Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

do i need polyfill AND tyvex
    #10743706 - 07/26/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I just have a few quick questions about lids, i've been reading through the faq's and there are so many diff lid methods it's dizzying....i am making grains out of rye berries via rr rye tek, and it is almost pc'ing time.  I have tyvex squares cut out, and will press the bottom lid part into the tyvex , and then through the threaded ring to make the tyvex layer on top to avoid condensation of the tyvex if it were on the inside, and i am drilling 4 quarter inch holes in the lid, but should i still shove poly fill in the holes even though im already using two tyvex layers, or will this result in low fae?  and with the tyvex on top do i still cover the injection site(1 of the 4 holes) after innoculating, or just leave it? it seems silly to cover anything since it is a tyvex top anyway... thanks greatly in advance for any advice

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: do i need polyfill AND tyvex [Re: Harold Hole]
    #10743715 - 07/26/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

IMO when starting with filtered lids, the easiest way to go is just polyfill. You can inoc right through and doesn't absorb water.

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

"The Universe is an artistic catharsis." Artifex Infinitum

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#10743768 - 07/26/09 03:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

isn't that risky for contams?  i would like to be as safe as possible

--------------------

InvisibleInfea
I forgot my pen...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10743769 - 07/26/09 03:12 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hinderpits said:
I just have a few quick questions about lids, i've been reading through the faq's and there are so many diff lid methods it's dizzying....i am making grains out of rye berries via rr rye tek, and it is almost pc'ing time.  I have tyvex squares cut out, and will press the bottom lid part into the tyvex , and then through the threaded ring to make the tyvex layer on top to avoid condensation of the tyvex if it were on the inside, and i am drilling 4 quarter inch holes in the lid, but should i still shove poly fill in the holes even though im already using two tyvex layers, or will this result in low fae?  and with the tyvex on top do i still cover the injection site(1 of the 4 holes) after innoculating, or just leave it? it seems silly to cover anything since it is a tyvex top anyway... thanks greatly in advance for any advice

Whoa... 1/4 inch holes are overkill.  I use 4-6 small nail holes.  No use opening up that much area.  (if you've already drilled them, they will probably work fine and be easier to knock up with the needle) Use tape to cover your needle holds.

Two layers of Tyvek are required.  Just make sure it's on the outer top of the lid with holes. Also, I find that square tyvek is a pain in the arse.  Cut them in circles the exact diameter as the OUTSIDE of you screw rings and use the flat cap to shove them inside the ring (thereby crimping the tyvek edges around the flat cap (rubber side towards jar).

--------------------
Trade List
Click this --> :pm: to PM me.

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

#10743817 - 07/26/09 03:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hinderpits said:
isn't that risky for contams?  i would like to be as safe as possible

IMO there's a smaller risk of getting contams with just polyfill as you only need one hole and inoc through the polyfill.

--------------------
"To feel today what one felt yesterday isn't to feel - it's to remember today what was felt yesterday, to be today's living corpse of what yesterday was lived and lost." Fernando Pessoa

"When one creates phantoms for oneself, one puts vampires into the world, and one must nourish these children of a voluntary nightmare with one's blood, one's life, one's intelligence, and one's reason, without ever satisfying them." Eliphas Levi

"The joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, constant change, the enjoyment of every new experience. To stop means simply to die. The eternal mistake of mankind is to set up an attainable ideal." Aleister Crowley

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#10743836 - 07/26/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i can't find the thread right now but i got the 4x 1/4 " holes idea from a rr thread here somewhere, and i f i am to tape the inoculation site, and i have tyvek over the top of the lid...i should tape the tyvek?  seems pointless.... can anyone answer my original question, will i need poly fill in addition to the tyvek layered over the top of the jar, and will i need to tape the tyvek if i inoculate through it?  no offernse intended, blessings to all here who help....

Edited by Harold Hole (07/26/09 03:29 PM)

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

#10743857 - 07/26/09 03:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You don't need polyfill with tyvek. Check RR's notes, there's a section on filters. Anything you might want to know is right here! :wink:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=2&Number=8468463&PHPSESSID=&fpart=1#8468463

--------------------

InvisibleInfea
I forgot my pen...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10743884 - 07/26/09 03:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Take your pick tyvek or polyfil (not both).  Find a tek, read it and stick to it.  It's best to have an established tek to use as a plan as apposed to coming here and asking questions of people who don't know what your plan or situation is.  If you come across specific questions about a specific tek this forum is a good place to come.

If you decide to use tyvek, as I said in my original response tape over your inoculation site on you tyvek.  There is no need to tape over the holes on your lid.

--------------------
Trade List
Click this --> :pm: to PM me.

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Re: do i need polyfill AND tyvex [Re: Infea]
    #10743891 - 07/26/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Use RR's notes, study hard and then make up your mind on what to do! After that trial/error/more study/happy mushrooms/tripping/teaching! :sun:

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

Re: do i need polyfill AND tyvex [Re: AlexP]
    #10743899 - 07/26/09 03:41 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the advice guys, i will read more of rr notes as the night progresses, and actually i have teks picked, i am using roger rabbit's rye tek for the grains, and i was going to use the "using poo 101 tek" for substrate, even though it's a little old it seems very effective. i have medium sized tubs to make monotubs and will be casing with peat and verm

--------------------

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10744049 - 07/26/09 04:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I am probably going to be crucified by the other more experienced and knowledgeable members of this board, but....

When I made my rye jars, I made one tiny needle hole with a nail and hammer, and another larger hole closer to the rim of the lid with a Phillips screw driver and nail.  After putting the lids on loosely, I covered the jar lids with aluminum foil and tightly bound it around the main glass body of the jar. 

After steaming and cooling, I tightened the jar lids by twisting the foil.  I then carefully pulled the foil back and inoculated through the needle hole.  I then covered that hole with a sterile, breathable, stretch band-aid.  I then pulled the foil back even more and covered the breathe hole with another band aid.  The total time the holes were exposed to the environment was easily less than 5 seconds.  All I had between the environment and the rye was that simple little band aid.  Kinda crazy?  Probably.  The band aids really work well.  They don't fall off or loose their ability to stick.  They also stick to metal and glass very well.  When I would shake the jars, I simply put my thumb over the band aid covered gas exchange hole.  This prevented any rye from pushing the band aid off.

So far my jars are about 95% colonized and 0 contaminants.  Take that all you conventional tek abiding obsessive mycologists!  :wink:

That is how I did it, but I am positive there are better ways to do it.  I would stick with the advice of the experienced, but I just wanted to share that it can be done without polyfil or tyvek. 

PS:  The band aids I used were Band-Aid's newest kind.  They are listed on the box as breathable, sterile, and stretchy.  I also was incredibly sterile... obsessively so.  I bleached my work area, covered all vents with a bleach solution soaked paper towels.  I used an alcohol flame... etc...

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

Re: do i need polyfill AND tyvex [Re: M11]
    #10744349 - 07/26/09 05:33 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ok now i have the jars 3/4 way full of grain, i am readying my pc'er
i have 4 nail holes in the lid and the tyvex inserted, but i have one more noob question that i have tried to find an answer to, but its evading me do I need to crack the lids open for pc'ing or can i close them tight since i have holes in the lid?( i will be covering w/foil either way)

--------------------

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10744354 - 07/26/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I cracked mine.  That is what I would do.  Just make sure no water can evade the foil and get into your jars.

ETA:  Make sure the lid rims are on so that you can't pull them off if you lift them vertically, but not too tight.  This will allow the steam to enter the jar and sterilize. 

InvisibleAlexP
 User Gallery

Re: do i need polyfill AND tyvex [Re: M11]
    #10744371 - 07/26/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You can leave the jars open if they have holes. You shouldn't leave them open when you don't beacause there'll be a vacuum and some contaminants might be sucked in when you inoc.

--------------------

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

#10744397 - 07/26/09 05:45 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

so does the steam need to actually enter the jar?(cuz i was gonna rubber band some tinfoil over the top)will that rubber band cause a loss of "steam entry"?  I really appreciate your patience in helping me to all who responded thanks

--------------------

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

#10744480 - 07/26/09 06:04 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hinderpits said:
so does the steam need to actually enter the jar?(cuz i was gonna rubber band some tinfoil over the top)will that rubber band cause a loss of "steam entry"?  I really appreciate your patience in helping me to all who responded thanks

The steam doesn't necessarily need to enter the jar, because the temperature within the PC will be enough to sterilize it.  Since you have four holes in the lids, cracking them isn't necessary.  I only had a needle hole and one larger GE hole in mine, so I cracked the jars a little and covered with tin foil.  Allowing the steam to enter the jar also helps maintain the moisture content in the jars.  Too much heat can cause that moisture content to leave the jars though too.  I would crack the lids just a tad, but it really isn't essential in your case.

I have learned that most things involving shroom cultivation have about 100 different ways to them.  If you stick with the basic fundamentals illustrated by the experienced members of this board, you will be successful.  Some of the finer points aren't as huge of an issue.

Just make sure your grains aren't over or under saturated with water.  The rye will appear "dry" to us, but there is plenty of moisture within the berries.

Good luck.

OfflineStealthgrower
n00b Pwner
 User Gallery

#10744506 - 07/26/09 06:10 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

hinderpits said:
there are so many diff lid methods it's dizzying...

Funny how each person posted with a different method/theory.  I agree with just stuffing polyfill tighly into a 3/8 inch hole, however, to keep moisture and grains from sticking to the polyfill, I use a layer of tyvek UNDER the lid, this allows me to shake vigorously without worrying about the filter, gives me one more layer of protection, allows gas exchange, and I can still inoculate through it.  Oh and the best part?  I can reuse these many times without replacing the polyfill in the hole or the tyvek.  It all comes off in one nice piece after being PC'd.
:thumbup:

--------------------
Infea said:
You ever seen that movie Constantine.  Well they pass into hell several times.  In hell there are melting human bodies, in your tub are melting mushroom bodies.  Your tub had passed into mushroom hell.

OfflineHarold Hole
suck my substrate
 User Gallery

Re: do i need polyfill AND tyvex [Re: Stealthgrower]
    #10744780 - 07/26/09 07:07 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

pressure cooker is doing the hula dance....thanks to everyone for ridiculously speedy responces Ill post pics of hopefully white colonized jars here in a week or two  Thanks again

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10744821 - 07/26/09 07:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

you dont need polyfill with tyvek. Use either method, whichever suits you.

Both work well.

You can even use micropore tape on both sides of the hole and a third to repair the would from injection.

Or you could have a single gas exchange hole in the middle and a silicon injection site (my favourite) its what i have my mate using on his jars (why my mate and not me, i cant afford jars, drinking glasses and foil lids)

I always thought it was 4 1/8th inch holes for the holes in the lids.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleM11
White Thumb

Re: do i need polyfill AND tyvex [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10744959 - 07/26/09 07:52 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

^^^

So its a miracle that I got away with band aids?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract