Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Mycobags

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebowling-name
sleuth

Loc: Mirror in the Sky
Thermal death: visual vs. behavioral determination
    #1073865 - 11/21/02 03:19 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

October 15th: Four mycobags were innoculated with T.H.E.'s Koh Samui strain multispore solution. Lost one bag quickly to green mold, but the other three were colonizing at a reasonable pace (at room temperature ~70F in complete darkness) considering my heater failed.

About a week ago I took a look at them, and to my horror discovered that the aquarium heater had come back on and was overheating the incubation environment to approximately 105 degrees! I hadn't peaked for at least a week before this so I'm not sure how long they were subjected to these temperatures.

Since then: one bag definitely died (exuding a strange rust colored mold at the point of innoculation), and one bag probably died (no signs of healthy mycelium recolonization post-shaking). The mycelium in the third bag still looks white and somewhat rhizomorphic, albeit only 20% colonized or so.

Is (apparent) cessation of growth proof that mycelium is dead, even when it looks fairly healthy? These Thai strains are fairly robust when it comes to heat (a couple years ago, PF-tek-grown Cambodian cubes were fruited following a similar incubation overheating mishap), so I wonder if this bag still has a chance...any suggestions? Should I reinnoculate the one healthy bag (I have a couple CCs of spore solution remaining)? Sorry no pics. Thanks in advance.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Thermal death: visual vs. behavioral determination [Re: bowling-name]
    #1073890 - 11/21/02 03:26 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

If the mycelium still appears to be healthy in your one bag, I say just leave it be in the correct incubation temps, re-inoculating may introduce contams.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Aquarium Heater, Mycobags

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation