Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewonderwhy
Stranger
Why aren't my shrooms growing?
    #10778149 - 08/01/09 12:35 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

UPDATE (9/3/09):  Here are pics of the full-grown (i think) pins right after I picked them.  They look like different parts of mutated mushrooms mashed together lol.  I have no idea how this happened.  However...the trip was amazing.  It was mostly a weird euphoria that lasted a few hours.  I spent those few hours rolling around in my bed, out of my mind, gnawing at the sheets, thinking of all these things I was suddenly inspired to do.  I kept saying yes, yes, like I was having an orgasm lol.  I also said thank you God a lot.  Sometimes I also got tears in my eyes and cried a little for no real reason.  Besides all that, the rug looked like it was moving kind of like water and other things seemed to be moving (you all know what I'm talking about).  I get that sometimes when I'm sober, though.  I did even when i was a kid, long before I tried any psychedelics.  Also, when I got up from my bed to go to the bathroom, I felt really tall and light, and the knob on my sink faucet looked extra glossy.  The only bad thing about the trip was that I felt a mild disphoria after the intense euphoria ended.

I opened the bag early to eat the "mushroom" in the pic in my previous update.  It matured before all the others.  I didn't trip very much on it.  As a result, by the time all the others were ready, some of them had a little bit of white fuzz on them.  I just avoided eating those parts.  One of the "mushrooms" had a weird green blob on it.  I don't know if it's an infection or what.  There's a pic of it below.

Here are the matured pins.  I ate most of them for my trip.

This is the one with the weird green blob.  You can't see it in this pic, but it had a bunch of little lines through it that made it look like intestines.

UPDATE (8/26/09):  I got pinning about 4-5 days ago but they're growing kind of slow and they don't look right, they look like they're mutated or something lol.  Here are pics, tell me if they're ok.

UPDATE:  The mycelium stopped colonizing at least a week ago but I still don't see any pinning.  There seems to be a lot of condensation on the side of the bag.  Is there too much moisture in there?  Here's a pic:

----------------------------------------------------------

2 months ago, I injected Penis Envy (Psilocybe Cubensis) spores into one of the grow bags sold here:

http://www.themadseason.com/growbags.asp

I followed all the directions on the site.  The substrate was supposed to be 90-100% covered with mycelium within a month, but it almost stopped spreading after 2 weeks when it was only about 30% covered.  By 5 weeks, it was still only about 40% covered, so I skipped to the next step which was to expose the substrate to indirect sunlight.  Pinning was supposed to start about a week later.  A few weeks went by and nothing happened.  So i put them in direct sunlight which wasn't in the directions, but I was desperate.  A week went by, and here I am.  The mycelium kept growing slowly in the light and by now covers about 80% of the substrate, but still no mushroom growth.  What should I try next?  Or will the shrooms never grow?

Update:  Now that I've mixed it around, should I take the substrate out of the bag when pinning starts so the shrooms have more room to grow?  Or will that get it contaminated?  And when should I pick the shrooms?

8/4/09:  Mycelium has been reforming over the substrate for a few days now.  When I shook it up, little crumbs got stuck all over the walls of the bag, and mycelium is crawling up the walls.  Is this ok, or will it think it has to colonize the entire inside of the bag before it pins?  Here are some pictures:

Edited by wonderwhy (09/03/09 08:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: wonderwhy]
    #10778164 - 08/01/09 12:39 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It's still in the bag?

Did you ever crumble the bag and spread the myc around?  I'm assuming not, and that's why it took forever and is still not colonized.

Crumble it up, spread the myc around, and set it someplace for a few days.  If it is still healthy, and with correct moisture content(After 2 months I dont know), it should recover and finish itself off.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineMo0se
Stranger

Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: Citric]
    #10778178 - 08/01/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If it's still colonizing, you don't want to expose it to light.  And you actually don't want to ever expose it to direct sunlight...

What is the approximate temperature you are storing the bag at?

Offlinewonderwhy
Stranger
    #10778192 - 08/01/09 12:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The website directions don't say to crumble it up, are you sure I'm supposed to do this?

Offlinewonderwhy
Stranger
Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: Mo0se]
    #10778204 - 08/01/09 12:50 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The bag is being kept at 72-78 degrees.  It fluctuates so much because I have an air conditioner that doesn't work right.

Edited by wonderwhy (08/01/09 12:51 AM)

OfflineMo0se
Stranger

#10778223 - 08/01/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

He has that "Trusted Cultivator" tag, so he probably knows what he's talking about :thumbup:.

Anyways, crumbling it up will mix around the mycellium, which allows it to grow in more places at a time... which basically speeds along the colonization.  You shouldn't be putting it in any light right now.  If you can, keep it at around 80-85 degrees.  Although upper 70s will be fine.  I'm going to assume its moisture content is fine since it is a grow bag, and should come set up properly (although you never know with those things).  Like Citric said, it should start to colonize fully.  Don't start giving it light until you are ready to fruit it.

OfflineArcanePerception
The only rule isthe golden rule
 User Gallery

#10778224 - 08/01/09 12:54 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mo0se said:
If it's still colonizing, you don't want to expose it to light.  And you actually don't want to ever expose it to direct sunlight...

Not true at all light exposure is no big deal and might even be a good thing.

Quote:

wonderwhy said:
The website directions don't say to crumble it up, are you sure I'm supposed to do this?

Yes you should have crumbled at 30% or so it spreads the mycelium around and inoculates the rest of the bag. Its more important with bags of grain like that because you have alot to colonize.

--------------------
Oh, welcome to this world of fools
Of pink champagne and swimming pools

Offlinenastos
secret secretions
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10778226 - 08/01/09 12:55 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

shake the shit out of it

--------------------
:shrug:

Offlinewonderwhy
Stranger
    #10778318 - 08/01/09 01:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, I just crumbled up the entire thing and mixed well so you can't see any mycelium anymore.  Is that right or was I supposed to only crumble the outer layer?

PS: I'm kind of pissed that the website left out that important step.

Edited by wonderwhy (08/01/09 01:22 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10778470 - 08/01/09 02:18 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

breaking up the grain will make it look like the mycelium disapears, its normal. after it recovers it will continue colinising.

I have my substrates in light from day 1 and they dont pin until they are fully colinised.

Full colinisation is the number 1 pinning trigger. Simply adding light wont really do anything untill you have full colinisation.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineBeefWatson
Beefmaster

Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: ArcanePerception]
    #10778534 - 08/01/09 02:46 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

direct sunlight may just dry it out, depending how much i suppose.

i actually have fully colonized madseason bags of PE, im waiting for them to pin

good luck with your grow.

InvisibleMADHACK3RZ
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: BeefWatson]
    #10778741 - 08/01/09 05:43 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yea the light isn't going to do shit, just direct sun will fuck your bag up.  Have some more patience and you should have some 'shrooms to enjoy.  I hate waiting too.  I can't believe that the company selling the bags didn't say anything about shaking that will increase the speed of the grow.

--------------------
There is no food in my fridge only body parts
I spin more rhymes then a lazy suzan, I'm innocent until my guilt is proven.
Hell yeah I'm AMU, Now watch me smoke this spliff!
I'm not racist I hate everyone!
AMU Tek's, This is how we do!
AMU Q&A Thread
If you dont know, then feel free to ask me... MAD! The only stupid question is the question you didn't ask!

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: MADHACK3RZ]
    #10778945 - 08/01/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If it's taken 2 months to reach 80% colonization, then you have bacterial problems.

I'll bet if you cut that bag open, you'd get a big whiff of rotting apples or gym socks. Next time, colonize at room temperature. I've had this problem before and lost a tub because spawn I had colonizing was sitting in a room without AC and got up to 80-90F during the day.

Light is, for the most part, irrelevant during colonization.

You might have luck spawning that to an outdoor bed.

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#10779008 - 08/01/09 08:44 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mo0se said:
He has that "Trusted Cultivator" tag, so he probably knows what he's talking about :thumbup:.

Anyways, crumbling it up will mix around the mycellium, which allows it to grow in more places at a time... which basically speeds along the colonization.  You shouldn't be putting it in any light right now.  If you can, keep it at around 80-85 degrees.  Although upper 70s will be fine.  I'm going to assume its moisture content is fine since it is a grow bag, and should come set up properly (although you never know with those things).  Like Citric said, it should start to colonize fully.  Don't start giving it light until you are ready to fruit it.

outdated information. those temps are too high. please stop spreading this misinformation.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: Brennus]
    #10779017 - 08/01/09 08:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Brennus said:
If it's taken 2 months to reach 80% colonization, then you have bacterial problems.

I'll bet if you cut that bag open, you'd get a big whiff of rotting apples or gym socks. Next time, colonize at room temperature. I've had this problem before and lost a tub because spawn I had colonizing was sitting in a room without AC and got up to 80-90F during the day.

Light is, for the most part, irrelevant during colonization.

You might have luck spawning that to an outdoor bed.

It's been two months, and it is still colonizing.  It hasn't stalled, just growth has slowed. If it was bacterial it would of stopped colonizing ages ago.  The issue here is the myc was not spread around so it is going to take longer.

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#10779039 - 08/01/09 08:56 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

^this is so true.
if you have ever lost a jar to bacteria you see that growth comes to an abrupt halt and goes no further.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

OfflineMo0se
Stranger

Re: Why aren't my shrooms growing? [Re: prismism]
    #10779308 - 08/01/09 10:25 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
Quote:

Mo0se said:

outdated information. those temps are too high. please stop spreading this misinformation.

Can you please tell me where it says that those temperatures are too high.  I'm not really trying to challenge you... its just that everything I have ever read said to keep it at those temps while colonizing and then reduce temperature by ten degrees when fruiting.  It'd be nice to see the newest information.

Offlinepickboy87
Shroom n00b
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10779389 - 08/01/09 10:45 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

^^^ RR has said (let me look in a sec) that those temps are too high. I believe he even says it in the video. Anything over 81 degrees can lead to bacteria being grown. It's more of an ideal temp for them. The 85 degrees temp has been passed around for years, but it's outdated and needs to be kept at 81 or lower if you want to avoid a bacterial contamination.

Edit:

*Do you know of one place in nature where cubes fruit naturally that does not have a difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures? I've read ever since 1985 that 86F is best, usually because of somebody simply repeating what they've read somewhere, then somebody repeats that, and so on and so on. Now, over 20 years later, they're still repeating it, and it's still wrong. In my grow room, the day and night temperatures fluctuate as much as 20F. When I say normal room temperature that means 72F to 78F. There is zero increase in rate of growth of cubensis above 80F, and mushroom mycelium often stalls out and bacteria is encouraged in warm anaerobic environments, such as is found in the bottom of non-vented tubs commonly used as 'incubators'. COLONIZATION

--------------------
My first harvest:

Edited by pickboy87 (08/01/09 10:47 AM)

Offlinenewtogrowing
Mr. Green smiles
Male

#10779398 - 08/01/09 10:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

wonderwhy said:
2 months ago, I injected Penis Envy (Psilocybe Cubensis) spores into one of the grow bags sold here:

http://www.themadseason.com/growbags.asp

Is that a good site, are there pre loaded bags any good or is it better to make your own?

--------------------
[gradient:#FF0A0A,#03FF18]
:mushroom2:Got to try to get results, got to improve that to have success, have to be successful to work on perfection:mushroom2:

Pf Tek is the way to go, it's what I plan on sticking to, I fully support and suggest Pf Tek for everyone new or not, it's awesome it has results and is easy to follow.
[gradient:#FF0A0A,#05FF05]FREAK OF THA FAMILY[/gradient]

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10779403 - 08/01/09 10:49 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Mo0se said:
Quote:

prismism said:
Quote:

Mo0se said:

Can you please tell me where it says that those temperatures are too high.  I'm not really trying to challenge you... its just that everything I have ever read said to keep it at those temps while colonizing and then reduce temperature by ten degrees when fruiting.  It'd be nice to see the newest information.

bring your temps down to 75F. 80f is the upper limit for pf jars. Much larger substrates once you get enough mycelium can produce more heat than a small pf jar. if your incubating at 85F your substrate temp could well hit 90F.

Theres alot of misinformation in the forums and it can be sometimes hard to filter it out. It was discovered a several years ago that the 86F published in paul stamets book were bogus, even he dismisses it.

RR has tried to duplicate the results and found it to be wrong, instead above 83F growth slows down. whats interesting is that growth speed doesnt change much between 75F-80F.

Ive colinised jars in a warm cupboard that was around the 80F mark with no noticable increase in speed compared with my jars now that just sit at room temp.

Colinising at such high temps can often slow growth down and give the uperhand to thermophilic moulds and bacteria.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder