Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJN2022
Noob
Monotub FAE/misting quick question
    #10725132 - 07/23/09 02:00 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have a monotub with 4 holes at substrate level filled with polyfill. For the top, I have saran wrap with about 20 pencil sized holes poked in it. These are covered with paper micropore tape. I'm using coir/coffee/gypsum for the sub and 50/50+ casing.

I've started to see a few pins come up today, and the tub is getting indirect sunlight. I have a fan blowing on low, not directly at the tub.

Will this provide enough FAE or should I manually fan?

How often do I need to mist using this method?

Also, I opened the window, allowing outside air to enter the room. This was the only way to get the ambient temps down below 85 deg. Will this increase my chances of contamination?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Re: Monotub FAE/misting quick question [Re: JN2022]
    #10725157 - 07/23/09 02:08 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If you made your tub properly it should get enough FAE and misting should be unnecessary. The monotubs are kind of set and forget.

As for opening the window... it depends on how dirty the inside of your house is versus how dirty the air outside your house is. :wink:

If you're fruiting now then your mycelium should be colonized enough to be able to fight off most invaders, but beyond that you have polyfil or tape over all the holes so it sounds like you shouldn't have any issues.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

OfflineJN2022
Noob
Re: Monotub FAE/misting quick question [Re: radiantthought]
    #10725180 - 07/23/09 02:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I have an extra double tub top with polyfill that's clear so light could get in. Would this be preferable to my current saran wrap setup?

Offlineradiantthought
Like a boss
Male

Loc: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    #10725189 - 07/23/09 02:21 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Just leave it be and see how it goes, it sounds like it's working so far, yeah? If it keeps a good seal around the edges and only lets air pass through the holes you want then it sounds fine to me. No need to go fixing something that isn't broken.

--------------------
I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting. I will use the search function before posting.

This is your new mantra, say it every day when you wake up for good health.

AlexP said: that's a good mantra for week one. The mantra for week two should be: "I will not improvise. I will not improvise. I will not improvise."

Offlinechronosync
kicked the habit. shed my skin.

Re: Monotub FAE/misting quick question [Re: radiantthought]
    #10725196 - 07/23/09 02:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

just let it roll. if it seems dry mist it. fan it after misting, most people agree on the mist-fan-mist approach. either way make sure it gets lots of fresh air and doesnt dry out. if you dont know now, then you will in a few weeks.

:smile:

good luck

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10725290 - 07/23/09 03:45 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

JN2022 said:

Will this provide enough FAE or should I manually fan?

How often do I need to mist using this method?
b]

a. The more manual fanning the better.

b. I've noticed that you really don't need to mist monotubs/doubletubs at all between dunks.  Even with loads of air exchange the high humidity in the tub prevents the sub from drying out too much.  If your substrate is uncased, don't mist at all unless you think the sub is too dry.

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Monotub FAE/misting quick question [Re: Dudester67]
    #10725333 - 07/23/09 04:11 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

if your about fan and mist, if your not,just leave it, i fanned and misted all my last tubs 4 or 5 times a day and it does them no harm at all, preiously i just left 'em.

if you wanna.....do it :thumbup: remember it only takes about 30 secs to fully change the air in your tubs. dont go crazy <> and a couple of squirts is all i normally need afterwards as far as misting goes.

--------------------

OfflineJN2022
Noob
Re: Monotub FAE/misting quick question [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10727040 - 07/23/09 01:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I've got a casing on there...so I guess I won't need to mist. That's going to be a pain to take of all the saran wrap though...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale