Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: piracetam]
    #10696262 - 07/17/09 09:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It would seem that you and the paper are talking about two different things then. Since the paper is talking about extracted enzymes which desphosphylate the psylocybin into psylocin (which seem to be more prominent in the ethanol extraction) and you seem to be talking about the interactions between the solvents and the psylocybin.

Do I have it straight now? :smile:

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinetonos
Mycostudent
Male User Gallery

Loc: out there
Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: Billy1111]
    #10696411 - 07/17/09 10:06 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Billy1111 said:
excuse the ignorrant question but why extract it?

Just to do so, I have also heard that by ingesting pure psilocin/psilocybin won't cause cramps, which I get in my legs ver badly.

--------------------
You are only coming through in waves... Your lips move, but I cant hear what you're saying...

Offlinecanadadreaming
Male
    #10696418 - 07/17/09 10:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

what kind of extract will you end up with?

A liquid?

Offlinetonos
Mycostudent
Male User Gallery

Loc: out there
Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: canadadreaming]
    #10696442 - 07/17/09 10:12 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

hopefully a powder, but if i wanted to i could leave it as a liquid

--------------------
You are only coming through in waves... Your lips move, but I cant hear what you're saying...

OfflineSimulacra541
Nobody

Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: canadadreaming]
    #10696446 - 07/17/09 10:13 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I know it would be a bunch  of extra work, but I recall reading an article about someone who did an A/B extraction. Could that work?

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: TX Flag
Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: radiantthought]
    #10696456 - 07/17/09 10:17 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

radiantthought said:
It would seem that you and the paper are talking about two different things then. Since the paper is talking about extracted enzymes which desphosphylate the psylocybin into psylocin (which seem to be more prominent in the ethanol extraction) and you seem to be talking about the interactions between the solvents and the psylocybin.

perhaps

again, to be clear, those enzymes will be inactive in dried mushrooms, i.e. non-functional. from fresh mushrooms, the alcohol will extract primarily psilocybin, as psilocin is embedded deep within the fungal cells.

the alcoholic extraction is simple, less tedious, and doesn't involve potentially hazardous non-polar solvents. psilocybin is stable enough that it can be extracted in a soxhlet.

the A/B extraction, when done carefully, will yield more actives. the latter procedure is tricky, requires less heat, and is sensitive to highly basic solution

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: Simulacra541]
    #10696466 - 07/17/09 10:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Simulacra541 said:
I know it would be a bunch  of extra work, but I recall reading an article about someone who did an A/B extraction. Could that work?

yes.

--------------------
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is just poetry, imagination." ~Max Planck

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

#10696497 - 07/17/09 10:29 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, the first step is generally to extract to a liquid, then you can concentrate it to whatever level you want, to a powder in most cases or if it's a very clean one
Quote:

piracetam said:
Quote:

radiantthought said:

perhaps

again, to be clear, those enzymes will be inactive in dried mushrooms, i.e. non-functional. from fresh mushrooms, the alcohol will extract primarily psilocybin, as psilocin is embedded deep within the fungal cells.

the alcoholic extraction is simple, less tedious, and doesn't involve potentially hazardous non-polar solvents. psilocybin is stable enough that it can be extracted in a soxhlet.

the A/B extraction, when done carefully, will yield more actives. the latter procedure is tricky, requires less heat, and is sensitive to highly basic solution

If the enzymes are 'inactive' as you say then why would they bother mentioning it in the paper? It just seems like a strange thing to write a whole paragraph about in your paper if it's not relevant. Ofcourse this paper WAS written in 94, so perhaps it was discovered later that the enzymes in question were deactivated in the drying process, no?

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

Offlinepiracetam
bioanalytical chemist
Male User Gallery

Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: radiantthought]
    #10696540 - 07/17/09 10:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

enzymes are the machinery of the living fungal tissue... once you dry them, they're dead. they can be isolated, but they cannot undergo protein folding.

I also mentioned in a previous response that alcohol will extract various peptides from the fungal biomass, but these peptides will not dephosphorylate the psilocybin. they would be inactive.

--------------------

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
    #10776865 - 07/31/09 09:51 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

glad i found this and just want to get it in my treads so i wont forget

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Re: psilocybin extraction process? (moved) [Re: feelfunny]
    #10776893 - 07/31/09 09:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

better way is to scroll down to the bottom and hit 'toggle favorite' then it shows up in your favorites (in your account screen) instead of getting lost in all your threads. Not to mention it prevents thread necromancy.

If your favorites are getting too clogged you can go ahead and do what some do and create a journal entry of useful links and separate them by category.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale