Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelolbience
bridgesy eye eye eye
Male

Skipping cacti dormancy
    #10732207 - 07/24/09 10:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Is it possible/wise to continue growing a few of my cacti with HPS over the winter months. I realize that nothing beats direct sunlight, but was wondering if anyone has experience with indoor growing for the winter. I have a couple 150w HPS and a sliding glass door I can put them near, but don't want them to suffer from etiolation. I'd imagine it would prevent them from flowering in the summer, but I think I'd be willing to sacrifice that if they kept growing healthy.

Edited by lolbience (07/24/09 10:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: lolbience]
    #10732577 - 07/24/09 12:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You certainly can use lights and skip dormancy, but many say that the end result is about the same due to rapid growth when the dormant period is over, as opposed to regular year around growth. The biggest problem that you may have is stretching.

EG

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Darkside of the moon Flag
Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: ethnoguy]
    #10732606 - 07/24/09 12:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
You certainly can use lights and skip dormancy, but many say that the end result is about the same due to rapid growth when the dormant period is over, as opposed to regular year around growth. The biggest problem that you may have is stretching.

EG

def. with you ethno guy. its better just to let them sleep it off. nature does what nature does and YES you could chqange that but why would you? just my opinion thats all.

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: ferrel_human]
    #10732619 - 07/24/09 12:19 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

The exception is lophophora IMO. But even those can stretch, but it should straighten out in the Spring. Its all a matter of finding what works for you.

EG

InvisibleMethadone
Opiate
 User Gallery

Loc: El Sur
Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: ferrel_human]
    #10732637 - 07/24/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Its healthier to follow the natural cycle and give your plants a dormancy for at least two months or so.. I can understand wanting to extend growing time if you live in a very chilly area.. but other then that I dont reccomend it. Even so, I still think you should give them a dormancy of no less than two months.

-M

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #10732680 - 07/24/09 12:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lolbience said:
Is it possible/wise to continue growing a few of my cacti with HPS over the winter months. I realize that nothing beats direct sunlight, but was wondering if anyone has experience with indoor growing for the winter. I have a couple 150w HPS and a sliding glass door I can put them near, but don't want them to suffer from etiolation. I'd imagine it would prevent them from flowering in the summer, but I think I'd be willing to sacrifice that if they kept growing healthy.

What exactly are you desiring to accomplish by doing this?
If your winters are too cold for the plants to grow outdoors, then of course it would be wise to bring them indoors. If the lighting is sufficient, then they can continue growing without etiolating.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

Offlinelolbience
bridgesy eye eye eye
Male

Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: satyr]
    #10736208 - 07/25/09 12:00 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys, I didn't really think about their initial growth spurt in the spring. I actually think I'll start with 2 similar size cacti see how they compare to each other. (in size and health)
Quote:

satyr said:

Create a bigger monstrose bridgesii collection.
Because nothing says 'just for aesthetics' like a giant hulk dick centerpiece :awesome:

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: satyr]
    #10736314 - 07/25/09 12:32 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

satyr said:
Quote:

lolbience said:

Well, the growing season ends kind of early near him and he just got some new cacti. Why not put them under the HPS and continue growth since he can keep the temps up indoors - shouldn't that be able to sustain growth for 2-3 cacti without excessive etiolation?

OfflineSMUCKA
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: drift]
    #10736837 - 07/25/09 04:53 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

5 years ago i got my first peyote  i grew it under cfl in winter months. she grew and grew and flowered almost every month. then i put her under hps along with some other ladies. be warned they will melt ur plants if they r tooo close as u can see. from first pic.. but this year iam glad i did do the damage cos now its got 7 pups sprouting outevery where

OfflineBlow_in
Official Taco Handler

Loc: Yettiville
Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: SMUCKA]
    #10736961 - 07/25/09 06:53 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

be warned they will melt ur plants if they r tooo close

That fucking sucks I bet you never do that again,
looks like their recovering slowly but surely.

--------------------

Offlinesatyr
אתה בעצמך יודע

Loc: Alpha Canis Majoris
    #10737037 - 07/25/09 07:34 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

lolbience said:
Thanks guys, I didn't really think about their initial growth spurt in the spring. I actually think I'll start with 2 similar size cacti see how they compare to each other. (in size and health)
Quote:

satyr said:

Create a bigger monstrose bridgesii collection.
Because nothing says 'just for aesthetics' like a giant hulk dick centerpiece :awesome:

Good enough, lol. How big are your specimens by the way? 
As long as they are given enough light, they will be just as healthy those left to dormancy. Remember, some areas where cacti grow wild never have a dormant season.
I live in South Texas where the winters are very mild, and my outdoor cacti continue growing throughout the winter months.

--------------------
Looking for Astrophytum asterias specimens; have cacti for trade :pm:

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
    #10737112 - 07/25/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

cacti do not need a dormant period, you can bring them indoors and use a light during the winter if you want.
bear in mind that they are likely to stretch if not given enough light though, especially trichs.
even a 1000w hps is not enough to keep taller trichs growing well indoors.
the other issue is bugs, an indoor environment is a haven for things such as thrips, mealy bugs and spider mites.

most plants will do better in cultivation if you at least try to mimic their natural habits.
i'm sure that giving your cacti a period of dormancy will have some benefits.

--------------------
View My Gallery

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Re: Skipping cacti dormancy [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #10737314 - 07/25/09 09:46 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

In southern US states such as Florida you can leave them outdoors year long and cover them during the cold snaps (the coldest snaps are usually 20F or so for maybe 2 hours). Just slowing down the watering to once or twice a month would be all you would need at that point.

--------------------
:hanky:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck