? Then I let that coloninze and then case???

How bad does that poo smell? Will it really stink up my room?

OfflineAuditory Misperception
Digital Hippy
    #1078820 - 11/23/02 06:18 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

That's my biggest concern.. how bad does cow poo smell? My girl is vegetarian and burns about 20 incense every time I cook a steak or other tasty smelling meat, I couldn't imagine her reaction to cow shit smell when she got home... (when I mentioned that cow shit was probably the best way to go she made a weird face, so I told her vegetarian shit works wonders too {would it? this was just an on the spot sarcastic hypothesis, but shit maybe it works, and if you think the satisfaction of eating your own home grown mushies is cool, imagine if they were cased by your own waste:-} and asked if she could save me a few samples, she quickly decided that pasteurizing cow shit wasn't so bad anymore) but I'd still rather not stink up the place and probably won't do this unless the consensus is it won't stink...

another thing I'm curious about is if it can be picked up at walmart or a lawn and garden center or if i'm gonna have to go visit the boonies and wait till I step in a pile?

OfflinePsiloSteve
Bioinformant
    #1078909 - 11/23/02 08:09 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

How bad does that poo smell? Will it really stink up my room? 

What you will be smelling is the sweet smell of success.  In natural habitat, cubensis grows wild on dung.  Usually, the spores come from the mushroom cap and land on grain, straw, etc and might colonize a little bit.  The horse, cow, buffalo, whatever eats it and its stomach is like an incubator.  This is what you are simulating with jars, and then shits it out, and the mycel zooms through it.  The fungus starts running out of nutrients and says oh shit, we're gonna die, better shoot my nut all over it. :grin:  Then the spores stick to grass, straw, grain etc and repeats.

Dung is its primary substrate.  Cubensis is just a versitile strain that will grow on grain as well.  There's a lot of good information here about dung.  If you grow using dung, I guarantee you'll have more, healthier, and more potent mushrooms.  Some people say they taste gross but I don't notice a difference since I don't really like the taste of mushrooms.  Still its bearable to me.

--------------------
Don't worry be happy!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: PsiloSteve]
    #1079415 - 11/23/02 03:21 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

verry nice and informative but you didn't even touch his question...
not, it wont smel up your house. it will smell like soil, a little stronger than usual, but not bad. more likely you will smell the mycelium more.

--------------------

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

#1079521 - 11/23/02 04:13 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Thanks guys-

But, can I get this at a walmart? I have no access to fresh poo.

OfflineGao
Irie Hombre
Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: PsiloSteve]
    #1079697 - 11/23/02 05:26 PM (14 years, 21 days ago)

Hold up now. You are telling me that the P. Cubensis spores land on suitable substrate, germinate, are consumed by the cow/horse/buffalo, and then incubate inside it's stomach? That's pretty much impossible. Conditions within the stomach of an animal arent too coo for mycelial growth. Extremely low PH, constant grinding and mechanical damage, a whole slew of digestive enzymes, tons of bacterial competitors: Not a good env.

I was told that the P. cubensis spores are deposited on leaf surfaces, are consumed by the cow, pass through it's digestive system unharmed (spore walls are pretty tough), and after the cow shits germination occurs.

This is not definitive, I'd love someone to cite research studying the life cycle of P. cubensis, I just can't see the mycelium using the cow as an "incubator".

Also, if the shit is properly cured, there will be no bad smell. It's kinda earthy, and overall plesant in my opinion.

Gao

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Gao]
    #1080467 - 11/24/02 12:17 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

InvisibleIDontGrow
insomniac

Re: Sick of that BRF SHIT! [Re: matts]
    #1080615 - 11/24/02 01:18 AM (14 years, 21 days ago)

gao get a clue man

--------------------
work of fiction

http://www.thenook.org/

OfflinePsiloSteve
Bioinformant
    #1081272 - 11/24/02 09:04 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Some old dried pieces of poo straight from the farm is best but I've never had luck with poo from the garden stores. I've seen people in here say it works well but I have no idea what brand they used. Some bags say 100% organic and are still sprayed with funguscide. I've had a few failures using storebought dung.

You could probably find out with a simple "what brand to use" post and get some good replies. You really should make friends with someone that has a horse. Perhaps you could go to a feed store and ask around there what to buy. Explain that you are into mycology and that you need to have 100% additive free dung, and you might get lucky and get permission to collect some from someone's stable. Still it might not be possible if you live in a big city. I'm sure you can figure something out.

Now about dung, before you throw out the bag of dung thinking its treated (and yes some animal feed is treated so that their shit is also treated), make sure your you are doing it right. You will know when the dung isn't treated by visiting the farm after a long rain storm and digging through the terds looking for fungus. As far as moisture, you want it slightly moist, but slightly on the dry side. People tend to have it too moist. If you squeeze your pasteurized poo and water is still dripping water, it is probably too wet. Sometimes it helps to squeeze it out and let it hang dripping into a tub. Also, you should make sure that the dung has been composting for quite a while. The idea is the microorganisms in the dung metabolize it a little bit. Fresh dung is a bit on the acidic side. It has way too much urea in it. You might not want to use all your spawn the first time. Instead, do a few small experiments until you get it right. You won't be disappointed!

Anyway, this is just a few ideas. I hope this helps you. There are way more people out there that can help you out with this. You should start a grow log.

--------------------
Don't worry be happy!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Incense, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology