Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Substrate Not Colonizing (she kicked into gear :)
    #10742338 - 07/26/09 09:50 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

We've got a couple different strains started up on WBS right now. We've done a couple successful rounds of G2G, but we've yet to get the mycelium to colonize the substrate(60/40) coco/poo.  I'm pretty sure that the moisture content is good, as I squeezed out the excess moisture, but the spawn isn't spreading to the substrate at all.  This is the same spawn that's tearing up the jars on G2G, so I don't quite get it.  I have to double check the closet temps. but I'm pretty sure that the temp. is fine.  The only other thing that I could think of is that the ph of the substrate may  be off and it's impeding colonization.  I've had success before with plain coco, but wanted to bulk up the substrate a little bit.  I'm no old hand at this, nor am I sensitive so any recommendations/critiquing is welcome.  I've been trying to do everything by the book but something definitely seems off.  Maybe the spawn ratio is low.  I've really got to figure this out as it's the only thing holding us back.  The jars will be stacking pretty soon.

--------------------
This and all posts are the work of an imaginary character known as psilopod. Don't believe this rambling drivel, none of it's real, it's fake, it's an illusion, strictly for entertainment purposes. With that being said, enjoy.

Turning Dreams Into Reality

Edited by psilopod (07/30/09 06:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Substrate Not Colonizing [Re: psilopod]
    #10742351 - 07/26/09 09:54 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

So little info here. :sad:
Pics?
Temps? (General range)
Recipe/Tek?
Pasteurization method?
Spawn ratio?
Moisture content? You said you squeezed out the excess?
Colonization location?

pH should be good if it's coir/poo, did you add something else?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Not Colonizing [Re: Doc_T]
    #10742426 - 07/26/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

sorry for the lack of info, I had actually thought about that when I was posting.  There's no pics available for now as we don't have a camera.

Temps.- approximately 80-86
recipe/tek- 60/40 mix
pasteurization- stovetop at 170-175 for an hour(hard to control temp)
spawn ratio-kinda low, I read one quart jar to 12 qt sweater box, but the labels smeared off of jars and are unidentifiable now, so we went with a pint jar to a half filled sweater box.  I know that the spawn ratio is low, but I feel that should only effect overall colonization time not whether colonization even takes place.  It's been about 3 days now and it doesn't seem as though much is happening.  It smells alright, but honestly I kind of expected it to be tearing the substrate up after seeing what it did to the jars.

moisture content- squeezed substrate by hand till only a few drops came out when squeezed hard

colonization location- put down about 1.5" of substrate in the bottom, broke up an emptied the jar over substrate, layed another inch or so over it.

The reason I say about the pH is b/c the water's pH is kind of high here, I know it's hard.  I should check into it a little more.

Sorry for the lack of details/pics, hopefully this makes it a little better. 

Thanks for the quick response  :smile:

--------------------
This and all posts are the work of an imaginary character known as psilopod. Don't believe this rambling drivel, none of it's real, it's fake, it's an illusion, strictly for entertainment purposes. With that being said, enjoy.

OfflineBassgasm
Bassgasmic

Loc: Valley of the cache.
    #10742468 - 07/26/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Lemme see,

If you squeezed the 60/40 by hand till it only gave off a few drops of water. Did you give it a hard squeeze or a gentle squeeze?

Because if you did squeeze hard, it probablly messesd up your moisture content in it bro, usually people check their saturation with gentle squeezes.

--------------------
" PREPARE, to get more stonder!"

" Boo ".." It's Gobble you dumb ass Halloween was a month ago!"

klondike_bar said:
I almost got a pic, then my general curiosity overcame me and i ate the goo :crazy:

"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."

Edited by Bassgasm (07/26/09 10:23 AM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10742489 - 07/26/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psilopod said:  It's been about 3 days now

:rolleyes: Leave it alone until Thursday, then check back with us. :thumbup:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offline608Bill
Always hoping for the +4.
Male

Loc: Western MA.
    #10742497 - 07/26/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Some brands of coir can be loaded with salt from processing.My local grow store owner insists it must be rinsed several times before use to avoid ph problems. This might be your problem.

--------------------
"It's like an untamed wilditude of nature erupting in your brainspace."
E. Cuyler

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Not Colonizing [Re: 608Bill]
    #10742562 - 07/26/09 10:44 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice everybody.  I guess we'll sit back and watch for a day or two.  I really feel that the moisture content isn't off, I could be wrong, but it seems pretty nice.  I really want to find out about the ph levels and what not.  I'm going to see if I have the tester around here somewhere.  Thanks again for everything.  We'll keep you updated on what's happening.  We have another round of G2G that will be ready to go soon, so we should be good to go for some more.

--------------------

OfflineBassgasm
Bassgasmic

Loc: Valley of the cache.
    #10742584 - 07/26/09 10:49 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Good luck man :laugh:

--------------------
" PREPARE, to get more stonder!"

" Boo ".." It's Gobble you dumb ass Halloween was a month ago!"

klondike_bar said:
I almost got a pic, then my general curiosity overcame me and i ate the goo :crazy:

"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate Not Colonizing [Re: Bassgasm]
    #10742697 - 07/26/09 11:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bassgasm said:
Because if you did squeeze hard, it probablly messesd up your moisture content in it bro, usually people check their saturation with gentle squeezes.

That is not necessarily true. I like to give hard squeezes as substrates a bit on the drier side will colonize faster. Plus, proper moisture content is achieved when the substrate gives off a few drops when squeezed hard.

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10742742 - 07/26/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psilopod said:
Temps.- approximately 80-86

That's too hot, especially for a bulk sub. Was the poo leeched/composted?

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Not Colonizing [Re: FooMan]
    #10743305 - 07/26/09 01:35 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Noted and moved to lower position outside of closet, thanks

--------------------

Offlineeric111e
Stranger

#10743479 - 07/26/09 02:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've also done a few G2G transfers, and I've noticed the mycelium is not aggressive at all anymore. I guess I need to buy some more syringes

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Not Colonizing [Re: eric111e]
    #10752502 - 07/27/09 10:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Checked it out today taking a quick peak.  The mycelium hasn't really made any major moves but the few pieces I peeped had that fuzzy, getting ready to bust look.  I'm hopeful but still don't know.  We're going to get it right one of these times no matter what, whether we've gotta spawn harder or whatever.  I still want to check the ph as I think the tap water here is pretty out of wack and might actually be causing the slow colonization. 

I hate moving around so much; all of the variables are always changing up, whether it's environmental or other, such as the water quality.  I've been chipping away at this for a little while now and actually feel pretty comfortable/confident with the whole process that's why I'm thinking that it may be one of these smaller variables like pH or whatever.  If that's the case hopefully just adding a little pH down to it will work. We'll see :smile:

I'll keep yah updated.

--------------------

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#10755288 - 07/28/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Checked the pH and it is definitely high.  Added some pH down and did another batch, we'll see how this one goes. It's draining/cooling right now.  The other container appears to be starting, but I definitely think that pH may have been a factor.  This time we're going with straight horse poo and going with thinner layers/heavier spawning.

--------------------

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#10756329 - 07/28/09 03:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Did two more aluminum trays of poo today.  I balanced out the water and didn't add any coco this time.  I have a good feeling about this round as I upped the spawn ratio, a quart per aluminum tray.  We'll see how it goes. :crazy2:

--------------------

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

#10760142 - 07/29/09 06:05 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Saw a little bit of rhizomorphic growth poking it's way through this morning on the older tray.  I have a feeling the two new tray may surpass the old one as their spawn ratios are about double the other tray.

--------------------

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Not Colonizing (she kicked into gear :) [Re: psilopod]
    #10766695 - 07/30/09 06:26 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Well, I don't know exactly how you called it so well, but it is Thursday morning and as mentioned in the thread, after giving it a couple of days the tray kicked into gear.  Rhizo growth is popping up and through in 2-3 spots and making me feel much better. The other two trays that were pH adjusted and spawned heavier are the same distance along, if not further.  All in all, I'm a much happier camper.  Thanks for all the advice everyone.  I'll keep yah updated.  Maybe give me a peak at that crystal ball sometime Dr_ T , lol.

--------------------

Edited by psilopod (07/30/09 06:27 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10766741 - 07/30/09 06:37 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

what do you mean by ph was high,

mycelium prefers acidic substrates and bulk shouldnt need to be ph balanced. only casing layers need to be balanced to 8 that moulds dont like. since a casing layer wont fully colinise.

what was the ph of your bulk? i believe 6 is optimal

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinepsilopod
P'funk
Male User Gallery

Re: Substrate Not Colonizing (she kicked into gear :) [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10766813 - 07/30/09 06:55 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

By pH being high I mean around 8, it's city water :crazy2:  I should have tested it before hand but I hadn't thought of it.  The pH adjusted trays are doing much better than the first one but that might just be spawn ratio as I said.  I know that they like it a little acidic, which with the coco it usually is a little, but as I mentioned I hadn't tested the water which was leaning basic at around 8.  I'm pretty sure everything is back in line again.

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10766840 - 07/30/09 07:04 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

ah yeah thats a bit alkaline for mushroom mycelium, im surprised drinking water shifted it so much, must be alone of chlorine in there.

I would probably avoid using it and use bottled spring water instead.

Mycelium though should still tolerate that, though it could slow things down a bit, i wouldnt think it would slow it that much, as a casing layer ph balanced to 7-8 still colinises fairly quick.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale