Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJovialLeprechaun
reasonableperson
Bulk Substrate Colonization Question
    #1075716 - 11/22/02 03:39 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Recently an elf told me a tale:

I took a large plastic bin (12" wide x 18" long x 5" deep) and lined it with tinfoil. Then, I layered in about a half inch to an inch of pasteurized organic manure. On top of this, I layed out a thin layer of colonized birdseed. I then continued layering manure and birdseed spawn in this manner until I ran out of birdseed spawn, where I finished it off with one final layer of manure, and then put the top back on the tub.

I looked at the tub the other day, after about 5-6 days of colonizing, and a tremendous amount of mycelium has sprung up through the top manure layer, projecting rhizo's up to an inch long into the air above the tub. However, the amount of birdseed spawn used nearer the top was heavier than in the layers below, because I wanted to leave enough room for a nice think casing layer.

I am wondering if I should wait a long time after the top is colonized, or just case right away - the top will be colonized in approximately another 1-2 days, but I am worried that the bottom layers are maybe not compltetely colonized.

Can anyone help out my elf friend?

--------------------
I am a reasonable person.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesocratesmind
old hand

Loc: in your house :)
Re: Bulk Substrate Colonization Question [Re: JovialLeprechaun]
    #1075733 - 11/22/02 03:43 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded.
- Abraham Lincoln: Speech in the Illinois House of Representatives, Dec 18, 1840.

OfflineJovialLeprechaun
reasonableperson
Re: Bulk Substrate Colonization Question [Re: socratesmind]
    #1075772 - 11/22/02 03:54 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks, yeah, that answers my question, mycofile answers mrdasani's question re: colonization of the substrate time with about a week, but then goes on to say that it was left for a week after 100% colonization.

I dont have that liberty though, I'd like to get 2-3 flushes in by Dec 15th.

I'm not sure if that can happen however...I looked at the date I marked on the tub and it says Nov 13th, so it has been 9 days already. I'll case tomorrow unless someone comes and posts something to the effect that casing tomorrow would not be in my best interest.

Thanks bro, 5 shrooms to you.

--------------------
I am a reasonable person.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation